• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

thinking chipotle paste

To me looks darker - so many chiles and wow the variations of flavor in the dark dried ones. People laugh when they see me inhale deeply even through a plastic bag. The raisiny ones I especially like. OK now will brave the mess in the garage to find Kennedy's Oaxaca al Gusto  https://www.amazon.com/Oaxaca-Gusto-Infinite-Gastronomy-Hemisphere/dp/0292722664

Am in a quandary as to where to post this: Lunch, supper, Chinese, or Ninja Foodie!
I made the joongzi in the spring. Pulled 2 from the freezer and thawed and heated up in the Ninja pressure cooker. Took them out and steamed the shrimp dumplings (from Sobeys frozen food section) again in the Ninja. They are SO pretty, tasted pretty good, and pretty reasonable. Good to have on hand.
Don't think we'll need supper / dinner!

1820448693_DimSumTayLunch0688.thumb.jpg.ab10c654a3eaa35e3a8233e8ed1b65bd.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

First lunch in Bahia Magdalena.

EGv1ZW2.jpg

Beans with chipotle and cheese

2UdnOj3.jpg

Beans and rice, fresh tortillas in woven basket. A granny makes tortillas to order, cooks them on a big metal sheet above an open fire.

35yxMS5.jpg

Beautiful palapa/palm leaf thatched roof

p70EHQm.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Baja-style enchiladas. Red sauce is a bit salty but the fresh tortillas are good.

IP2PcXd.jpg

RMbrDf0.jpg

Chocolata clam ceviche. I'm partial to shellfish and approve of this.

kJyDDfu.jpg

RH9Lhod.jpg

There are 5 sauces, shown here are 3 of them. The habanero with pineapple is best, to me.

Qndcvul.jpg

Bql5UDB.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

There are 5 sauces, shown here are 3 of them. The habanero with pineapple is best, to me.

Qndcvul.jpg

Bql5UDB.jpg

It's always fascinating to us how identical fresh Mexican food can be and how totally singular it becomes as each kitchen's sauces differ from each other.     Look the same and taste totally different in flavor balances and kinds of heat.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Sopes are fried corn cakes.

qvEX8CN.jpg

Quesadillas with sautéed vegs

RKomREu.jpg

Q1BrFt6.jpg

I'm back in Loreto now and have twice eaten at the restaurant where they have smokey salsa. They said the smoked serrano chillies are briefly roasted (over an open flame) then pureed together with tomatoes and onions, and some habanero chillies as well.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the salsa update. Sopes are are part of life here. Our farmers markets have them and I really like the pickled cabbage dressing they offer.  I  can not remember the descriptive name - maybe about a shoe - will think

Shirtaki tofu noodles in duck broth, topped with a couple shreds of leftover duck, Romaine lettuce, Thai basil, fresh beansprouts, and a dab of chili oil. Keeping warm in this cold afternoon!
2027544687_MockDuckPho0707.thumb.jpg.a1c357c2e7737c56d3aa4e4407478f34.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, heidih said:

i am freezing - comforted just reading @Dejah

You're in California! How can you be freezing?!
We've been spoiled with single digit temps: -2C, etc. But yesterday, it plunged to -32C with a windchill of -42C, which is the same in F.
Had to go out this morning around 9 am, and it was -24C, windchill -32C
See why I needed that soup...and the chili oil?😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I’ve been sick for over a month, so lots of make do and eating out meals for lunches and dinners.  As I said on another thread, nothing deadly – just one aggravating thing after another – virus, infection and now what they are calling “significant anemia”.  Sigh. 

A few recent lunches.  After delivering lunches to 3 homeless shelters one Saturday (one of our projects at our church), we had lunch at Nomad’s – a favorite place in an older city neighborhood.  Mr. Kim had the fantastic chicken sandwich:

sunday3.jpg.65cf628d1f05b40909b6d378cd21c754.jpg

I always say I’m going to have something different, but once again chose the shrimp po’boy:

sunday.jpg.1a9bf4827e67cd1fb11f8ae32f34cf40.jpg

It is enormous.  I take all the shrimp off one half and pile it on the other half, so I end up with double shrimp.  I could never eat both halves.  And we shared fries:

sunday2.jpg.87a27f48efe76d6c1d34290ff14fa216.jpg

Lunch at a local pharmacy after one of my doctor’s appointments:

124.thumb.jpg.2903f526e25c112b290199189942cee8.jpg

Egg salad on rye and house made potato and kielbasa soup.  They make such great soups.  I don’t even usually like potato soup, but this was so tasty.  Having lunch there reminded me of being a little girl.  When I had to go to the doctor’s office, Momma would always take me to Drug Fair’s in Shirlington (northern VA) lunch counter for lunch or an ice cream.  This was the perfect lunch counter meal.

Another day, I had a couple of Tacos Dorados leftover from Jessica’s BD:

DSCN0625.JPG.689292db06b9b45a8d4e89e131bad908.JPG

Done tostada-style.

Jessica got 2 BD dinners this year – an us-only casual dinner at home (tacos) and a favorite place of her choice with us and a friend of hers.  She chose Greek, so the next day I had leftover pastichio and bread for lunch:

DSCN0631.JPG.7fc8ce9888f1029952cbf31507dbe9b1.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

What a selection of comfort food.  My first po'boy was in a canoe in the Louisiana swamp off Lake Pontchartrain - acquired from of course a gas station. Guide said it was 2nd best. First place was on vacation. Best I ever had. 

• Like 2

Tortillas are served with almost everything.

Amjg3pF.jpg

hky97vs.jpg

Roasted and stuffed with vegs

DnAkTzf.jpg

22 hours ago, heidih said:

Wow what a mainstream manufactured sauce selection including lots of Kraft. Its a Small World - sorry for ear worm m- designed by a woman back in the day when Disney was female heavy,  Food very enticing. 

A vast majority of guests are Americans (and Canadians). The sauces are for them. I only eat the salsas they make daily.

• Like 6

DC752CB2-DBB6-441C-BAB9-6D020288BAD7.thumb.jpeg.fd2c74c25834f21ed5409a761bc4a7af.jpeg

Lamb mince with orzo.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Back in sunny and warm Loreto after an incredible week of whale watching in Bahia Magdalena. Scallop and prawn tacos first.

48vn6nJ.jpg

pq84hO9.jpg

This restaurant has 2 versions of "aguachile", red and green. I've had both. Red is good, green is besssssssst!

VFHtc95.jpg

4FY0VJ8.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@BonVivant – the coating on the scallops and prawns for the tacos looks amazingly puffy and crisp.  I wish I could find someone around here doing that!

A couple of Saturdays ago, we did a little road trip with Jessica to go to a dim sum place in Wheaton MD (a couple of hours away) that she’d read about in the Washington Post- the Hollywood East Café.  We had a wonderful meal and a great day.  Spontaneously decided to go to the zoo (turns out the mall the restaurant is in is on the same road as the zoo) also. 

IMG_1293.jpg.d83d04e8622c5964ca9853876df2a8a2.jpg

From 12 o’clock (the green ones) Steamed shrimp dumplings, shu mai, beef rice crepe, steamed ginger and chicken dumpling, steamed pork buns.  We agreed that the beef rice crepe was one of the standouts of the meal. 

IMG_1294.jpg.d426903748ff39ab5fcf8af40ac94396.jpg

Baked roast pork croissant – the other standout.

IMG_1295.jpg.04d9a366a756ae8797432067969fb280.jpg

Steamed scallop and shrimp dumpling, steamed ginger and chicken dumpling

IMG_1296.jpg.131beb33f7d5d4c5304e2fd3b11434d2.jpg

Egg tarts, baked pork buns.

In the middle of last Saturday’s errands, we stopped at the Glen Allen Bistro.  Mr. Kim had the steak, cheese & pepperoni sandwich:

IMG_1359.jpg.88043870b29e1eb51603ade6011efbb2.jpg

This sandwich was surprisingly good. 

We shared the fries and I had the gyro:

IMG_1360.jpg.4fccefa6431e6bd46432be3053cb8ebe.jpg

It was fine – those preformed frozen strips, but a good tzatziki and pita. 

After church last Sunday, we decided to try a place I’ve been meaning to try for a couple of months, since they opened - Zara Mediterranean Charcoal Grill.  Excellent food.  Very casual (fast food-type place) and reasonably priced.  We ordered more than we normally would in order to taste more stuff.  Shared the falafel:

IMG_1362.jpg.c59060682409908a626abde600170f7c.jpg

Which came with grilled pita:

IMG_1361.jpg.783179e1856f8fe37bc27169160700da.jpg

The butter looked really odd to me.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen pita served with butter in my entire life.  It made me wonder if the pita cultures DO use butter on them.  I think that the folks at Zara are Turkish and wondered if that makes a difference to the use of butter. 

I got the lamb skewer sandwich:

IMG_1363.thumb.jpg.400c22ad4ccf7e50c897b2437ffe7eae.jpg

With tzatziki.  Lovely!  Mr. Kim had the steak skewer with rice and a grilled tomato:

IMG_1365.jpg.b4962bd6abf90ce9d33add27300f2277.jpg

Really tender and flavorful.  He had the cilantro sauce.  We shared a ground beef skewer:

IMG_1364.thumb.jpg.8760a85f7f42ff86638adb19ec9b39c2.jpg

Perfectly spiced and cooked.  We will definitely be going back. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

At 2 different places:

xOsV2Vt.jpg

CYQ6c0F.jpg

bHl2zKm.jpg

wJXihHC.jpg

Now at my favourite restaurant in Loreto. The only place in town that has fresh local chocolata clams almost every day.

ifbQxXN.jpg

Steamed to perfection.

FbYRlFg.jpg

5POyLmP.jpg

---

KimS: thanks! Good seafood tacos are pretty "normal" in Baja Sur. Down to my last 3 days to enjoy them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lunch yesterday was leftover Ma Po Tofu & Eggplant as lettuce wrap.
Been experimenting with Portuguese Egg Tarts. Enjoyed these so much on our trip to Macau a couple years back. Discovered tart shells at our local Chinese grocery store that are SO flaky!

Had tarts for dessert for a couple of days.
1700671859_reducedtarts0636.thumb.jpg.9ce79e0f46a3d3a7d9dc2637ea42d075.jpg

1539639812_TartBite0637.thumb.jpg.24fd45736acd36d4c69d0d3781c52a4b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 2/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, BonVivant said:

Tortillas are served with almost everything.

Amjg3pF.jpg

hky97vs.jpg

Roasted and stuffed with vegs

DnAkTzf.jpg

A vast majority of guests are Americans (and Canadians). The sauces are for them. I only eat the salsas they make daily.

smart move on the salsas.  

• Like 2