• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Just now, Smithy said:

Thanks, @kayb. I usually get the fisheye if I try to work squash into our diet, but I may try to sneak some in via this method. ;) 

I really think he would like it.  I've used sour cream, Laughing Cow cheese or shredded sharp cheddar.  All are very good.  I have been known to eat it cold for breakfast the next morning.  But, I'm kinda weird.

• Like 1

Just now, kayb said:

I suspect it would be good with zucchini, too. I plan on trying it with eggplant this week when mine get big enough.

I've done it with only zukes or a mix of both yellow and zukes.  All good.

• Like 1

I found a small cured pork belly in the freezer and decided to roast it low & slow ...

C7BB00DD-A985-4F07-B83F-88E6CB5A5FD4.thumb.jpeg.c112583e44a7d69a09420f076d63e707.jpeg

And, in order to fit it into the tiny glass form, I had to trim it generously and made steam-fried dumplings with the leftovers and cabbage ...

202456AD-E053-4626-BEED-5E50BC4CE440.thumb.jpeg.a49a70a6c95f40a69d44e26e2baebc1e.jpeg

C0FA416C-5EA6-40B2-B925-6F3D242769FE.thumb.jpeg.efa42cd0c05079ff692f90e4b5fc08f8.jpeg

At the end, I will have to eat the full pork belly by myself, as my family went exclusively for the dumplings 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Not my usual sort of lunch, but was too busy to cook.

Grana Padano cheese, industrial ham, cornichons (pickled with coriander and onion). tomato, sea salt and black pepper. There was also bread and butter. The plate was reloaded after I ate this lot.

20200702_131014.thumb.jpg.45700c97a63c604221421542bb9196c6.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30671041_Tamales06-30.jpeg.11941237e34f49fbd49c1c4c0ee97ffb.jpeg

Our first takeout in 3 1/2 months. I was on an early lower east side walk a few days ago, and happened by Factory Tamal on Ludlow Street. No one in there, the whole counter area sheeted with plastic, so I popped in and bought 4 just-made tamales. Along with some Rancho Gordo home cooked beans and a salad, a nice lunch was had.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@robirdstx 

Wow   Im so jealous

MLS's are on the Pantheon of

Best Sandwiches Ever !

the Triple Crown of Sandwiches is of course :

( in no particular order , you get the arrange the 3 to your liking .  or have all three at the same time )

Bread in these Sandwiches is very critical .  good crumb , massive Br aroma etc :

the BLT  , w mayo of your choice .  no Miracle Whip too sweet

Turkey Club   or Turkey Sand. , leave out the extra bread

MeatLoaf Sandwich however you like it .    Lettuce , good tomato , mayo never hurt this sandwich 

of course , you might consider the Roast Beef Sandwich 

as above for bread , lettuce , mayo , tomato

but , Three is always more interning than 4

that's been well understood for Eons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Olive studded sourdough from the freezer (toasted up nicely) open face tuna (pouch) with a drizzle of balsamic glaze...nice offset to the salty. I'm not a fan of mayo.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@robirdstx– I’ve had meat loaf on the menu list for weeks now.  I believe that sandwich just pushed it up front! 

@rotuts – I agree with your Triumvirate of Sandwiches, though I would add ham to the club (just isn’t a club down here in the south without TWO kinds of pig).  And if you are going to make it four, that roast beef has gotta have horseradish! 😁

Lunch:

IMG_2687.thumb.jpg.2a9e365aa66ef86ffc63b640449059e9.jpg

Fried egg on frozen hash brown patties.  That egg was gorgeous coming out of the pan.  It was @Ashen's method of doing what looks like a sunny side up egg, but without the snot.  You separate the egg, cook and flip the white and then set the yolk on top of the white and cover for a minute.  The white is completely done and the yolk warm, but very runny (as you can see).  But my yolk didn’t adhere to the white properly and slid right off and broke when I tried to set the egg on top of the patty. 😠

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pressed grilled cheese with cheddar, chives, dill, garlic. Omelette with smoked paprika and chives. Eastern European style pickles (with dill flowers, garlic and mustard). Sour cream and Dijon for dipping.

