• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I could have added some olives or parsley or something but it was getting late and I was getting hangry.

I have noticed the planned garnishes and final touches soon diminish in importance as the hunger increases. You are OK I think until you are spooning the stuff directly from the pan into the mouth completely by-passing the serving dish. That’s my standard anyway. 

• Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I eat out of a ( Soup ) pan.

but so far Ive brought it to the table

its actually an All-Clad Saucier

I have two sizes   Soup for One

and Ravioli in broth  for  2 ,  Me and Me

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I eat out of a ( Soup ) pan.

but so far Ive brought it to the table

its actually an All-Clad Saucier

I have two sizes   Soup for One

and Ravioli in broth  for  2 ,  Me and Me

My dad does the same thing when his wife is away for an extended period. He regularly does dishes so that is not the issue. (old training from his apprentice days) Cracks me up. Oh and I use lots of red and black pepper but he can't re.esist digging a spoon or fork in if I have something on stove or cooling on counter- he can't take the heat - suffers in silence. 

• Haha 2

Okay, this was weird! After a morning of birding with our Audubon group in Galveston Island State Park, several of us headed for lunch at Nate’s in Jamaica Beach. I wasn’t feeling terribly hungry, so thought I would just order an appetizer. I ordered the Potato Skins (4 pieces).

865B2E9F-7732-4F35-91D1-19594014FA93.thumb.jpeg.079072821b40384eb48215cacc7f4591.jpeg

This is what I got! Three pieces came home in a to go box. Not sure what I am going to do with them!

• Like 5

I kinda learned my lesson in high school.    I had a job after school, came home, dashed through the house, pausing at the stove to snag a good looking bite.    "Croquettes?", I asked as I scarfed my score.    "Brains", she answered.    I now wait for plating and service. 

• Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@robirdstx they will reheat beautifully in the CSO if you have one.

Yes, that is what we did. I was just expecting one potato shell, with crispy skin, cut into four pieces and loaded with the cheese and bacon, instead of two halved WHOLE baked potatoes, with non-crispy skin.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

E860EA21-1611-487D-ABE2-5810D0FD1C3B.thumb.jpeg.edcfbef9b4dcdbebf98a30c5fab8a2b5.jpeg

Part lunch, part experiment. I bought some leeks which are an expensive vegetable here. Even my hero, Jacques Pepin, suggests that leek greens are only good for stock. But I have seen hints elsewhere but they can be slowly sautéed and enjoyed just as one enjoys the other end of the leek. I have been promising myself for years that I would give it a shot.  These were slowly sautéed in olive oil for about an hour after being very finally sliced. They become almost as silky as the white part. So I am calling this leek green gratin on toast. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Part lunch, part experiment. I bought some leeks which are an expensive vegetable here. Even my hero, Jacques Pepin, suggests that leek greens are only good for stock. But I have seen hints elsewhere but they can be slowly sautéed and enjoyed just as one enjoys the other end of the leek. I have been promising myself for years that I would give it a shot.  These were slowly sautéed in olive oil for about an hour after being very finally sliced. They become almost as silky as the white part. So I am calling this leek green gratin on toast. 

I use at least half of the green part, tossing the tough ends. I also toss two or three of the outer sheaves of each leek as they are also not tender. I chop them and saute them slowly as you did. Always great as a basis for a totally green soup or a potato leek soup, to be blended up along with all the other ingredients. Sorry to hear they are pricey up north; I would have thought they could grow in relatively cool climates. Braised leeks as a side dish are a treat, but you do need a fair number of them.

For just an ordinary stock of any kind I usually use an onion, but for a vegetable stock leeks are very helpful. I usually use stocks made from chicken, turkey and pork, but half my in-laws are vegetarians, and I find that using a strong vegetable stock for veg soups really is far better than just water. What you created sounds almost like a spread. Sounds yummy.  Probably Jacques' annoying daughter Claudine insisted he remove the green parts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

AA6EB038-E0FA-4389-9F89-9CEB60E8AE70.thumb.jpeg.3882eb2fb8a6a06bfb7e6298d3eb11ca.jpeg

Polish sausage, mushroom and cabbage soup. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

First food and my first real Mexican tacos (!) after 3 flights and 16 hours in the air, without sleep over 24 hours.

Roadside taco truck in Guerrero Negro (Baja Sur), sells only 2 things, prawn and fish tacos. I got 8.

Why did I even consider NZ or Australia? Did my research on both and was underwhelmed (I know just about everyone "loves" them). Turns out Mexico has more than food to offer me. It has my most favourite and epic animal and that's why I have come here and not NZ (original plan) or Australia (plan B).

xAz3rui.jpg

UPrdXOm.jpg

bJsNKou.jpg

White bits are cabbage, not cheese.

mmOa7i8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Baja is my backyard. Oh the fish market in Ensenada! The people!  Enjoy and share! Thanks! The current food culture there is amazing now on both street level and innovative.

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

First food and my first real Mexican tacos (!) after 3 flights and 16 hours in the air, without sleep over 24 hours.

Roadside taco truck in Guerrero Negro (Baja Sur), sells only 2 things, prawn and fish tacos. I got 8.

Why did I even consider NZ or Australia? Did my research on both and was underwhelmed (I know just about everyone "loves" them). Turns out Mexico has more than food to offer me. It has my most favourite and epic animal and that's why I have come here and not NZ (original plan) or Australia (plan B).

Armadillo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou