• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

I had decided we would have the just made Mafé for lunch today...and then thought.  It's made with turkey.   I can't eat leftover turkey today.   

So we are having Chinese instead.  Ed does the mises, and the I step in the cook the dishes.  Now that's the way to cook.   No photos.  It's still morning here. 

• Like 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Lunch with my dear friend, J and her 2-month-old tomorrow baby boy! We went to a relatively new Vietnamese place in town. Beautiful environment and great food.

I started off with a bowl of phở bò - the beef variety.

1187441629_20200102_1303061.thumb.jpg.ac4ecf0f26d9c642870656d948a5e740.jpg

Phở bò

2027811079_20200102_1303151.thumb.jpg.efa021e36c07c6deed86b2f93d8e9cde.jpg

Phở bò

We tried a platter of regular favourites. Spring rolls (Gỏi cuốn), shrimp, chicken and beef skewers and greenery.

8158970_20200102_1311401.thumb.jpg.b1961cc7d19c792e67bcd144e2b0f4e2.jpg

Then moved onto the best dish - Thịt bò lá thơm. Minced beef wrapped in pandan leaf!

1956150963_20200102_1308501.thumb.jpg.bee807582068eb6c68d5bb3aaa3498fc.jpg

Thịt bò lá thơm

20200102_131153[1].jpg

Then to finish off, some lime chicken wings and rice cakes.

221838915_20200102_1316091.thumb.jpg.f1c1c05b89b324828852513a7e75d03a.jpg

More than enough for two. My only disappointment was that they don't do my Vietnamese favourite - bánh xèo, but the restaurant is southern Vietnam style and bánh xèo is more northern, although I have had it in Saigon.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

bánh xèo,

Yep!  The best!  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bizarre combo, but it does taste good because of the sweet/salty thing...baked tofu with very thinly sliced celery, grape tomatoes, roasted pepper, cantaloupe...with some of the leftover lime/fish sauce dressing from last night's dinner. Trying to make use of odds and ends.

IMG_20200102_120558.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Bison chili with beans.  Oh, I made it yesterday but it's what's for lunch today.

Yesterday it was a big mixed salad and the final piece of fried chicken I had bought crisped up in the oven.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

OuTO8ZK.jpg

Thought I would get a break from eating Sicilian/Italian food when I got home but then I remember all this stuff I brought back...

u1FgNqf.jpg

That's only half of the cheese and lemons in the photo above. Mostly double smoked ricotta, which is a speciality in eastern Sicily. Sepia/cuttlefish ink between book and pistachio.

DIY pasta:

K7XtzN9.jpg

szFjuPY.jpg

In Sicily:

J7eml4D.jpg

cTDsVqC.jpg

wF7iZwG.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

On 1/2/2020 at 4:57 AM, liuzhou said:

Then moved onto the best dish - Thịt bò lá thơm. Minced beef wrapped in pandan leaf!

1956150963_20200102_1308501.thumb.jpg.bee807582068eb6c68d5bb3aaa3498fc.jpg

Thịt bò lá thơm

I didn't think you could eat pandan leaves... I've always seen them being very fibrous and stringy - most recipes I've seen using them have them as a flavoring agent and then removed - like in rice or custard.

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I didn't think you could eat pandan leaves... I've always seen them being very fibrous and stringy - most recipes I've seen using them have them as a flavoring agent and then removed - like in rice or custard.

In my local experience in Bò 7 món the leaf is la lot. We have a huge Viet population - no idea if what they use is typical but never had it fibrous or stringy.  https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2016/06/beef-wild-betel-leaf-recipe-la-lot.html  One of our favorite communal  meals.

Edited by heidih (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

In my local experience in Bò 7 món the leaf is la lot. We have a huge Viet population - no idea if what they use is typical but never had it fibrous or stringy.  https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2016/06/beef-wild-betel-leaf-recipe-la-lot.html  One of our favorite communal  meals.

Yes, from what I've seen, beef is most typically wrapped or cooked on la lot leaves (not easily obtainable in the US, and are typically pepper leaves being passed off as la lot)... but he specifically said pandan leaves, hence my question.  I've never seen pandan leaves used that way, but he has a lot more experience in Asia and Vietnam specifically than I do so I would never just assume that he used the wrong word but actually had something that I've never seen.

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

In retrospect, you are probably right. I just went by the Chinese translation from the menu (it was bilingual in Chinese and Vietnamese). It is quite possible that they mistranslated the Vietnamese.

Lá thơm literally means 'fragrant plant' and is applied to a number of things, including bay leaf. Unfortunately, translating 'fragrant plant' into Chinese gives one of the Chinese names for pandan.

So, in the end, I'm not sure  what it was. I have eaten thịt bò lá lốt several times in Vietnam, and while these were similar in appearance, there was a different taste.

I will investigate further on my next visit.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The one upside to having jury duty. There is no good Chinese food in my neighborhood (a lack of even any good American style Chinese) so going to Jamaica Queens gives me the chance to have some great Dan Dan noodles. Served with with fried vegetable dumplings. I may or may not have enjoyed these at a nearby bar where they could be chased with a double bourbon to ease the pain of the coming afternoon of boredom. 

20200103_131129.jpg

Edited by tonyrocks922 (log)
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, tonyrocks922 said:

The one upside to having jury duty. There is no good Chinese food in my neighborhood (a lack of even any good American style Chinese) so going to Jamaica Queens gives me the chance to have some great Dan Dan noodles. Served with with fried vegetable dumplings. I may or may not have enjoyed these at a nearby bar where they could be chased with a double bourbon to ease the pain of the coming afternoon of boredom. 

Guillotine!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ham & Cheese Toasties 

( I have come over all American and like the cast iron pan method - probably should throw away my Toastie Press space filler ). 

20200107_194853.thumb.jpg.f36be1a44cc0dfdd9b093916f770a65e.jpg

20200107_194813.thumb.jpg.2e8628d478f77fb4da179d7be61c4502.jpg

I make a cheese 'paste' with strong cheddar, leftover cheese ends (goats this time) mustard, woster, salt & pep. 

Ham salad wrap for husbands Smoko / First lunch. 

20200107_195126.thumb.jpg.cfcbf7c20e35abd4f7466f7a85390783.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

back to Thai Noodle w a friend

late lunch :

278335029_TodMan-1.thumb.jpg.855411dbeabd2676bab2fba313ff7ea7.jpg

best Tod Mun Pla Ive had.  very crispy , w a good deal of hot chili.   extra peanut sauce as requested.

I don't share.  we had two of these , one per person

and the Duck GreenPeppercorn :

1986379602_Duck-1.thumb.jpg.e0c0ae0e217fa3cdd0e846e36892b817.jpg

they now add a bit more sauce as I like it that way.  can't say what the sauce is really

I usually do TakeOut :   for the IceCold Hopunius Union Beer at home  ( 2 X sometimes )

its a shame that the liquor laws are so rife w corruption and graft

some third rated incomp.  relative of some ChairPerson on a third rated state commiteee

profides for them , and not for my Hoponius Union at this restaurant or any other

personal  BYOB  should be Free , and any restaurant etc

maybe that distant relative would have to get a job 

McD is hiring 

what a relief , as they say  got that off my [ fill inn for yourself ]

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

smoko?

I wondered the same thing... maybe the circus is in town and that's the name of one of the clowns?

Just thought of this one... maybe he's the least famous Marx brother? 

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I wondered the same thing... maybe the circus is in town and that's the name of one of the clowns?

Australian for teatime, I think. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog