• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

6EDA3DB5-1770-4BD6-9B0C-9A6A3EBE864C.thumb.jpeg.0a986917bff8a8ed940207e3795a42f5.jpeg

Chicken pesto scramble. Surprisingly good. Surprisingly easy. Another way to repurpose rotisserie chicken. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Tofu salad with a sauce / dressing made of gochujang & Laoganma spicy chili crisp.

tofu-salad.jpeg

I love Lao Gan Ma!  There is shortage of It recently in my local Asian groceries.

• Like 1

I did not hoard toilet paper.  But I did hoard potatoes, carrots, cabbage and now have to cook with those a lot.  Potatoes and carrots curry with shrimp and mushrooms.

EFA98850-3FEB-4F65-96B8-52FF7158523D.thumb.jpeg.4fcafb77651a64ee4042040dd5cadbb0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook

Mortadella !  

looks like the USA version , no pistachios !

my favorite 1

you are so lucky !

I do look forward to my First

M+LTMayo  sandwich 

on some very fresh , decently crusty bread .

I have a list.

its getting longer and longer 

but  anticipating 

working down this Roster List

puts a smile on my face.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

Mortadella !  

looks like the USA version , no pistachios !

my favorite 1

you are so lucky !

I do look forward to my First

M+LTMayo  sandwich 

on some very fresh , decently crusty bread .

I have a list.

its getting longer and longer 

but  anticipating 

working down this Roster List

puts a smile on my face.

No pistachios - which I really don't mind, but peppercorns - which I do.  I try to ignore them now, but when I was a little girl I would laboriously pick them out of each slice before eating my sandwich.  The worst was when my mom would make salami and mortadella sandwiches and both would have peppercorns.  😄

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, robirdstx said:

Really more of a snack, but this was my lunch today.

C0D0AEED-ED28-4D43-9034-31AA92A6237A.thumb.jpeg.0581fd13211ddee7d4b19c6a2c12eb0b.jpeg

Mock Garlic Toast ~ I use Frigo brand Original String Cheese.

96494F4A-1EF5-490D-B088-0E2EB06EC25E.thumb.jpeg.2a7a9b6bc558d4b94e553e2aa9462d89.jpeg

Melted in a bit of hot oil and seasoned with garlic powder, parsley flakes and parmesan cheese.

74CC20F5-CADD-486E-9E0E-CB1FC64B8A98.thumb.jpeg.854eab8d710181a8755f21a0e10573e7.jpeg

How did I not know about this?  I buy the light string cheese.  Do you think that will work?  

• Like 1

Just now, Kim Shook said:

How did I not know about this?  I buy the light string cheese.  Do you think that will work?  

I haven’t tried it with the light, so can’t say. But I have tried other brands and I have had the best success with the Frigo brand.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chefmd said:

I love Lao Gan Ma!  There is shortage of It recently in my local Asian groceries

Plenty in mine!

20200430_095135.thumb.jpg.025216394ef0b57da47d12b5d9f22409.jpg

Seriously though, imported foods are becoming difficult to find, for obvious reasons. While there is no shortage of locally produced (i.e. China) items, I cannot get my usual cheddar cheese (imported from Ireland) and I've noticed that Japanese Kewpie mayonaisse is gone (not that I ever buy it).

• Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

48 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Seriously though, imported foods are becoming difficult to find, for obvious reasons. While there is no shortage of locally produced (i.e. China) items, I cannot get my usual cheddar cheese (imported from Ireland) and I've noticed that Japanese Kewpie mayonaisse is gone (not that I ever buy it).

Thankfully my Kewpie mayonnaise arrived today.  I have it on amazon subscribe and save.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Went to my favorite little mexican grocery today.. I have been calling them since the quarantine started.  Someone finally picked up, he it was there first day back! 

I got their chilaquiles and some grocery to go... 

Very exciting for the chorizo:

49839313202_cc39ec386a_z.jpg

This is what i texted my wife when she asked, where I was.  I snuck off and brought this back

49838471728_62a183391c_z.jpg

Here are some groceries.. I love their posole.. Their hominy are always awesome too, i asked today,  they showed me where they kept them.. inside some bucket that you have to open, after all these years, i finally asked. 

Some fun stuff, queso hebra, chile arbol, guajilo and ancho.  And then not photographed, 10 little pollito lollipops that I gave out. all but one.

49839313317_3f68d85fca_z.jpg

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, BKEats said:

Went to my favorite little mexican grocery today.. I have been calling them since the quarantine started.  Someone finally picked up, he it was there first day back! 

I got their chilaquiles and some grocery to go... 

Very exciting for the chorizo:

Here are some groceries.. I love their posole.. Their hominy are always awesome too, i asked today,  they showed me where they kept them.. inside some bucket that you have to open, after all these years, i finally asked. 

Some fun stuff, queso hebra, chile arbol, guajilo and ancho.  And then not photographed, 10 little pollito lollipops that I gave out. all but one.

You are killing me. it is all here I just can't get at it. Do post the meals so I can cry in my corner

• Like 1

Robird – bought the Frigo yesterday.  After my last go round with light cheese sticks (put on pizza and they didn’t melt), I figured I’d follow your directions.  Should be doing that soon!

IMG_1985.jpg.33c9333ee514d8a46010b379e86bc65b.jpg

Mortadella and ham on toasted ATK Sandwich bread, chips and salsa and a gorgeous pear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of Significant Eater's favorite things to eat...

1704513653_Burritoleftovers05-01.jpeg.2cf9fb679340b87623a3d065ce7abbf6.jpeg

Leftover poussin and potatoes reheated in the steam girl. An avocado/confit tomatoes/Hatch Valley salsa (TJ's!) thing. House pickled red onions. Easy enough to eat when on computer meetings all day.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?