• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This way @Duvel might believe you.

I KNOW!  Claims to be German but I’m pretty sure he’s from Missouri. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I KNOW!  Claims to be German but I’m pretty sure he’s from Missouri. 

He might not get the reference.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

He might not get the reference.

Oh, he will get the reference of that I am sure.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The last few days it has been ham salad on rye - open face.

Bought a small piece of smoked ham end.  Whizzed it in my mini pro then minced shallot, celery salt, mayo and a bit of my homemade coleslaw sauce.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A384B49B-CF0D-4124-9EEC-3E9C4C76DB29.thumb.jpeg.d3ea291a84a6a0178230c876d5dc3094.jpeg

Leftover roast beef reheated in “chip truck gravy”, with some broccoli, over rice. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Toasted a couple of slices of olive sourdough which were in the freezer, monterey jack cheese. Couple of nuts, juice box (apple).

69DF06C1-E123-414D-AA12-F77C4A378A60.jpeg

Edited by BeeZee
Add photo (log)
  • Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

IMG_20200322_132300.thumb.jpg.7ca572b1fb0f37c534a9e11c5248b277.jpg

Fringe benefits of having your spouse work in the wine industry.  This lovely single vineyard Barolo (that was sent to us for free) was perfect with some fettucine with porcini mushroom sauce.  Sure, her job barely pays anything, but it comes with a lot of perks.  The porcini were dried grade B - which means they were medium sized broken pieces, but they're much more affordable than the A grade.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

no food these days is boring

if you made it your self

from what you had 

or heated up a " can" and added something you had.

Or heated up a can accompanied with wine.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Comfort food seems to be the thing at the moment. 

67F916C2-1DF2-465B-80AA-7E05BB9B31BB.thumb.jpeg.dcdbcb32c70f2900ee636b112cf923d3.jpeg

One of my late husband’s favourite dishes: Danish "Hakkebøffer med bløde løg" basically hamburger with onion gravy (topped with a fried egg). 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Y’all are posting some incredible lunches lately.  I am especially drawn to the grilled sandwiches and the seafood.

@blue_dolphin – no need to downplay egg salad and carrots.  Various salads – egg, tuna, ham, etc.  are a favorite with us and carrot and celery sticks are, too!

Lunch a few days ago was trashy all the way – fried bologna and cheese with yellow mustard on white bread and frozen crinkle cuts:

DSCN0747.JPG.4a17b2a3eae0a25effb1cea024fa21fb.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG.8d536d914d483d117b744480e8972a38.JPG

It was delicious.

Friday will forever be known as our Pandemic Anniversary 😉.  This was our 38th wedding anniversary.  The original plans included England – the north this time: York, the Lake District, Durham.  (Of course it turns out to be a VERY good thing we didn’t go ahead with those plans and tickets and such).  But my mother freaked out at the idea of us going.  So, we substituted 4 days in Baltimore.  Mr. Kim’s work cancelled his leave except for our actual anniversary day.  We decided to just spend the day together and have dinner at Lemaire at the Jefferson hotel, since we’d never been to the restaurant.  It is considered Richmond’s finest and most elegant restaurant.  They called Wednesday (2 days ago) to say they were closing for the duration.  Sigh.  But we ended up having a wonderful and pretty much isolated and safe anniversary anyway. 

We decided on a long drive and dinner at home whenever we got there.  We ordered box lunches at Sally Bell’s.  Sally Bell’s is a Richmond institution.  A sandwich shop that has been open since 1924 and won the James Beard Foundation American Classic award in 2015.  They may have added a few cupcake flavors over the years, but I know the menu is basically the same as when the shop was located behind my dorm in the late 1970’s.  We ate our lunches in our car in a Williamsburg hospital parking lot.  All the shopping centers and parks and historical sites were closed.

IMG_1595.jpg.2b387e4ae9a0645f394ea4c8d3c9c1ba.jpg

Mr. Kim got the country ham roll, potato salad, and lemon filled cupcake:

IMG_1579.jpg.1d04cf9aa6dfe47ad3629d78183c6c7b.jpg

IMG_1582.thumb.jpg.ac454efdff2d6d2be23b505b09a52c81.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg.cfba55ad82fdd88f9193c358d3c542a2.jpg

I got olive and cream cheese on white, macaroni salad, and a toasted almond cupcake:

IMG_1581.jpg.c365908177b2de743900b9aa0d24f9f0.jpg

IMG_1583.thumb.jpg.3c8f7a84456a09eb494d9a8b6dcd158c.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg.8845cf28ec4d2e45ab37b2a2981f02b1.jpg

All the box lunches include a deviled egg and a pecan topped cheese wafer. 

We even did a reenactment:

IMG_1593.jpg.efff49dff7add9c51e2470c4f977c082.jpg

😁

Lunch yesterday was lazy person’s egg salad:

DSCN0764.JPG.3d78a617293306f242d207b5710b79e1.JPG

Spread Duke’s and mustard on both sides of the bread, put 2 IP eggs in the egg slicer, pile them up on the bread and add salt and pepper.  Delectable. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Awww! @Kim Shook Happy Anniversary! I want a lemon filled cupcake right now. I used to love cream cheese on a bagel with canned chopped black olives, tomato and red onion slivers, but I haven't had it in years. These times are indeed strange. I have a lot of time on lockdown to fantasize about our next grocery run. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

fried bologna is so under appreciated .

One of the most memorable meals of my life was the BBQ'd bologna at Cozy Corner in Memphis.  When I have the luxury of planning the sandwich (instead of it just being a craving I have to address right away) I get it sliced really thick at the deli.  

• Like 3

Ive known Fire Departments

expert cooks and all

that got a whole Bologna   not sure what diameter

and put it on the Weber rotisserie attachment 

and BBQ's the whole thing     for some time

then took it off and sliced it.

I was told this might be a sort of thing in the South.

never experienced it myself  

too bad for me .

• Like 2

Just now, rotuts said:

expert cooks and all

too bad for me .

The specialty of the one in Hot Springs was the small bologna chubs, about 2 1/2 inch diameter and maybe a pound total, that they would smoke. Pretty wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

expert cooks and all

too bad for me .

From what I saw on TV (can't remember the show), that is exactly how Cozy Corner starts theirs.  Then it gets sliced thick, slathered in their incomparable sauce, griddled, and slathered again. Good Lord.  

• Like 2

Can't go out to eat so it is home Pho now🤪

716685922_PhoatHome0898.jpg.39e626395482048859df9f927081342e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com