• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

7D57F654-DB5E-4453-B7C5-35B77EA50840.thumb.jpeg.adb3cf081136d23be715f745413f4845.jpeg

Grilled sharp cheddar and caramelized onions with a side of pickled onions.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@shain I love the egg salad. Going to have to try that. 

Ham and cheddar on my bread (that I am shamelessly inserting into every thread and real life conversation):

47065D92-8804-4718-856C-43810279B291.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

5 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Looks lovely. What's in it?

Liangpi (凉皮, literally 'cold skin') refers to the noodles, which are made from (usually) wheat starch. It also refers to the dish.

There are various versions of the dish, but this is the most traditional and besides the noodles contained wheat gluten (seitan), cucumber, bean sprouts, garlic, soy sauce, chilli oil and Chinese black vinegar.

The process of making the noodles (and the wheat gluten) is explained well here.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Liangpi (凉皮, literally 'cold skin') refers to the noodles, which are made from (usually) wheat starch. It also refers to the dish.

There are various versions of the dish, but this is the most traditional and besides the noodles contained wheat gluten (seitan), cucumber, bean sprouts, garlic, soy sauce, chilli oil and Chinese black vinegar.

The process of making the noodles (and the wheat gluten) is explained well here.

Not going to make my own noodles. Is this dish cold? Cold noodles would suit me. We are having a hideous heat wave here in northern CA.

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

Not going to make my own noodles. Is this dish cold? Cold noodles would suit me. We are having a hideous heat wave here in northern CA.

Yes, it is served cold, mainly as a street food, even in the middle of winter.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, liuzhou said:

凉皮 (liáng pí)

Looks great. It's been on my list for a while, but there's nowhere to get the noodles or any good seitan. One day I'll get to making it from scratch :)

~ Shai N.

2 minutes ago, shain said:

Looks great. It's been on my list for a while, but there's nowhere to get the noodles or any good seitan. One day I'll get to making it from scratch :)

Well, the great thing is if you make the noodles you also make the seitan!

Just now, liuzhou said:

Well, the great thing is if you make the noodles you also make the seitan!

True, it's seems a fun project. Then I'll also be finally able to make kao fu.

I can't understand why all of the seitan here is as dense as a rubber boots. I guess people expect it to resemble imitation meat (and have the texture of the toughest of overcooked steaks...).

• Sad 1

~ Shai N.

15 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Gazpacho...I didn't peel the tomato before food processor chopping and didn't notice any difference.

Well @Shelby  is alive so she can;t roll over in her grave. Un-peeled - oh my. I never peel.

• Haha 1

810437E3-147B-4333-A145-2DE8DC40316D.thumb.jpeg.448dd92648079744571b62be89390eb0.jpeg

Roasted carrots and sliced, smoked duck breast. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@pastameshugana – that ham looks almost like a Pittsburgh chipped ham sandwich!  So good.

On Saturday we did the preparing and delivering lunches to the homeless shelters.  Got burgers at a local burger place.  Not my favorite burger in Richmond.  I think they aren’t properly balanced as far as the build goes and I find the burgers a little overcooked and dry.   My classic cheeseburger:

IMG_3150.jpg.c88ff94a32085014fca6127e7d5cc435.jpg

Mr. Kim’s with jalapenos.  We shared an order of fries:

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.264e5582bfc7a1652c1cc4cd36110f22.jpg

IMG_3149.thumb.jpg.0ec9a1c109ed01f8e478260d2f56f113.jpg

Good fries.  I will have to remember to say “no seasoned salt” next time.  I really wish places would tell you upfront that they are going to wreck your delicious fries season salt or with anything but salt. 

On Sunday we went out to visit with Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom and picked up lunch on the way home at a local sub shop.  We’d noticed it a couple of weeks ago and wanted to try it.  Mr. Kim got the pepperoni steak and cheese:

IMG_3171.jpg.ac968ef66f5dd85d032056b252d8322c.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg.ec67cb5730746e69350ea2a40d1914bd.jpg

He liked this a LOT.  The pepperoni was very spicy, so I didn’t try it.  I had a sandwich that was SO good that it caused me to be disappointed that they missed a chance to make it perfect.  It was the Thanksgiving sub – roasted turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce:

IMG_3170.thumb.jpg.8bd33cc15c012d744bf5d1c57ae11e43.jpg

Actual roasted, carved turkey, REAL stuffing (not instant), and cranberry sauce.  Where they missed a chance was that the sub was barely warm and should have been HOT and there was no gravy.  I just assumed that a sub with turkey and stuffing would have gravy.  Luckily, I had some in the fridge leftover from dinner last night.  I would honestly say to someone to only order it if they have access to good chicken/turkey gravy.  That’s a real shame.  My gravy saving the day:

IMG_3173.thumb.jpg.10e5320fce1c47f5740deeb70d8f7d6c.jpg

Wonderful fries:

IMG_3169.jpg.9e44a8692b2e9cbd2bf000b60af9f0b6.jpg

Unfortunately, another place that sprinkles season salt on unannounced.  Nonetheless, these were almost finished in the car on the way home!  So good. 

Mr. Kim is working from home today.  I had some leftover biscuits:

IMG_3175.jpg.758bf0b453c8f0c4881afe49a9d2c488.jpg

So, I made sausage gravy and hash browns (frozen😟) for lunch:

IMG_3176.thumb.jpg.3eb09fba1fabc57fed073761d9eb2d14.jpg

Served with watermelon:

IMG_3174.thumb.jpg.6b393df9552597948928d31b5d7ba800.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1