• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Baked pollock fillet crusted with gluten free bread crumbs on gluten free bread with butter lettuce and homemade tartar sauce for Johnnybird as we were checking the bluebird trail on post(Picatinny Arsenal).

I ate just before we left and will eat later - I hate to eat in the field.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We were out doing Costco and grocery and I thought this was going to be my breakfast/lunch:

IMG_2370.thumb.jpg.17e477291b0107977d90e6b9eead97e3.jpg

Vanilla soft serve with a strawberry swirl.  They have 8 different swirl flavors.  I intend to try all 8.  I thought I saw root beer, which seems unlikely, but I hope I’m right!  Very creamy soft serve.  The swirl could have had a stronger flavor.  Turned out that Mike took pity on me and stopped by McD’s to get me a Big Mac (it was supposed to be one of those 1 patty, 2 piece bun mini Macs, but they aren’t making them right now).  It hit the spot:

IMG_2373.jpg.cb37156e8ffecdbbaea538233903cdd0.jpg

(sorry for the picture, but I didn’t think to take it until I was half-way through).  This is Mr. Kim’s lunch:

IMG_2372.jpg.d65a31e07c8551cbdd47f34a6bad19fd.jpg

Guess which one of us has lost 8 lbs. in the last two weeks? 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Leftovers turned into Laksa ...

Tom Kha Gai ramped up with curry paste and fish stock, topped with Saturday‘s grilled chicken, blanched bean sprouts, 6.5 min eggs and fried onions. Coriander. Belly full, fridge clean - happy Duvel 🤗

86B57AA4-DCD2-4EC5-88CD-71691BD53FA6.thumb.jpeg.2c28d5f137f1a0945436d3b0f6d7d65b.jpeg

E72AC24F-B493-4C23-89AF-8DCB7687F7DF.thumb.jpeg.056cff5196534e2d7a71c6e9fd81b9d0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

19 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

We were out doing Costco and grocery and I thought this was going to be my breakfast/lunch:

IMG_2370.thumb.jpg.17e477291b0107977d90e6b9eead97e3.jpg

Vanilla soft serve with a strawberry swirl.  They have 8 different swirl flavors.  I intend to try all 8.

Now, that's dedication.

You must report back.

• Like 1

Butter lettuces, peppadews, olives, croutons and some chopped up anitipasto that I found in the dairy as a "manager's special".  I've been looking for and buying this lately as it gives me the best bang for my buck.  John does not eat any of those "fatty meats".  OK....not much, more veg and just enough for a good lunch.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've discovered a line of frozen Mexican entrees (they may have others, but the Mexican is what I buy) called Amy's. Gluten-free, and a higher quality than most frozen meals. Today it was cheese enchiladas, for which I'd been jonesing. Stopped by a favorite Italian restaurant last night to pick up carryout and got canneloni, on the basis it was kinda like enchiladas but Italian. Today, the real thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lunch today was Alex Raij’s Croissants a la Plancha - new recipe to me that I found on food52.com.  Honey-Vanilla Butter:

IMG_2383.jpg.9a5b0732d25ea4f514d5eeef1175f5fb.jpg

I love those little specks! 

Croissant split and browned in butter, served with the butter and some FROG jam (Fig, Raspberry, Orange, Ginger):

IMG_2385.jpg.354ed6a8b549a7be7fdb4bb789912859.jpg

This was SO good.  I actually liked it better than French toast and it was so much easier. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I've discovered a line of frozen Mexican entrees (they may have others, but the Mexican is what I buy) called Amy's. Gluten-free, and a higher quality than most frozen meals. Today it was cheese enchiladas, for which I'd been jonesing. Stopped by a favorite Italian restaurant last night to pick up carryout and got canneloni, on the basis it was kinda like enchiladas but Italian. Today, the real thing.

I have been eating that brand for a couple of years, good for a frozen meal...Amy's has a pretty good Indian meal (not highly spiced, but comforting) that I like - Palak paneer with beans and basmati rice. For frozen prepared meals, the quality overall is a cut above.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 6/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, kayb said:

I used to buy those (@Harris Teeter!), and that brand specifically, for Significant Eater to cook in the microwave when I wasn't in DC. Good product, not too crazy on the sodium levels, and stuff that she likes. 

For lunch the other day, with a tossed salad...

625430984_TumminiaBusiatepesto06-03.jpeg.3f5f78a3eef13059800acd5f3d91845d.jpeg

Tumminia busiate (made from an ancient grain in Sicily), with a less than traditional pesto. In Sicily, and for this pasta specifically, the traditional pesto, called Pesto Alla Trapanese, is made with basil, almonds and tomatoes, much different than a Ligurian pesto.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

This is the last of my Teochew style Bak Kut Teh...  It's not traditional served with noodles or chicken for that matter.... usually it's served with the pork ribs with which the broth is made... but we're trying to be healthy while getting the flavor - so I did it with chicken breast marinated in soy and cooked in the broth which winds up being a good vehicle for the broth flavor of garlic and a specific black pepper (some use white pepper).  Also, note the new noodle bowls!!!  The recommendation of Miya was a great one - affordable bowls, and they arrived on Tuesday when I ordered them over the weekend!  Also, untraditionally, we had a Merry Edwards pinot noir, which had a great fruity-ness and went really well with the very savory broth - though traditionally, it would be served with tea, hence the "Teh" in the name...

IMG_20200606_124958.thumb.jpg.093edc732bd12cb882a045abad647ba6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 5/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, MokaPot said:

@KennethT, I had good experiences ordering dishes from this company (Miya). It's Japanese stuff, but I think they have large bowls that aren't shallow. You can buy as many as you need. IIRC, they ship from New Jersey, USA.

https://www.miyacompany.com/

Oh, you enablers! I love bowls! Finally visited the site today. Now, decisions, decisions...

• Like 2

Swabian dumplings with Wurst (small bits inside). A Swabian home-style dish I haven't seen on restaurant menus yet.

3DIrmrQ.jpg

n2bFQMc.jpg

2 more weeks and the season is over.

EZ881AL.jpg

kmTDpVi.jpg

PcwrNNH.jpg

Cooked these gyoza stle (fried in a pan then added water to steam). I used Peking duck wrappers. Filling has smoked tofu, carrots and (preserved, salted) turnip greens.

Uc3Datg.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Swabian dumplings with Wurst (small bits inside). A Swabian home-style dish I haven't seen on restaurant menus yet.

3DIrmrQ.jpg

n2bFQMc.jpg

I am Donau-Swabian. Clearly Alte Oma who cooked the family meals was holding back!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2