• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

404982092_Saladschickeandmac06-07.jpeg.2687785c10c6debb86047af4680d9987.jpeg

As mentioned over in the Food in the time of pandemic topic, chicken salad made with the cooked breast meat. Macaroni salad, for which the add-ins are sautéed lightly. Said add-ins included shallots, carrots, celery, spring onion. Scallions and roasted red peppers in there too, and a light mayonnaise dressing. The chicken salad had mostly raw add-ins including roasted red pepper, celery, shallots, chives, parsley, capers in a mustardy vinaigrette.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Loooved this salad, made with truroots sprouted mung beans but according to one of my favorite recipes from Ripailles, the lentils salad. Don’t have savora or walnut oil (in next shopping trip) but I use a honey pecan mustard and some extra walnuts in the salad. Lovely 

9B8265A1-9D28-4462-9C4A-2ABA8C8BEAFE.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Tagliatelle with mushrooms and cream, not too heavy. Thyme, garlic, chili, nutmeg, pepper. Topped with toasted breadcrumbs with chives, pepper and nutmeg. Semi-dry rose wine.

IMG_20200603_220524.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

@chefmd – Russian black bread!  Oh, man, I miss that stuff.  When I was a kid in Alexandria, my mom used to get it at Giant and we’d spread it with cream cheese and pile smoked salmon on top and FEAST!  I’ve never found it in Richmond. 

Yesterday:

IMG_2438.thumb.jpg.c8280e8ad7371d3f965eae699b9e9bb1.jpg 

The last of the sausage balls from the freezer.

As I said in the Breakfast thread: “I am going to be doing a lot of cooking for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom for some time now.  His dad has dementia and his stepmom fell down the stairs last week and broke her foot and is in bed for a while.  She seems to be having some memory issues also; before her accident she was apparently buying tons of food, but cooking nothing and his sisters have discovered food in the pantry and freezers that expired years ago.  Not sure how it will all work out in the long run, but for right now we are all going to provide what help we can.”  For them for lunches, I made what I call “Not Wet Egg Salad”.  Mashing my eggs the way someone advised over 15 years ago on Chowhound.  That was before I had much of a presence here. I’ve done it this way ever since. 

IMG_2431.thumb.jpg.8b8bf4e23f7aee272fda691d4bfd64fa.jpg

Perfectly “chopped”:

IMG_2432.jpg.ab9c5bc1d0b6f87fdff9b2c433c4439f.jpg

Egg salad:

IMG_2433.jpg.594110668dbbc721f00bbe18a5961df6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook, besides HB eggs, what else is in your “Not Wet Egg Salad”? Any mayo at all? Looks like there are some pickled jalapeno peppers? TIA!

Here's the link to the recipe.  It is more a method than a recipe.  A tiny bit of mayo - less than you think it needs.  I sometimes add sweet pickle relish or chopped sweet pickles.  That was relish.  

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 10:14 PM, Okanagancook said:

Canned sardines scream out for fresh cracked pepper.  I like mine on crunchy toast.

So do I but have no way to toast the baguettes since my toaster oven commited suicide. I'll buy  a new one soon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch in a local noodle joint. 老友分 (lǎo yǒu fēn) or "Old Friend Noodles". A specialty of Nanning, this is rice noodles with tomato, pickled bamboo shoots,  chili,  fermented black  beans,  garlic, scallion, and of course pork. ¥8 or $1.13 (USD). Cell phone picture.

laoyoufen.thumb.jpg.dcc7e857a8a6327ddb83e0eadcacdd32.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Lunch in a local noodle joint. 老友分 (lǎo yǒu fēn) or "Old Friend Noodles". A specialty of Nanning, this is rice noodles with tomato, pickled bamboo shoots,  chili,  fermented black  beans,  garlic, scallion, and of course pork. ¥8 or $1.13 (USD). Cell phone picture.

laoyoufen.thumb.jpg.dcc7e857a8a6327ddb83e0eadcacdd32.jpg

So the fermented black beans are just floating in the broth? New to me.

@Kim Shook I always have saltines on hand, but try the sardines on triscuits, a la Gabrielle Hamilton. Here are her instructions, hilariously fussy as always:

Canned Sardines with Triscuits, Dijon Mustard, and Cornchons

Ingredients

1 can sardines in oil 1 dollop Dijon mustard small handful cornichons small handful Triscuit crackers 1 parsley bunch

Directions

1. Buckle the can after you open it to make it easier to lift the sardines out of the oil without breaking them.
  1. Stack the sardines on the plate the same way they looked in the can – more or less. Don’t crisscross or zigzag or otherwise make “restauranty.”
  1. Commit to the full stem of parsley, not just the leaf. Chewing the stems freshens the breath.Reprinted with permission from Prune.

Since you already have sardines in mustard sauce you are halfway there. Since almost choking to death on a triscuit sixty years ago I don't have a long history of keeping them around, but I have to admit that they are very good with sardines. Direction #1 sounds dubious. Buckling a can of open sardines has a high disaster rate, don't you think? I guess if you are charging $12 for a sardine appetizer you want them looking pristine and whole. Rest in Peace, Prune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Local river snails fried with pickled chilli and pickled bamboo shoot. This dish is a local specialty.

The snails look small. Do you just suck them out of the shell or do you have special snail forks?

24 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The snails look small. Do you just suck them out of the shell or do you have special snail forks?

They are small, yes. Everyone uses toothpicks to get the meat out, then sucks out the juices. Slow eating, but so good!

• Like 1