• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

6 hours ago, chefmd said:

Yesterday’s flatbread topped with base of feta, goat cheese, garlic, cream.  Brie and king oyster mushroom topping.  Baked in pre heated pan in CSO bake steam for about 12 minutes.  Slightly falling apart but very tasty.

A1A6A3B3-C177-46CB-A33D-439800D6396C.thumb.jpeg.353326cc134dc96ad64aebb32b2454b3.jpeg

At first glance, I thought that flatbread had caramelized banana slices on it, and I was reading eagerly to find out what the cheese beneath them was.

6 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

A little baking and grilling today.  I bought 10# of chicken leg quarters and froze the thigh portion for later use.  I deboned the drumsticks and stuffed with homemade Toulouse sausage.  I skinned then bacon wrapped seven portions and kept three skin on.  I smoked the chicken on my weber gas grill using my Smokai smoke generator.   I'm also cooking a pork butt on the grill which will come off later in the day.   I baked the bread this morning and reheated a apple pie from the local farmers market.  I'm pretty stuffed and am looking forward to my nap!

Would you share your recipe for Toulouse sausage? It's hard to find around here, and I do love it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

49 minutes ago, kayb said:

At first glance, I thought that flatbread had caramelized banana slices on it, and I was reading eagerly to find out what the cheese beneath them was.

Would you share your recipe for Toulouse sausage? It's hard to find around here, and I do love it.

The recipe is posted on a sausage centric site by Len Poli.  I came across the site shortly after my introduction to sausage making via Charcuterie by Ruhlman & Polcyn.  It's been a great resource for formulations by nationality and each recipe opens as a .pdf so they are easy to archive.  Here's the link to the Toulouse - http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/French Toulouse.pdf  My favorite formulation is the spanish longaniza - http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Longaniza-Spanish-fresh.pdf  

• Thanks 1

We took a long walk.. maybe 2 hours... On the way, my son found several robin eggs that were cracked open.. We found one intact with some dents in it.. So, we were going to walk it home and see if we can help the egg hatch.. Well, it last 10 minutes before my son dropped it...

49798815422_99b077ecef_z.jpg

Which inspired this lunch... bacon egg and cheese.  I really like hot egg and cheese on cold or room temp bread.. Untoasted potato bread.   Three pieces of bacon, 2.5 made it on the sandwich as my son was hovering.. One egg, one slice of cheese, sriracha, salt and pepper.. Very simple, super delicious. 

49798858332_97f0d01c0d_z.jpg

49798518616_04ed5f3175_z.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

@Duvel – I love rabbit liver!  I had it for the first time at Cochon in New Orleans.  It was fried and served with pepper jelly.  So incredibly good.  I have an abundance of chicken livers in the freezer portioned for one since no one else here likes it and I think it is time to thaw a packet!

@rotuts – “Chef  forgot the béchamel , and the ricotta w fresh basil”  made Mr. Kim and me chuckle!  It also started a wonderful conversation about eating canned pasta as children and what a treat it was.  And how we still crave it occasionally :blush:

On Saturday, it was our groups’ at church turn to make 100 lunches for 3 homeless shelters in our area.  For safety’s sake – to limit everyone’s exposure to other folks – Mr. Kim and I did the lunches alone:

IMG_1881.jpg.c39c0324afe74f4198f63fbddf3e190e.jpg

100 bags – turkey sandwiches, snack bags of pretzels, bananas, Little Debbie snack cakes and drinks.  When we were done delivering, we picked up our lunches from Lulabell’s Café.  I had the Lee:

IMG_1883.jpg.2e504c0e627a3b3c28b248923116ce53.jpg

Roasted turkey, beef, bacon, Cheddar and BBQ sauce on a brioche roll with an apple salad.  Mr. Kim had the Marjorie:

IMG_1884.jpg.930a471796447781e16a4cb08628e6c4.jpg

Roasted turkey, Swiss, sauerkraut, Russian dressing on rye.  With potato salad.

