• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

C603D05D-3482-4026-897F-90E6F126E4B1.thumb.jpeg.e6adaeddec50c7d97f48bd218b720663.jpeg

Fusion cuisine. Mince with rice because I had no suitable tatties. And even the mince wobbles outside the lines as I added some mushrooms that were wrinkling in the refrigerator. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Posting from Bahia Magdalena. Hoping to have more (soul-stirring) encounters with whales in the next 6 days.

Last lunches in Guerrero Negro. I walked down the town's main road and ate a couple of things at different places for the last time.

nHMwlPA.jpg

aAiUmJq.jpg

jY6ME7j.jpg%20

uA2tWSl.jpg

At the next place

XPQCge5.jpg

And the last

JQnryOr.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin 

that looks like a perfect plate of pasta to me.

just the way i like it.

Ill have to look up the Rx.

some times I like that sort of pasta w just a little bit of creamy-ness, a a hint of wine in the sauce

but id take that plate " as is " any day.

any day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

Ill have to look up the Rx.

some times I like that sort of pasta w just a little bit of creamy-ness, a a hint of wine in the sauce

but id take that plate " as is " any day.

any day.

If you find yourself with some bottarga, I very much recommend following Marcella with this one.  There are a lot of recipes out there.  Some, like Anthony Bourdain's, are simpler with just olive oil and garlic.  Others, like the Batali recipe in Babbo add additional ingredients like chili peppers, tomatoes, etc.  This one allows the bottarga to be the star but adds a bit of savory/sweetness from the onion (Marcella recommends scallions but allows that regular onion is more traditional) and lemon zest for brightness.   There's also a little parsley for color and a little bitterness. Pretty much perfect to me!

Edited to add that I went out and picked up a bottle of Vermentino from Sardinia to go along with this and it was the perfect accompaniment!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add wine (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Yesterday was lunch out with a friend at Kabuki Japanese Grill and Sushi Bar in League City.

6C7F246A-C232-4F9B-A97A-750274AFDFD0.thumb.jpeg.16091864c3b2d8c5d4207c1fc475f918.jpeg

We both had the Hibachi Lunch Combo of Filet Mignon and Shrimp. It was fun! Hadn’t done this in a while.

78BE1D76-BDF0-41A6-B7D5-A01642D35CC3.thumb.jpeg.b45063d9015f616e0f9463fd6adce443.jpeg

Today I made Mushroom, Onion, Carrot and Egg Fried Rice with yesterday’s leftover rice.

DC6868DF-CE20-4910-9460-DEA7EAB4899A.thumb.jpeg.1a398a56c6492f1224b607806af2621b.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 9

DF0739C0-3297-4027-ACF1-870C2BD88A73.thumb.jpeg.0032c3503037cb332181c559ade15849.jpeg

A glass of wine with lunch at League City’s Main St. Bistro - white for me and red for my friend.

91107270-75A9-4424-B7F0-2C065FAAA85B.thumb.jpeg.c5c23df9f241bcb9486c8bd0a463a93d.jpeg

Shrimp and Grits

From the menu: A house special & southern delicacy of cheesy grits topped w/ sautéed shrimp, bell peppers, onions, andouille sausage, & spices w/ a silky creole sauce
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

E9CED280-B4AD-4C7E-BE97-54B61CEAB31C.thumb.jpeg.85c4df005421700fdff2491393250865.jpeg

Baked potato topped with planned over mince. Lightly dressed (soy sauce and toasted sesame oil) sugar snaps on the side. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

planned over mince

Sorry, I've forgotten what this means? (Mince I understand.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I think she means I made more than enough for another different meal.  Planned leftovers. That is what I always thought when term used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I knew when I made it that I would make sufficient for a few meals. I still have enough to freeze for one more meal. I used only 8 ounces of beef. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

PvJ1Ojf.jpg

All looks wonderful but that very dark salsa on the right entices me. I see the dark toasted chiles but it looks like some oil and maybe a streak of dairy. Can you elaborate? Thanks for all your sharing.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Worked at the soup kitchen today, and the crew decided to go out to lunch afterward. We settled on Lost Pizza, a regional franchise. I had tamales with a cup of chili and grated cheese. Ate three of the six tamales, brought the rest home for another meal. They may be breakfast one day next week; I love them with a couple of fried eggs on top.

We made ham and bean soup for the kitchen, a healthy portion of which I brought home. That's either dinner tonight or lunch tomorrow.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A little fish taco feast at this simple and clean restaurant near my lodging.

eQVbo2S.jpg

yVpCEnR.jpg

Whole fish, bones removed.

WQbylaO.jpg

XWkPpHK.jpg

QujakqS.jpg

1cKcIwX.jpg

23 hours ago, heidih said:

All looks wonderful but that very dark salsa on the right entices me. I see the dark toasted chiles but it looks like some oil and maybe a streak of dairy. Can you elaborate? Thanks for all your sharing.

Guessing pureed rehydrated dried (smoked) chillies with something added to form a paste. I've read sometimes finely ground tortilla chips are used.

I wanted to ask for myself but forgot. I will when I get back to Loreto.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, BonVivant said:

A little fish taco feast at this simple and clean restaurant near my lodging.

eQVbo2S.jpg

yVpCEnR.jpg

Whole fish, bones removed.

WQbylaO.jpg

XWkPpHK.jpg

QujakqS.jpg

1cKcIwX.jpg

Guessing pureed rehydrated dried (smoked) chillies with something added to form a paste. I've read sometimes finely ground tortilla chips are used.

I wanted to ask for myself but forgot. I will when I get back to Loreto.

thinking chipotle paste