• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Saturday was making and delivering 100 lunches to the shelters again.  We stopped at our favoirte hamburger stand for lunch afterwards.  Mr. Kim had the burger and I had the bologna burger.  We shared their fantastic fries:

IMG_2876.thumb.JPG.816004640fe292e1a40531bf90f9d562.JPG

IMG_2880.jpg.6f1f53af0cb1d97de79b7f3a5f55fe7d.jpg

IMG_2874.thumb.jpg.7a93667c914cdcf45f60222c63b62f5b.jpg

We picked up dessert at a favorite bakery, Paocakes Bake Shop.  We shared a PB cooky:

IMG_2884.thumb.jpg.ec7f5299611dbaa566b89eb54860297a.jpg

With a smashed Reeses Cup on top.  I am not usually a big fan of most bakery cookies.  This place makes some of the best cookies I’ve ever tasted.  Jessica had their very good cheesecake:

IMG_2885.jpg.7985194e613b2ae64bae251d647832b6.jpg

Mr. Kim had a Napoleon:

IMG_2886.jpg.b5fb698fdd7ce0e763cec5a96920d6a3.jpg

And I got a Tres Leches:

IMG_2887.thumb.jpg.4e11162ed9f08b7c7aacd6f23d194250.jpg

Not as soaked as the one that we had from the arepa place awhile back, but very good.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

you are doing such fine work 1

pls stay safe !

Thank you!  We are really staying safe.  No one has been using the church kitchen since the beginning of all of this.  And we set the bags of packed lunches and drinks down outside the doors and the volunteers pick them up.  No contact for us.  And we combine the shopping with our own shopping so that we limit the number of exposures.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I messed around and accidentally made a grain bowl.   Quinoa mixed with rice vinegar, sesame oil, sweet sauce and little dollops of chinese mustard... Little broccoli cooked in salt water mixed with sherry vinegar.  Three lettuces, thinly sliced fennel of the pungent green market variety,  mixed with just  salt and a lot of rice vinegar and grilled squash with a ginger peanut sauce.   No sort of planning, it all came together. 

50131424978_76a2b2dc27_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Guilty pleasure, when lunch is usually a salad and the summer tomatoes are so good: instead, taking a slice of that tomato and piling it on a sandwich with baby greens, mayo, mustard, cheddar, salami, all on toast. I'll worry about the calorie count somewhere else.

20200725_141755.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pretty much this recipe: Oven-Roasted Zucchini with Collard-Peanut Pesto and Roasted Peanuts from Bryant Terry's Vegetable Kingdom, with some minor  modifications. 

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.4b57b1c684cf530275aa251fdf495c0a.jpeg

In the pesto, I included the zest of half a lemon and extra juice and added a big handful of parsley after tasting as I like the little touch of bitterness it adds.  

I cooked the zucchini on a grill pan because I didn't want to turn on the oven and threw a handful of cherry tomatoes on to the grill pan to brighten things up. 

Solid recipe that I look forward to playing with.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

@blue_dolphin, that recipe looks very appealing. What do you think would work as an alternate green in the pesto, since I am not sure I have seen collards in my local market?

Kale would work for sure.  I've made several kale pestos.  I think most cooking greens or a mixture of them would work well.  Swiss chard and spinach can be a little sweet on their own but would be good with turnip greens, radish tops, carrot tops, etc. mixed in. 

33 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

@blue_dolphin, that recipe looks very appealing. What do you think would work as an alternate green in the pesto, since I am not sure I have seen collards in my local market?

How about arugula?  I just saw them make an arugula pesto on ATK with almonds, anchovy, and some other stuff.  I nabbed the recipe and will be trying it soon (I hope) with some roasted salmon.  

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pretty much this recipe: Oven-Roasted Zucchini with Collard-Peanut Pesto and Roasted Peanuts from Bryant Terry's Vegetable Kingdom, with some minor  modifications. 

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.4b57b1c684cf530275aa251fdf495c0a.jpeg

In the pesto, I included the zest of half a lemon and extra juice and added a big handful of parsley after tasting as I like the little touch of bitterness it adds.  

I cooked the zucchini on a grill pan because I didn't want to turn on the oven and threw a handful of cherry tomatoes on to the grill pan to brighten things up. 