Today:

IMG_1908.jpg.a13f9dcb68ea5fdbddbe2f5c779271e2.jpg

A craving that I was lucky enough to be able to satisfy.  We had some Campari tomatoes and two slices (one was the heel) of squishy white bread leftover from making sandwiches for the shelters on Saturday.  A lot of Dukes and S&P and I had a right drippy sandwich. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook 

good for you on those lunches 

good people everywhere  .

BTW   I have a few cans of the C'BOrDee

sidewalk pick up

in front of my home

2 AM   next moon-less night .

some sort of Coder Ring 

or  1950's   NATO or Russian  Infared Device 

would make it fun.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Duvel – I love rabbit liver!  I had it for the first time at Cochon in New Orleans.  It was fried and served with pepper jelly.  So incredibly good.  I have an abundance of chicken livers in the freezer portioned for one since no one else here likes it and I think it is time to thaw a packet!

Oh culinary soul sister! That was my first thought when I saw his post. Rabbit liver at Cochon with the pepper jelly!  The current menu (over last couple years) just says liver - fear not bunny but chicken is good with a sweet/hot jelly as well. 

• Haha 1

reheated two little eggplant/mushroom patties that I had previously made/frozen - microwaved on a plate (30 sec/flip/30 sec) - then a squirt of catsup and sprinkle of parm.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I often make salad plates/crudités for lunch; a couple of assorted salads, perhaps with a protein strewn amongst. Significant Eater likes these a lot!

1949657354_Saladassortedlunch04-16.jpeg.c7b269378b2c840402fde6edcdcdf860.jpeg

Chicken salad, potato green bean salad, roasted Chioggia beets, celery, avo.

1655882602_SaladassortedCeleriremouladecarrotspotatosaldherringlunch.jpeg.46abd7964751df05d2f4495d3b85f606.jpeg

Céleri-rave remoulade, les carottes râpées, more potato green bean salad, kippers!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A linguine version of the Spaghetti with Anchovies, Tomatoes and Basil from Melissa Clark's Dinner in French 

84B88D98-D069-449C-9760-6FFF99080CC0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f9bb8860e6faf531e37eda96ac2b3cf4.jpeg

In the header notes, Ms. Clark allows that this is not really a French-inspired recipe but that she first added the tomatoes into her usual pasta with anchovies while on vacation in Provence.  It works for me.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Made chicken congee and loaded it up with favourites: Chinese crueller, Century egg, salted egg, very spicy peanuts, fuyu, and a dash of sesame oil.

1720211356_Congeeloaded1105.jpg.ceb6575f05f75c46973c879450390f67.jpg

Made lazy-man pizza with lavash. Nice and crispy thin crust with squeezable pizza sauce, extra lean capocollo, fresh pineapple,  feta cheese, and fresh basil.

844981260_Lavoshpizza1099.jpg.775775d961f48277b34b650661953683.jpg

Something I haven't made for a long time - sushi! Filled it with lobster meat, cucumber, and red bell pepper. I love masago!

1894278007_Lobstersushi1088.jpg.1df6f9e7d6c0f62190f7e4efec55e988.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pasta with the boy.. I had some leftover semolina pasta dough from the other day.. The adults were not hungry as they had eaten breakfast but, I had gone on a 5 mile run and skipped breakfast minus a piece of bacon so, I was hungry and so was the boy.. 

My MIL has her grandmothers hundred year old pasta rolling pin but, when the boy gets involved, i like to use the roller with him.. He is actually really good at making pasta... I just change the dial and he rolls it all the way out..  In keeping with the fun and making it an activity, we hand cut the pasta too.. 

49806997236_a5fb7a8247_z.jpg

Under strick supervision, he rolled up the dough and cut it himself and unraveled them himself and well, i made the sauce.. Which was garlic, the end of an open box of tomatoes and ricotta cheese.. 

