• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Chickpeas salad with Roquefort, basil, mint, rosemary, pepper, olive oil.

The smallest of our modest potato harvest. Baked  and filled with cheddar, pepper and rosemary.

IMG_20200427_215730.jpg

IMG_20200427_221044.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

While out yesterday, we picked up lunch at Pop’s Dogs & Ma’s Burgers (a tiny little place - you walk in and there is a counter across the entire place in front of you - a cash register in the middle and 3 stools on either end:

IMG_1993.jpg.18ca0a7e7f1eb2f29b4e98cabf406a13.jpg

Mr. Kim’s burger was slightly overcooked, but otherwise perfect – great griddle char.  They had run out of hot dog buns, so my dog was wrapped up in a piece of white bread:

IMG_1994.jpg.f5c980f60ab57a7f4404a765c02dd127.jpg

I loved it – reminded me of self-made after school snacks as a little kid.  For some reason, we always had hot dogs, but almost never had buns!

• Like 7

Ronnie simmered some Broadbent's ham for a while yesterday and then put it through the grinder.  He wanted ham salad.  Hard boiled eggs, mayo, pepper, sweet dill relish, onion and celery chopped very small in the food processor.

thumbnail_IMG_7755.jpg.6fa8a79ddc243ffa7f9c42c0a2210ee9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7756.jpg.dee1164d778a8b30511c7bf939aedc3d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie simmered some Broadbent's ham for a while yesterday and then put it through the grinder.  He wanted ham salad.  Hard boiled eggs, mayo, pepper, sweet dill relish, onion and celery chopped very small in the food processor.

My first thought was, "Ouch, that's kind of a waste of a special ham!"  

My second thought was, "...or the best ham salad ever!" 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

My first thought was, "Ouch, that's kind of a waste of a special ham!"  

My second thought was, "...or the best ham salad ever!" 🙃

It's really good.  I just had some on a saltine.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb & @Shelby -  I need both of those recipes, please.  I believe I have a little chunk of Edward's in the freezer outside.  And we have crackers still from Christmas Eve!

We used Broadbent's ends of ham.  Ronnie cut most of the fat off of each piece.  Put in a pot, cover with water and lid.  Simmer for 2 hours.  Then he put it through the grinder.....food processor would probably work too.  Then I put one onion and a few celery stalks in the food processor and chopped until small.  Add that plus mayo, mustard, black pepper, hard boiled eggs (2), a splash of LA hot sauce and some garlic powder.  Oh and I used my sweet dill relish....the sweet balances the salty IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@kayb – thanks so much for the link.  It’s funny that its from The Shack.  We have had that on our “must go” list for a while now and have a new nephew-in-law that is from Staunton who would LOVE to go with us.  And Staunton is only about an hour and a half from us! 

@Shelby – thank you, too!  Completely different to the one that Kay posted, but sounds delicious.  Question, though – what is the reason for simmering the ham?  Is it because of saltiness?  Because Edwards (what we buy) isn’t terribly salty.  I’ve never had to de-salt it.  Just curious. 

Made a simple pretzel... it was flour, yeast, brown sugar, salt and then boil and bake, cover in butter... 

49855884831_037a28ef4d_z.jpg

it was really good.. served with a bellota ham, comte and mustard.

Made a few different shapes,  i like just a pretzel stick shape... 

49855884826_0b999ae932_z.jpg

49856188522_6740481b4b_z.jpg

House smell fantastic.. i was happy to have done it. 

Oh no, i forgot to have a beer!

49855346738_3277ce4817_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb – thanks so much for the link.  It’s funny that its from The Shack.  We have had that on our “must go” list for a while now and have a new nephew-in-law that is from Staunton who would LOVE to go with us.  And Staunton is only about an hour and a half from us! 

@Shelby – thank you, too!  Completely different to the one that Kay posted, but sounds delicious.  Question, though – what is the reason for simmering the ham?  Is it because of saltiness?  Because Edwards (what we buy) isn’t terribly salty.  I’ve never had to de-salt it.  Just curious. 

Just to make it more tender......guess we could have tried grinding it without doing that, but then what would keep Ronnie occupied for those 2 hours lol.

• Haha 2

@Duvel 

i have no idea what 

Okonomiyaki

is

Ill google it later 

but it looks tasty 

so Im pleased you can still do Tasty .

w  Dortmunder Union Dark Beer

Im not a Beer Guy

but a million years ago

I has a DRB  on a plate to Europe

I liked it 

and that was that !

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Quick & easy - Okonomiyaki ...

Comfort food. I don't recall - do you have a bonito shaving box?

Beans on toast, cassoulet-style

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.1d1dc2fe96e3c538296c7bfd34ed6053.jpeg

David Lebovitz recently shared this recipe for Cassoulet Toast on his blog.  It's from Susan Spungen's new cookbook, Open Kitchen: Inspired Food for Casual Gatherings.  Luckily, there was no actual gathering here because I nibbled away half of the confit duck leg meant for 4 servings while I was taking the meat off the bones. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Homemade tomato soup with truffled popcorn, this menu by special request.

I should have put that in the COVid19 comfort topic - popcorn and tomato soup.

• Like 1

Falafel, lacouch bread, tahini, yogurt, schug, pickles, tomatoes.

IMG_20200430_115203.thumb.jpg.dbdae31f51de7a222df65265a55a6899.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of "falafel sandwich" (where the falafel is placed in a bread with the veggies and sauces). It's OK, but I much prefer my falafel served as a side dish / appetizer (or only dish, as I did today).

• Like 5

~ Shai N.