Solid recipe that I look forward to playing with.

Have you ever thought about opening a restaurant?  Pre-pandemic, of course.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Cherry dumplings again. This time with a boozy cherry sauce, thickened with macadamia.

NytenWT.jpg

Enough scotch in the cherry sauce to fail a surprise breathalyser test.

g76vEI2.jpg

y4HpJqA.jpg

Went biking the other day (74km/45mi distance covered)

gRMoQHf.jpg

Cottage cheese and radish shoots

imptmeh.jpg

Egg

7gmJUQR.jpg

Cheese

cP8PtFQ.jpg

Where I stopped for a lunch break

P1E5nWY.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 5:14 AM, pastameshugana said:

Can you elaborate on the cherry dumplings?

It's really simple. Fill dumpling wrappers with pitted cherries, seal and boil until surface. Keep it simple so that I can enjoy other components with the dumplings.

• Like 7

@BonVivant your cherry dumplings are so lovely. Have you ever tried making them--or other fruit dumplings--in potsticker fashion to get a crispy bottom? I've made "apple wonton fritters" doing a shallow fry so they are crispy, but never thought to use round dumpling wrappers for a fruity snack. Sounds so good!

11 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Cherry dumplings again. This time with a boozy cherry sauce, thickened with macadamia.

NytenWT.jpg

Enough scotch in the cherry sauce to fail a surprise breathalyser test.

g76vEI2.jpg

y4HpJqA.jpg

Went biking the other day (74km/45mi distance covered)

It's really simple. Fill dumpling wrappers with pitted cherries, seal and boil until surface. Keep it simple so that I can enjoy other components with the dumplings.

Are they sweet cherries or sour cherries?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I gave in to a craving and went through the Krystal drivethrough. For the uninitiated, Krystal is the S.E. US answer to White Castle: small, square pre-fab parties, grilled chopped onion, a single dill pickle slice, copious quantities of yellow mustard, steamed bun. God help me, I love 'em...About once every two years. 

Child C and I stopped by after a school clothes shopping expedition. Ii nadvertently shared with her one of my basic Krystals,  and in return wound up eating one of her Krystals with bacon, which is an abomination, because on a regular Krystal, there is little that resembles meat. We ate en route home, as they are presently drive-through only, not that Krystal dining rooms were much to brag about. And they were out of Diet Coke and Coke Zero. 

My digestive tract was in rebellion no more than two hours later. Which I expected, given gluten, let alone the rest. But, damn, they were good!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fried Egg Bánh Mì from Cook Like A Local. The recipe is available online here.

IMG_2811.thumb.jpeg.4c72c8ab551e6c0485ffb6c3554bf9f6.jpeg

Surely the messiest bánh mì I've eaten!  I used Andrea Nguyen's recipe for the rolls and to pickle carrots and daikon.  I didn't pickle the cucumber, jalapeño or the red bell pepper I added. This recipe uses a fish sauce-mayo that was an interesting alternative to the usual Maggi seasoning.  I meant to add bacon but forgot. Didn't really miss it. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link to recipe (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

6C0ECD33-1CB8-4B1A-B583-1E3ACDA4F7EA.thumb.jpeg.d20f10ce0a307e21ae464a0409f8332a.jpeg

Simple but truly awesome lunch. Two open-faced sandwiches— one with smoked duck breast (purchased) and one with a tomato from my daughter’s garden. Bits of each that would not fit onto the bread served as tasty finger food. A little salt was all that was required in the way of seasoning. Now it is naptime. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Open-faced pastrami on rye: the pumpernickel I posted about here, fried in rendered pastrami fat from the pastrami I posted about here. The sauerkraut is the juniper sauerkraut recipe from The Everyday Fermentation Handbook by Brandon Byers, cured for 30 days at around 80°F. The mustard is commercial, a Maille's "Old Style."

Almost certainly the best sandwich I've ever made, and maybe the best I've ever eaten. This is the first time I've made that sauerkraut, and it is fantastic.

DSC_5713.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Back when I still ate red meat (maybe 30 years ago?) pastrami was my deli meat of choice. That looks terrific. And I use that mustard pretty regularly, also.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde