• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Can't go out to eat so it is home Pho now🤪                                                                              

OK - you win the word use play award!  Your secret talent?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, heidih said:

OK - you win the word use play award!  Your secret talent?

I confess it went over my head...where is that groan emoji?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, Anna N said:

Comfort food seems to be the thing at the moment. 

67F916C2-1DF2-465B-80AA-7E05BB9B31BB.thumb.jpeg.dcdbcb32c70f2900ee636b112cf923d3.jpeg

One of my late husband’s favourite dishes: Danish "Hakkebøffer med bløde løg" basically hamburger with onion gravy (topped with a fried egg). 

Made more than one patty and so today another one got re-purposed, I broke it up, reheated it in the onion gravy, separately cooked some orzo and added frozen peas to the pot just before the pasta was cooked. 

76495499-0002-472B-96B4-41D8111497D2.thumb.jpeg.879b8cad2ec8652920b416d833b8683a.jpeg

easy and very satisfactory. Still two patties remain. I may eat them in the next day or two or I may decide to freeze them. Much depends on dinner.

Edited by Anna N
Patties not parties we are not having any parties (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Quick one: Matjesbrötchen with homemade tartar sauce. Normally, I would enjoy it @Anna N style with an ice-cold aquavit, but I still have a couple of home office duties in the afternoon 🙄

BB63A1BE-A648-45BB-B1DF-794FA95E29F3.thumb.jpeg.2ea9c24d3b03477018b9ed4066d434a9.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Quick one: Matjesbrötchen with homemade tartar sauce. Normally, I would enjoy it @Anna N style with an ice-cold aquavit, but I still have a couple of home office duties in the afternoon 🙄

BB63A1BE-A648-45BB-B1DF-794FA95E29F3.thumb.jpeg.2ea9c24d3b03477018b9ed4066d434a9.jpeg

One of the beauties of aquavit - just say it is water if anyone asks!

(that is, if you require video conferencing)

Otherwise, just make sure you proof read your emails a couple times before hitting send - enjoy!

;)

• Haha 3

86CB4571-2AFC-420F-837F-D9404830D2FD.thumb.jpeg.29cb482bb2c0b686de9ad2bdfe610d57.jpegA simple lamb stew. Made stove top although I did consider the instant pot. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Decided to freezer dive, wanted something warm...had a package of Wegmans appetizer size spanakopita, baked off a bunch for lunch. Lacking dill, I made no tzaditzki, they could have used it (pretty dry on the outside, although the filling was fine). Next time I'll make some kind of dipping sauce.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

4 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Bavarian Wurstsalat (with cheese), with an Onsen tamago for good measure ...

An entirely different perspective on "fusion"  Comfort to me is Wurstsalat (no cheese) and brioche or egg bread lightly toasted. Maybe . 220px-Loewensenf_Extra.jpg

• Like 2

Today’s lunch a corned beef sandwich made with my leftover slow-cooked corned beef on homemade whole-grain sourdough bread with 1,000 island dressing and lettuce.  Really good!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2B9DD2B5-1F40-4ACA-9EE7-AE9F725840E8.thumb.jpeg.b200d4486f030ab21c466ee2593d5e6a.jpeg

A poor imitation of @Shelby’s clam chowder but it was darn tasty. I was going to make Crammed Chowder from Looney Spoons which is also very good but Shelby’s was easier. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

C6F99CC4-29E1-463D-9612-8BFA6D7B2C80.thumb.jpeg.3189aa6c7f7f80882ed78f28d0ed3932.jpeg

Jamaican patty. This is not what I wanted for lunch. I knew for sure I would hate it. When someone else shops for you and forgets that you only buy one brand of Jamaican patties and picks up whatever is available you are faced with a freezer full of food you’re never going to eat.

I took a bite. I took another bite. Not bad. Took another bite. Pretty good. Finished it and wondered if I should heat another one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

we dont have the emojis for

our current situation 

but what you say is quite true.

Im very fortunate 

I have a decent amount of canned food from Target.com

I got it early .  My risk level is quite high.

Ive got SV in the freezers.  Ive got whole turkey Br's    (3 )  Ill pass on to

a friend , who still does some considerable cooking

I couldn't find the energy to processes them to SV  

a character flaw for sure    but they will find a Good Home.

fortunately  

Im all out of GBP's  and

Eggplant

which I have been for  quite some time

50  ++ years ?

maybe more.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 4

Snow day after +12C temperatures. Sure fooled me; I thought it was spring!

Made a big pot, doled out to neighbors and family who came to pick up from the driveway.

Hot 'n' Sour Soup 

359384930_HotSoursoup0936.jpg.41c22493ebb2ddcf2a013fabfbd6cab6.jpg       

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com