• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Just now, Kim Shook said:

I have the eggs, but I'm putting the other stuff on my shopping list for tomorrow.  

Oh, and a Sonic diet coke. Don't skip that.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

What to do when you want crackers and do not want to leave the house... Why, you make your own... And in like 30 minutes.. 

49757684703_4719c7a39f_z.jpg

49758543312_41844a9fa4_z.jpg

Better than any store bought cracker and I own a cheese shop.. 

49757684218_e7927eff05_z.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

What to do when you want crackers and do not want to leave the house... Why, you make your own... And in like 30 minutes.. 

I've made crackers before, but never like these. They look deliciously crackly. Got a recipe that you can share? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can also tell you, my crackers were much thinner than what was ultimately photographed on the recipe page... So, either I found a way to get my crackers much thinner than theirs, that's not an actual photo of the crackers, or, don't make them as thin as you can.. So, I guess you can mess with the thickness but, i liked it thin.  But, I treated my crackers like I was rolling out a mini pizza. Wich, may be interesting to try. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MetsFan5 said:

I love Pringles because my husbands hand is too big to fit in the can so I can sneak eat at least half a can! 😂

They are the perfect airline snack w/ a G & T

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, BKEats said:

Dude, I know you are a professional but ya gotta keep at least a box of Ritz in the house.  

• Haha 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yesterday a turkey, bacon and lettuce club with spicy pickles shared with Johnnybird.

Second lunch for him was a plate of potato and sauerkraut pierogies with applesauce.  And a couple of stuffed eggs.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Dude, I know you are a professional but ya gotta keep at least a box of Ritz in the house.  

I made them again yesterday!! I added thyme, black pepper and smoked paprika.. They are so good, I am addicted.  The only thing I like to do with ritz crackers and I tend to do this christmas eve, I like to add melted butter and spices to rushed up ritz crackers and stuff them into lobsters... It was one of the first dishes I ever made, I think I copied Emeril Lagasse back in 1997  😍

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 1

Best Vegetarian Chilli from one of the america's test kitchen / cook's illustrated cookbooks.   It has bulgar wheat and mushrooms so it's "meaty"

I made a small loaf of basic french lean bread from modernist bread.  This is the 2nd loaf so it's had more time in the fridge, thus the nice air bubbles on the crust.

20200413_110748.thumb.jpg.8bb1efdbfeb77b04e33d1c75e992e915.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Raamo said:

Best Vegetarian Chilli from one of the america's test kitchen / cook's illustrated cookbooks.   It has bulgar wheat and mushrooms so it's "meaty"

I made a small loaf of basic french lean bread from modernist bread.  This is the 2nd loaf so it's had more time in the fridge, thus the nice air bubbles on the crust.

20200413_110748.thumb.jpg.8bb1efdbfeb77b04e33d1c75e992e915.jpg

My "like" was for that gorgeous bread.  I do not eat fungal things 😉 .  Also - gorgeous dishes!!!❤️

On 4/12/2020 at 10:22 AM, suzilightning said:

looks like my wife venture into homemade matzoh.  Got to say I’ll take the boxed stuff if given a choice 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, chefmd said:

Parmesan risotto with button mushrooms.

4A7A8EAF-75B3-46A0-B07E-5A47773E8DD4.thumb.jpeg.73dce4f8948665c8b3f0757b1b1fb60a.jpeg

I see that you chose not to mix in the mushrooms. When I make mushroom risotto, I mix them in, but only right before serving so that they don't overly flavor the rice. That way the flavor when biting into a mushroom is more distinct, otherwise, I find myself getting used to it quickly.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

9 minutes ago, shain said:

I see that you chose not to mix in the mushrooms. When I make mushroom risotto, I mix them in, but only right before serving so that they don't overly flavor the rice. That way the flavor when biting into a mushroom is more distinct, otherwise, I find myself getting used to it quickly.

If I may jump in...

I have been continually 'perfecting' mushroom (or any) risotto for over 20 years.  Some of the key's I have found:

- Must use mushroom stock, the more intense the better.  Porcini re-hydration liquid is great here.

- Have an intense mushroom 'boost' for 3/4 of the way through the cooking process ready - e.g. sautee your mushrooms, shallots, deglaze with wine and stock - reduce, add butter and herbs - then add this saucy mixture to the risotto.

- The more browning on your mushrooms, the better.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1