• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't know if I've ever had a really good dirty water dog. I'm a big fan of Nathan's, especially back in the old days when they cooked their fries in beef fat. I also used to like a Gray's Papaya dog, but they were always cheap on the kraut. 

But - Gray's Papaya - on the upper west side?  Or Papaya King on the upper east side?  Or Papaya Dog in Greenwich Village?

And though I loathe Nick Solares, I'll link this here...  The Story of Papaya King, a New York City Original

Wiki   

New York Times

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

But - Gray's Papaya - on the upper west side?  Or Papaya King on the upper east side?  Or Papaya Dog in Greenwich Village?

And though I loathe Nick Solares, I'll link this here...  The Story of Papaya King, a New York City Original

Wiki   

New York Times

The Gray's I used to go to was in the West Village on 6th Ave near 10th St.... it's no longer open and I haven't been to any of the other branches.

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

I don't know if I've ever had a really good dirty water dog. I'm a big fan of Nathan's, especially back in the old days when they cooked their fries in beef fat. I also used to like a Gray's Papaya dog, but they were always cheap on the kraut. 

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a really good dirty water dog. However there might be a very dirty water dog, which would be one you buy in the late afternoon.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Wiki   

New York Times

I've never been able to discern the difference between the Gray's hot dog and the Papaya King hot dog. By the time the sauerkraut and mustard get layered on they taste the same to me. However I will defend the Papaya King juice over the Gray's juice to the death. @weinoo your dog looks perfect. 

• Like 2

Pizza that I froze last week. Reheated in the oven with bottom heat until crisp (so that the sauce won't dry out), then topped with cheese and broiled. 97% as good as fresh :P.

IMG_20200616_143535_1.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

Son’s lunch: noodles (shin ramyun) but with the Kirkland chicken stock (have you tried it? We like it for when I don’t have fresh stock), tea egg and some

pork from yesterday. Me salad and cod and 2 pieces of pizza bianca not in the photo. Husband had a clean the refrigerator lunch and my daughter some minestrone (that I made a couple days ago) and 2 baos from yesterday 

0859EA4A-44BD-40CB-BC57-953928037A6B.jpeg

4E2E97FC-D4DE-4AF3-8103-710FD50F1D3A.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

I made mushrooms on toast for the first time.  I used homemade bread that was spread with some aioli then topped with well cooked brown mushrooms with a good crack of black pepper.  It was delicious and worthy of repeating.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've never been able to discern the difference between the Gray's hot dog and the Papaya King hot dog. By the time the sauerkraut and mustard get layered on they taste the same to me. However I will defend the Papaya King juice over the Gray's juice to the death. @weinoo your dog looks perfect. 

Thank you - it was a good one, even though it's a Hebrew National.  Most of those dogs (Gray's, Papya King, Katz's, et al.) are made by the same producer - allegedly with slightly different recipes for each.

11 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I don’t know. There’s been plenty of times where I’ve wanted a hot dog and didn’t care where I got it. A vendor in Times Square, Criff Dogs, Shea Stadium dogs, Windmill NJ dogs, Max’s in NJ.... 

I wonder if people understand the connection between hot dogs and New Jersey! Slightly different than NYC's connection.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Speaking of @Margaret Pilgrim's rillettes de porc, made yesterday...

940679619_Rillettes06-19.jpeg.09bd0ad585846b18fd5f1f68b3ccc9ba.jpeg

and which were served for lunch today...

1164466072_Rillettessaladetc.06-20IMG_1320.jpeg.b2dfdc2bc547f7963443efd8d6ef599c.jpeg

with tossed greens, artichoke hearts, cornichons and potato salad; what's the use by date?  That is, how long do y'all think they'll keep in the fridge. 

Any charcutiers out there - what about if I added a little pink salt (or whatever the Morton's stuff I bought is called) to the batch after cooking it down?

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

So odd to know LA is way colder than NYC - nice patio meal  We are currently at 66F high and you reportedly 85!

Happens occasionally!

But there are only a few cities I'd trade our climate and everything else for. Or maybe I should say there were only a few cities.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Happens occasionally!

But there are only a few cities I'd trade our climate and everything else for. Or maybe I should say there were only a few cities.

There is a reason NYC is one of 3 cities on my phone temp thingie. And really Cupertino does not count. Virtually enjoying your meal as I sip chicken soup.

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

...there are only a few cities I'd trade our climate and everything else for. Or maybe I should say there were only a few cities.

You know you're entitles when you live in the only place you really would want to live.

eGullet member #80.

After reading this:

On 6/9/2020 at 11:47 AM, Kim Shook said:

I made what I call “Not Wet Egg Salad”. 

I followed Kim's link and read this in the recipe introduction:

...And almost a dry consistency – not really dry, but dry enough to scoop up with an ice cream scoop and hold it’s shape....

So, before I ate my egg salad on toast, I performed the @Kim Shook egg salad test:

IMG_2643.thumb.jpeg.bac980fca0a386b5b3970d67524f1837.jpeg

I didn't necessarily follow the protocol for making the egg salad but I think it's at least, "Not Wet"

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2