49806984202_93118287c3_z.jpg

You can see the rolling pin off to the bottom left:

49807003997_0a844a9f01_z.jpg

49807429538_ca3c30112b_z.jpg

Added some the last of the ricotta and some parm:

49807982251_74980a22eb_z.jpg

It was really good, we split it:  Red pepper flakes for pappa 

49807983731_e6f11ef920_z.jpg

Then later on in the day I had a beer with the seeds from the spaghetti squash.. I roasted and added salt and curry to them:

49807983606_2c0d1400e0_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, BKEats said:

Pasta with the boy.. I had some leftover semolina pasta dough from the other day.. The adults were not hungry as they had eaten breakfast but, I had gone on a 5 mile run and skipped breakfast minus a piece of bacon so, I was hungry and so was the boy.. 

My MIL has her grandmothers hundred year old pasta rolling pin but, when the boy gets involved, i like to use the roller with him.. He is actually really good at making pasta... I just change the dial and he rolls it all the way out..  In keeping with the fun and making it an activity, we hand cut the pasta too.. 

49806997236_a5fb7a8247_z.jpg

had a beer with the seeds from the spaghetti squash.. I roasted and added salt and curry to them:

49807983606_2c0d1400e0_z.jpg

It is lovely how he is getting that hand feel for pasta. I think my childhood helping great grandma with the weekly noodles made various doughs intuitive for me. The squash seeds - isn't it a nice bonus 

• Thanks 1

Leftover peanut sauced ww spaghetti with veg and tofu. I had some broccoli stems to find some use for, so I peeled and sliced thinly and added to the portion, since there was plenty of sauce. The couple of minutes in the microwave to reheat cooked them perfectly. Clementine for dessert (they have kept just fine for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised, although I will be happy when they are gone this week).

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 4/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, BKEats said:

What to do when you want crackers and do not want to leave the house... Why, you make your own... And in like 30 minutes.. 

49757684703_4719c7a39f_z.jpg

49758543312_41844a9fa4_z.jpg

Better than any store bought cracker and I own a cheese shop.. 

49757684218_e7927eff05_z.jpg

Looks like my wife’s attempt at homemade matzah

• Like 1

Today was a lavash roll with mayo, mustard, Italian dressing, lettuce, Lebanon bologna, and mortadella:

IMG_1941.thumb.jpg.ea63fdc74e78acf7f8e43085bbca2d14.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg.d845efd7ee1ca187c85c79b10c789402.jpg

That green stuff is this, which I didn’t like at ALL:

IMG_1942.thumb.jpg.f7888660e4b9487d8f8f68f4f9b3f09c.jpg

Extremely bitter and didn’t taste a bit of guacamole.  I know that my sense of taste is compromised, but I can taste a bit and it was not good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Duvel I see that Kewpie pattern at the local okonomyaki place  - if you order cooked for you as opposed to tabletop yourself. So traditional?

Yeah, quite ... kewpie in Japan is actually sold in bottles with 3-5 little holes in line at the opening to make this pattern even more sophisticated !

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, BeeZee said:

Clementine for dessert (they have kept just fine for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised, although I will be happy when they are gone this week).

You could have shipped them up to me - had to go buy a bag for Johhnybird as he has discovered he prefers them to lemon juice in his amaretto sour.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lunch was a bacon, green chili cheeseburger with chips on a homemade bun.  Wright Bacon, Hatch Chilies and Tillamook Pepper Cheese helped produce a great burger.  The buns were from a KAF recipe.  I roasted the peppers last year and froze them on big sheet pan prior to vacuum bagging.  It makes it easy to break off a chunk for meals.  The potato chips were double fried then hit with sea salt.

IMG_20200425_122846825.thumb.jpg.601d72c808a907aef7dc2f67f4f4f008.jpg

IMG_20200425_123117322.thumb.jpg.f804a06963c4c2db4b81c11a0b45b501.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 6

Green chile cheeseburgers are one of life's pleasures, I think. Nice job on that one, @Steve Irby.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown