• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, TicTac said:

If I may jump in...

I have been continually 'perfecting' mushroom (or any) risotto for over 20 years.  Some of the key's I have found:

- Must use mushroom stock, the more intense the better.  Porcini re-hydration liquid is great here.

- Have an intense mushroom 'boost' for 3/4 of the way through the cooking process ready - e.g. sautee your mushrooms, shallots, deglaze with wine and stock - reduce, add butter and herbs - then add this saucy mixture to the risotto.

- The more browning on your mushrooms, the better.

Enjoy!

Sounds delicious.

I take a more similar approach for pasta with mushrooms (and cream). With pasta, I prefer the sauce to be more boldly and evenly flavored. I also brown the mushrooms more when making pasta.

~ Shai N.

Macedonian (hot) baked beans (gravče na tavče) with leftover pork roast.

gravce.thumb.jpg.cf6da036bb6bf9290fff055cdb77c472.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

I made a chinese dish called, Liangfen.   It's so easy and so delicious.. You take a starch, traditionally mung bean starch, i had potato starch.. you heat up and stir, then pour into a mold, let cool, slice and dress.. 

My dressing had toasted and ground sichuan peppercorns, the sichuan oil I made, sessame oil, fermented beans, some soy, vinegar, hoison... It usually has toasted peanuts and cilantro but, well, what are you going to do.. 

49773867917_206f671462_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

6C548660-D4D7-48B4-8AE2-996C269BD8DF.thumb.jpeg.c258ceaaad7f346080574338f85e3c7b.jpeg

Campbells garden vegetable minestrone soup. I made it tolerable with a generous handful of grated Parmesan, lots of black pepper and a small saucer at the side in which to dump the beans. Will never ever appear on my shopping list again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

do you have ' access '  to Progresso Soups in the GTA ?

https://www.progresso.com/products/?Soups=All_Soups

they are not condensed.   the ' thicker ' soups are a bit pasty IMHO

like clam chowder   Italian Wedding is a favorite of mine

that being said , Campbells   Bean w Bacon is one of my favorite of all time

I mash it up to make a smoother soup sometimes .   

guessing beans are not one of your favorite items.

Progresso Lentil soups are nice .

all benefit from small adjustments.

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

do you have ' access '  to Progresso Soups in the GTA ?

I am afraid not. But thank you for thinking of me. 

• Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

If I may jump in...

I have been continually 'perfecting' mushroom (or any) risotto for over 20 years.  Some of the key's I have found:

- Must use mushroom stock, the more intense the better.  Porcini re-hydration liquid is great here.

- Have an intense mushroom 'boost' for 3/4 of the way through the cooking process ready - e.g. sautee your mushrooms, shallots, deglaze with wine and stock - reduce, add butter and herbs - then add this saucy mixture to the risotto.

- The more browning on your mushrooms, the better.

Enjoy!

When I make mushroom risotta I usually cook down a few boxes of buttons... and then use a different sauteed mushroom to make in toward the end. 

• Like 1

It has been quite a while that I made chili con carne, most likely because noone in my family cares for it except me. Made a “child friendly” version (why ?), then added Sriracha and chipotle to my portion - which ended up to be the whole pot ...

Need to make this more often 🤗

C698817C-8C81-44F4-86D7-EA5FF33E1E6D.thumb.jpeg.edfc55894258e889a961dd1b07a9fbdc.jpeg

• Like 9

Matzo casserole, this one with a filling of chickpeas, mushrooms, caramelized onion and baharat. Tahini.

IMG_20200412_213120.thumb.jpg.7fd4e1804ec0bdd5a2842275915f383a.jpg

Is it clear by now that I love baked matzo dishes? :P  

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, shain said:

Matzo casserole, this one with a filling of chickpeas, mushrooms, caramelized onion and baharat. Tahini.

Is it clear by now that I love baked matzo dishes? :P  

For those who have never experienced this type of prep would you say it is similar to a pasta dish with great crispy edges/top or ??? We get the towers of matzo in major stores around holidays but people not familiar do not pick it up. They know what it is but are not up on preparation or taste. I see a matzo tutorial in your future ;)

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

For those who have never experienced this type of prep would you say it is similar to a pasta dish with great crispy edges/top or ??? We get the towers of matzo in major stores around holidays but people not familiar do not pick it up. They know what it is but are not up on preparation or taste. I see a matzo tutorial in your future ;)

It's somewhere between a baked pasta casserole and a bread pudding / stuffing. It's more tender and uniform than baked pasta, but not as custardy, rich nor soft as bread pudding.

Here are some recpies:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

49778007581_018a177d16_z.jpg

tkeokbokki in the making

49777475313_082412d89d_z.jpg

It's a fairly straight forward.. the only tricky thing is you have to use anchoy broth or water they say is fine,.. I had some dried bonito so, I added that to boiling water.. boiled the rice cakes, then added carrots and cabbage, then mushrooms, then finally sprouts.  It was all good.. you add the paste, soy, some sugar, let is cook down, that's it.. It was delicious. 

Better than most restaurants... I had trouble finding fish cakes so,i added mussels. 

49777510828_e632545625_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 10

this is lunch :

DSC08165.thumb.jpg.b49b588da2a56e13b023026062e4e274.jpg

Progresso Lentil w Roasted Vegetables.   their soups are single serving , not condensed.

they seem to have less salt in them than times long gone buy , and are quite decent 

they are helped a pinch of this and a pinch of that from Penzey's  G.O. from the window sill.

I have a decent selection , many purchased on sale way before Corona , and more purchased 

from Target.com  several months ago .   Im very happy to have them .

sometimes a can is breakfast , maybe lunch , mid-afternoon or even dinner.

they are fine , and they are here.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

Chopped up a rabbit and rubbed it with salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary for tonight’s BBQ.

EB52D4BB-AF4D-4DCA-91B4-89F0F5AB0431.thumb.jpeg.736506c46b568b2ebe7f19a244b7029a.jpeg

Normally no lunch (to prepare for the feast at night), but as a treat for the cook I had the rabbit liver, flash fried in butter and olive oil, on a toasted slice of baguette ...

C1DA33A5-9140-4742-BF66-1FF8A717613C.thumb.jpeg.7ff94939d2a45b1cb26dff16a71f8344.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Butter chicken approximation over Tilda rice and homemade flatbread.  I only had one tomato so the sauce is a little dry. And I did not have yogurt so chicken was marinated in sour cream.  But I had Garam Masala, cumin, etc so it tasted properly.

FEA16EE2-A835-4634-9EFE-B042470E0D63.thumb.jpeg.225407fd315b77ae6ab71f462d725de9.jpeg

98B85E46-5979-42B0-9696-C04C05ADAB2E.thumb.jpeg.3077f176147d516c8c9a7f0e0879bacf.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Lunch today,  "Quick" tomato sauce with peas and potatoes, from our 1000 indian cookbook I've posted from before.

It's quick because she calls for tomato sauce instead of starting from tomatoes, thee's more then 3.5 tbls of spices in here.  2 Serrano peppers for heat.  My wife got pureed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, still worked fine - added plenty of water (usually her recipes add more water then we like) and got the consistency really good.  This was much better we even expected so we'll be making it again.

20200418_114025.thumb.jpg.61876586017e331eb21cd8fc87b8d4d2.jpg

Oh and it has Fenugreek leaves in it - which I am so happy we discovered years ago when we got this cookbook.  Did you know this is what can be used to make imitation maple syrup with?

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 4

993235824_CBL.jpg.d439a5f4b0d0d50d3e33eea00b9aaf77.jpg

Chef BoyArDee  canned Lasagna    I added penzey's tuscan sunset

granulated garlic ,   and it was ' fine'  given the times.

Chef  forgot the béchamel , and the ricotta w fresh basil

and its clearly designed for Children , as its a bit sweet.

but it keeps me out of the stores 

although it my personal opinion that the risk level for me

if I go to MarketBasket @ 6 am ,  ' senior hour '

it close to a steady state now.

if they re-0pen the schools ,   as I feel that children are a very large vector-pool ,

and do away w senior hours and the other things food stores are trying to do

that risk is going to go up and up.

i have no data to support this , but viral principles and epidemiology don't really change.

the contagion does.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday’s flatbread topped with base of feta, goat cheese, garlic, cream.  Brie and king oyster mushroom topping.  Baked in pre heated pan in CSO bake steam for about 12 minutes.  Slightly falling apart but very tasty.

A1A6A3B3-C177-46CB-A33D-439800D6396C.thumb.jpeg.353326cc134dc96ad64aebb32b2454b3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A little baking and grilling today.  I bought 10# of chicken leg quarters and froze the thigh portion for later use.  I deboned the drumsticks and stuffed with homemade Toulouse sausage.  I skinned then bacon wrapped seven portions and kept three skin on.  I smoked the chicken on my weber gas grill using my Smokai smoke generator.   I'm also cooking a pork butt on the grill which will come off later in the day.   I baked the bread this morning and reheated a apple pie from the local farmers market.  I'm pretty stuffed and am looking forward to my nap!

IMG_20200419_114350328.thumb.jpg.3bed9c53e31a1b398b58386feb4c5d2c.jpg

IMG_20200419_120521962.thumb.jpg.33b948618ec6004360a6c0752f90dfe1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Some vegetable dumplings today; a small chicken and craisin wrap yesterday.  Using up some of the lettuce John brought me last week.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites