• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

With several chains automatically supersizing their sandwiches (Arby's advertises that their meats/fish/chicken "hangs over" the bun), we often split one order.    We started that long ago with fair and flea foods.    We would get carried away with a stand's claims and each get one of something only to find we didn't like it.    So we started getting one and split it and it was ethereal, get another.   Often one was enough, especially if there was ice cream or floats or else down te aisle.

eGullet member #80.

53 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Very green "boxed" soup with mandatory splat of Mexican sour cream, olive bread toast.  And croutons from homemade bread, because you can't have too many carbs.

What box?

Variations on 2 recipes from Made in Spain by José Andrés. 

IMG_2115.thumb.jpeg.2013ce5d87cedeb682c0c2008984b1e9.jpeg

Broiled scallops with Albariño wine on a bed of caramelized onion and diced cured ham topped with breadcrumbs and a salad of greens, oranges, olives and anchovy with a dressing of Chinchón (I subbed ouzo), sherry vinegar, olive oil, orange zest and juice. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Thursday’s Lunch at Nate’s West End, Jamaica Beach, on Galveston Island with my Birding Buddy - we split the sandwiches between us.

732C702A-1A52-4B10-B653-C3A279DE2498.thumb.jpeg.29f67426817105adb8f9d3d0a595faaa.jpeg

The Reuben was good, but we both agreed the Shrimp Po Boy was the winner!

D7FB1D16-ABA8-42F4-90B9-583612EDA61C.thumb.jpeg.b0b6a2985f57a2d1716ca574b5611908.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9

Scallops with Spicy Beans, Tomatillo, and Citrus from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy. Recipe available online at this link.

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.ab6388b760ba490647fa1ae4d2de1845.jpeg

I purchased this book as a Christmas gift for my cousin and this was one recipe that I photographed because the combination of ingredients sounded so curious and since I found 2 open bags of scallops in the freezer the other day,  it was time.  Quite nice. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Scallops with Spicy Beans, Tomatillo, and Citrus from Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy. Recipe available online at this link.

IMG_2124.thumb.jpeg.ab6388b760ba490647fa1ae4d2de1845.jpeg

I purchased this book as a Christmas gift for my cousin and this was one recipe that I photographed because the combination of ingredients sounded so curious and since I found 2 open bags of scallops in the freezer the other day,  it was time.  Quite nice. 

the knife work on the citrus and tomato looks very good and matches the scallops - real pro 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every time I make chicken pot pie, I wonder why I don't make it more often. It's one of the few things I make with canned soup, and with Pillsbury rolled up in the fridge case piecrusts, it goes together in about 10 minutes. 

743910212_chickenpotpie.thumb.jpg.0aad4c0515d5f3a0d7789d6e5fc6cf5c.jpg

Besides, it's National Pi Day. So, there you have it.

If anyone's interested, it's a couple of cups of chopped up cooked chicken (I used a breast and a leg from a rotissiere chicken), a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken soup, and a cup of grated cheddar cheese, between two pie crusts. So simple. So good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Lunch today was leftover last night's dinner repurposed. I fried the leftover rice then added the left over lentil prawn mixture. I think it was actually better than yesterday's dinner.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

As of today I will need to work in „my“ home office. As the schools in Germany are closed from today as well for the next five weeks, I will have to chance to cook daily lunch as well ... and will try to linit myself to whatever we have in the house - dry, canned, frozen. So, without further ado - my first Corona „vacation“ lunch:

Tortiglioni with minced meat, tomato and spinach. Topped with Parmigiano and lots of black pepper ...

249FAA96-C9E2-49AC-A1B8-5D9C02CFBECC.thumb.jpeg.c18732bf52e687034d9b2bdd216780f7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Once in a while I pull a recipe out of a cook book and try it, this is Corn Cakes with Creole Shrimp.  It's from Sara Moulton Cooks at Home.

20200314_113940.thumb.jpg.24bff29ad82a78af241c5c7809cfec5b.jpg

We won't be making this again.  My wife liked it, but the corn cakes remind me of potato pancakes my mother would make and I couldn't stand.

Edited by Raamo
I wasn't finished. (log)
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Raamo said:

We won't be making this again.  My wife liked it, but the corn cakes remind me of potato pancakes my mother would make and I couldn't stand.

That’s too bad because they certainly do look delicious. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30264716-FFD1-4419-811E-7D04D89DDD5B.thumb.jpeg.f63f0066ec319873d89932f9fd6a1d3c.jpeg

not in the least inspiring but I’m determined to post what I can when I can. Domino’s Pizza from the freezer. My lunch. In its favour you will note there are no green peppers, lentils, chickpeas or even corn so it will offend fewer people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Tarragon Tart from Melissa Clark's new book, Dinner in French with asparagus from today's farmers market.

5C7DF4B8-1BA8-4654-A7D7-586FF0BEE9CB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1fa78e1099edf888cc34c21453531b3b.jpeg

This was very nice and the raw asparagus roasted nicely while this was baking but I don’t think I’d make it again as written. Might consider doing it as individual pastries.  My brain just wasn’t in the mood for arithmetic this afternoon so I made the whole thing. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

Yesterday we went grocery shopping for a few items, and splurged on sandwich food. It's intended to be road food, but I simply couldn't resist getting into the deli meat. I should know better than to get into the Genoa salami! I also opened a last jar of homemade pickles. Since they were labeled 2016, it was probably time.

20200318_175930-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A late lunch of repurposed leftovers from a few days ago. The dollop of ricotta cheese was inspired by @blue_dolphin. Soupy Rancho Gordo pinto beans (cooked in the slow cooker) with brown rice, polish sausage, spinach, and ricotta cheese. I also added a bit of Trader Joe's mango chutney.

1503721086_IMG_5905-ranchogordopintobeanswithpolishsausagespinachandricotta.jpg.382a11b33c296a2ddf555e166a47f6e3.jpg

• Like 3

The easy way to do this would be to say check what I had for lunch yesterday – – guess what —  I’m having the same today. But I committed to being as contributive as I could given the circumstances. 

8E986B4A-66F6-4976-9649-2F69592FD3DA.thumb.jpeg.58780ca2ce9532e16f607f0c6e8eb625.jpeg

NO!  It is not the same slice of pizza that I showed you yesterday. Try and line up those pieces of pepperoni!  

Edited by Anna N
Typos and duplication (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The easy way to do this would be to say check what I had for lunch yesterday – – guess what —  I’m having the same today. But I committed to being as contributive as I could given the circumstances. 

8E986B4A-66F6-4976-9649-2F69592FD3DA.thumb.jpeg.58780ca2ce9532e16f607f0c6e8eb625.jpeg

NO!  It is not the same slice of pizza that I showed you yesterday. Try and line up those pieces of pepperoni!  

This way @Duvel might believe you.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou