• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

On 6/13/2020 at 11:23 AM, Katie Meadow said:

@Kim Shook I always have saltines on hand, but try the sardines on triscuits, a la Gabrielle Hamilton. Here are her instructions, hilariously fussy as always:

Canned Sardines with Triscuits, Dijon Mustard, and Cornchons

Ingredients

1 can sardines in oil 1 dollop Dijon mustard small handful cornichons small handful Triscuit crackers 1 parsley bunch

Directions

1. Buckle the can after you open it to make it easier to lift the sardines out of the oil without breaking them.
  1. Stack the sardines on the plate the same way they looked in the can – more or less. Don’t crisscross or zigzag or otherwise make “restauranty.”
  1. Commit to the full stem of parsley, not just the leaf. Chewing the stems freshens the breath.Reprinted with permission from Prune.

Since you already have sardines in mustard sauce you are halfway there. Since almost choking to death on a triscuit sixty years ago I don't have a long history of keeping them around, but I have to admit that they are very good with sardines. Direction #1 sounds dubious. Buckling a can of open sardines has a high disaster rate, don't you think? I guess if you are charging $12 for a sardine appetizer you want them looking pristine and whole. Rest in Peace, Prune.

That's kind of hilarious.  I do like the idea of wheaty Triscuits with the sardines, but won't be buckling my cans anytime soon.  Trying to bend a slippery, oily can full of stinky fish sounds like an "I will never again..." comment in the making!  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

In the back garden.

pyXkftY.jpg

Made various potted things for a picnic in the back garden. Pâtés, North Sea shrimp, tomatoes etc.

HmZ0PzP.jpg

This time I rendered this Iberico fat for the potted shrimp.

7dQa8kA.jpg

Minimalist Banh Mi

wf5sdxU.jpg

DE4izSO.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, heidih said:

I am Donau-Swabian. Clearly Alte Oma who cooked the family meals was holding back!

You can make it now. Look up "Schwäbische Wurstknöpfle"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That's kind of hilarious.  I do like the idea of wheaty Triscuits with the sardines, but won't be buckling my cans anytime soon.  Trying to bend a slippery, oily can full of stinky fish sounds like an "I will never again..." comment in the making!  

Actually, I have cut my hand on a pull-tab tuna can. It was a pretty deep slice (no stitches required). So, I am really careful with those kinds of cans now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Agreed. First there will be the cut on your finger. The there will be an oil spill, colored red. @JoNorvelleWalker don't even think about it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Made some stuff to take out to Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom on Saturday.  According to her two daughters and grown granddaughter, THIS is how they like their tuna salad:

IMG_2475.jpg.1e470a18289682472dc1a4827e088667.jpg

Tuna and mayo.  Nothing else.  Mr. Kim and I started calling it “tunnaise”.  Well, upon checking with his stepmom, they actually like it with relish and maybe an egg.  I chopped up some sweet pickle and they liked it just fine.  LOL

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Kim Shook cooking for others with ingrained tastes is tough. " Good on ya" as they say :)

You've never had a child who won't eat blueberries or mushrooms?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Finely sliced smoked tofu, flavored with pastrami spices, smoked paprika, malt, a little MSG Served warm in rye bread with coleslaw, the latter lightly flavored with fennel. Pickles.

IMG_20200613_220130_1.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

12 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Franci We definitely need a drool button... the only thing better would be a closeup of the sliced char siu in the bun with sauce/fixins... that would be unbelievably drool-worthy!

🤣 I have left overs, let’s see if they let me take a picture at dinner 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Life is not all lobster and steak, y'know...

8602544_Hotdog06-16IMG_1288.jpeg.d1a7a88b64959f4a58e9aace8588438b.jpeg

Every once in a while, it's a frankfurter with mustard and sauerkraut, on a lightly toasted Martin's potato bun. Leftover potatoes on the side. A sparkling rosé to drink.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

52 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've been jonesing for a good hot dog with sauerkraut and mustard for a while now...

Yes, but his does not look like a dirty water dog.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, but his does not look like a dirty water dog.

I don't know if I've ever had a really good dirty water dog. I'm a big fan of Nathan's, especially back in the old days when they cooked their fries in beef fat. I also used to like a Gray's Papaya dog, but they were always cheap on the kraut. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1