• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Ossobuco in bianco, served with sweet potato mash & gremolata. Please disregard the splatters around the plate, the little one had to “steal” my marrow bone ...

1A104481-A3FA-478D-A8D7-4723BEC30F44.thumb.jpeg.c4849b4490524d00aa73f113be7a21a5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, BKEats said:

Which place

Xe May - it's a tiny underground shop on St. Marks between 1st Ave and Ave A in the East Village...  Their bread could be better - it's not as crispy on the outside and soft/fluffy on the inside as most are in Saigon, but for NY, it's one of the better breads for this sandwich.  And their flavors are great.  I'm a big fan of the 'Pilot' which is lemongrass grilled chicken - it's tasty and not nearly as bad for you as all of the pork options... but I'll still get a classic one from time to time, doctor be damned!

ETA - also, since now it's only takeout, the bread loses something during transit - in our case, about a 5 minute walk...  during normal times, we'd eat in the place (it has about 5 seats) and it's better that way...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Cream of leftover roasted vegetables (mostly broccoli) soup with leftover roasted chicken.   Garlic chives make everything better.  

Those chives are such a powerhouse. I called my local IGC (independent garden center) and they are out but sourcing seed, I refer to support them though internet available.

• Like 1

437790413_Ramen05-2r4IMG_1045.jpeg.965e649a2569a7435919bd232755737b.jpeg

Neither ramen nor udon noodle soup. Chicken stock + mushroom stock for the soup, with lotsa vegetables including celery, carrots, mushrooms, pea, spring onions, scallions, radishes. A little chicken heated up in the broth as well. These were the Korean noodles used...

657117502_NoodlesKoreanwheat.jpeg.f19f2fc82886d4411f130ac3ce22a6f3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I rode a bike from Flatiron to my place in Brooklyn yesterday... It was like an hour ride and over the williamsburg bridge.  It was a beautiful day... Stopped at the greenmarket in Union Square and purchased some beautiful vegetables.. broccoli picked that day, red sorrel and green sorrel, arugula flowers, red watercress pea shoots and a pretty lettuce.   Biked 15 miles yesterday as well as today 

Here is the lettuce:

49944197507_594043546a_z.jpg

Sliced the broccoli thin and kept it long... Add everything together minus the flowers and the red sorrel.. that needs to be cooked.  

49946173642_44a3abfa5b_z.jpg

made a miso  ginger dressing... smashed ginger, add soy and sesame, a little vinegar, a little neutral oil. 

oh and this:

49946173362_b8eb559f24_z.jpg

Super healthy...

49945382513_146efca678_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

I rode a bike from Flatiron to my place in Brooklyn yesterday... It was like an hour ride and over the williamsburg bridge.  It was a beautiful day... Stopped at the greenmarket in Union Square and purchased some beautiful vegetables.. broccoli picked that day, red sorrel and green sorrel, arugula flowers, red watercress pea shoots and a pretty lettuce.   Biked 15 miles yesterday as well as today 

Here is the lettuce:

49944197507_594043546a_z.jpg

Sliced the broccoli thin and kept it long... Add everything together minus the flowers and the red sorrel.. that needs to be cooked.  

49946173642_44a3abfa5b_z.jpg

Show off! - just kidding. I applaud your ride and lust for your greens. Lucky fmily meal. 

• Like 3

20931372_Pizza4day05-28IMG_1084.jpeg.e8af5ae9dfbadf9d8bcd7e0ab5617aa6.jpeg

Found a little dough from my last focaccia effort, hiding itself in the fridge; so whether it's 72-hour or even 96-hour, made a pizza with it. Topped with another fridge stowaway, the tomato sauce, some mozzarella and parm. Was quite tasty.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Homemade Thai Chicken noodle soup... With a beautiful chenin.... Because it's Saturday!

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200530130148910_COVER-01.thumb.jpeg.6bf8412b0f8b0143a8e6ac7a7f89e58f.jpeg

BTW, I need new soup bowls for these Asian noodle soups and noodle bowls.... Any suggestions? I can't make it down to Chinatown any time soon....

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Homemade Thai Chicken noodle soup... With a beautiful chenin.... Because it's Saturday!

BTW, I need new soup bowls for these Asian noodle soups and noodle bowls.... Any suggestions? I can't make it down to Chinatown any time soon....

I like the simplicity and price of these Pottery Barn ones (4/$20) My favorite are from Target (by Furio) long go (both Italian).

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/classic-coupe-soup-bowl-set-of-4/?catalogId=84&sku=4538844&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Kitchen %26 Dining > Bowls&cm_ite=4538844&gclid=CjwKCAjwiMj2BRBFEiwAYfTbCm68-rUtRj7cJ6RVA2JRWeERlrZCbnI0yCCQyqyqzI_RjcTEyIu3FRoCuDsQAvD_BwE

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

I'm trying to get away from the wide shallow bowl to a deeper one commonly used in Asia... a plus if made from melamine or some other mostly indestructible (and cheap) material....

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm trying to get away from the wide shallow bowl to a deeper one commonly used in Asia... a plus if made from melamine or some other mostly indestructible (and cheap) material....

Well then Chinatown or HMart or whatever you have is the playing field. 

ETA: I have  melamine aversion but they are out there in spades. Just a click away depending on shipping issues  https://www.webstaurantstore.com/thunder-group-3004tr-longevity-12-oz-round-melamine-rice-bowl-case a one of bazillions

Edited by heidih (log)

Exciting stuff in veggie land... Went to the local farmers market.. got there at 930... I may have show up at 6 o clock at night... place was mobbed.. i picked up asparagus and three lettuces from the same guy.. Beautiful stuff but, i was hoping for cauliflower to smoke and grill.   Whatever.. 

This was 16 bucks.  Just to give people a reference.. three heads of lettuce 4 servings and 5 servings of asparagus..  It's 2 bucks a portion.   

49953370382_26952aa88e_z.jpg

I made a ginger scallion sauce.. soy, rice wine vinegar, ginger, sesame, veg oil.  

49953370252_a38c3555fa_z.jpg

The salad was the three lettuces, sorrel, pea shoots, red watercress, avocado, peeled carrots, raw asparagus sliced thin and long on an angle, with little tomato quarters. 

49953383747_ba9c9d7bc1_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Exciting stuff in veggie land... Went to the local farmers market.. got there at 930... I may have show up at 6 o clock at night... place was mobbed.. i picked up asparagus and three lettuces from the same guy.. Beautiful stuff but, i was hoping for cauliflower to smoke and grill.   Whatever.. 

This was 16 bucks.  Just to give people a reference.. three heads of lettuce 4 servings and 5 servings of asparagus..  It's 2 bucks a portion.   

For nice produce from a farmers market - decent pricing. Umm isn't it getting a little warm for north American cauliflower? Will check out mine tomorrow. The guys did have these unseasonal mini mini br sprouts last week?!

35 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@KennethT, I had good experiences ordering dishes from this company (Miya). It's Japanese stuff, but I think they have large bowls that aren't shallow. You can buy as many as you need. IIRC, they ship from New Jersey, USA.

https://www.miyacompany.com/

Fantastic!  Exactly what I was looking for!!!!!  Thanks!