IMG_20200624_222155.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

We crossed the river for lunch yesterday (that is a Big Deal in Richmond – people tend to stay on their home side for everything).  Went to a Mexican café/market that we’d heard good things about. 

IMG_2711.jpg.9981252ed017ebf6f8ac7786a9685c01.jpg

Fried plantains with cotija cheese and crema:

IMG_2712.jpg.9f51105e9f387b5a72ec6b0dae05d6df.jpg

Mr. Kim had the Quesadilla Rellena Especiales – with carne asada:

IMG_2713.thumb.jpg.9694ff006a41230f749a2df41eef91ac.jpg

I had 2 appetizers – a pupusa with pork filling and a sope with…um…pork😊:

IMG_2714.jpg.e8f09cc59fed8066e3ca66bd2c8ff07b.jpg

Everything was very good – definitely worth such a long journey😁

Stopped at Panera for bread for dinner on the way home and got a Cheese Brittany:

IMG_2715.jpg.585bf8dac80f7e64b8c3e54a2c6d29d2.jpg

It was much better than I expected – the pastry was lovely.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

We crossed the river for lunch yesterday (that is a Big Deal in Richmond – people tend to stay on their home side for everything). 

It's the same in Saint John, where I live. People who live on one or the other side of the Harbour Bridge tend to stay there, and the insularity of those west of the bridge is a particular source of teasing. One local radio station, playing on this, has an audio "tag" that says "Like a West-sider crossing the Harbour Bridge...we refuse to do anything but rock!"

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

We lived on the Southside for a little while after we got married and getting Mr. Kim's family to come for dinner was a huge deal.  And they would only come on weekends - never on a weeknight.  We were no further away from them than other people that they visited often, but crossing that river!  

Trashy yes but delicious “Mexican” Taco dip. Just cream cheese, spinach, a packet of taco seasoning, a jar of salsa and a Mexican cheese blend baked. we are pigging out this weekend. 

0E33718B-3AE9-481C-A803-8A4C6FDF15EE.jpeg

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

On 7/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, robirdstx said:

2E6E77F6-A2F1-4000-8CF9-3DCB71FA2EB5.thumb.jpeg.c63616e98ee1e857b141c48ea1ce3416.jpeg

Meatloaf Sandwich ~ Real Comfort Food

Oh, I love me a meatloaf sandwich!  And that one looks excellent--perfectly simple and without frippery.  On the flip side, I really don't like handling ground meat, and there's also only me to feed, so I don't make meatloaf often.  But I might need to suck it up.

• Like 1

E609B02F-A9EF-4014-B43F-AABE5988D90C.thumb.jpeg.face45ca0668dd5b575ddfce543f0c70.jpeg

two slices of toast – – one with nothing but caramelized onions and the other with smoked duck breast. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Germany meets Vietnam. Briefly fried Vietnamese pork paste, fried potatoes in Iberico fat, soft eggs and lots of gherkins. Just like how Leberkäs is served.

DDZHqEs.jpg

Korean-style noodles with vegs and kimchis

HkLqMCd.jpg

LdZy5FP.jpg

Another batch of radi from the garden

evzbGZF.jpg

On 6/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, Kim Shook said:

the breads that you feature are just remarkable.  I would love to have access to them.

I'm a bread eater and am telling you with all certainty Germany is the country for us.

I almost cry every time I enter a bakery in Germany. Hinkel is an example (a bakery in Düsseldorf). It's often full, and when it is you can't see the inside at all.

yxvk1SM.jpg

Germany blows almost all other countries out of the water when it comes to fantastic breads. The only country I can think of which also has good breads (but they don't have the sheer varieties) is Austria.

PILq8n6.jpg

yt72IGx.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

1616171707_BasquePotatosald07-03.jpeg.2a5411877265a28497f7855560ec9342.jpeg

Basque-style potato tuna salad, along with salad. I just really like the tuna/potato combo...this has a small can of Ortiz and about 1/2 lb. of baby red potatoes.

Have you ever had any bread in France, @BonVivant?  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Id say both countries have sensational breads ,

but different emphasis 

France has ' lighter ' breads , and FR expect the bread to be still warm when they buy it

Germany has denser breads , that keep longer

and go very very well w sausage  and mustard

cheese goes better w FR bread , and sausage goes better w German bread

IMHO

• Like 2