• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

So, I am guessing this has been about 2 months... In that two months, i have eaten 3 meals that I have not cooked.. One from my father in law,  a slice of pizza or two and lunch today... As much as I am enjoying cooking 2.5 meals a day, I am pretty tired of eating my own food..And don't get me wrong, I do not think I have repeated a meal.. I have made everything from freaking beer bread and pretzels, to pizza, pancakes, pasta, dumplings, whatever it is..  Trying to keep it fresh and exciting.  But, ultimately, it's hard to surprise yourself..  Well, on that rare occasion it happens and I try to cook with spontaneity but yeh, occasionally, i wouldnt mind eating someone elses food...  Things like, not really knowing what I am going to make until I assess my inventory, not planning too much.. 

And, today was that day!   I haven't had thai food since all of this started... And well, I placed a called to my favorite thai restaurant in New York, Ayada Thai.. Its about a 20 minute drive away and it's as good as I remember.. 

Now, the thing about Ayada Thai is, when you ask for it spicy, they do not half step... They have a few levels spicy and thai spicy are the two hottest.. They use fresh thai peppers and tons of spice... And during these quarantine time, I haven't really been cooking any spicy food.. So, i guess my palate lost it's ability to easily handle the spice.. I literally use to not be able to tell the heat.. Someone would ask me if something is spicy and I would say, it's not bad.. Only to have it burn their face off.. So, i just went to, you shouldn't ask me.. Well, i normally get it all  thai spicy but, i was a little cautious today.. So, we went spicy and let me tell you, that was about my limit. 

Fried watercress salad.. Shrimp, squid, cashews, lots of lime and onion.. This was soo good.. they packed the fried watercress separately and it traveled remarkably well. 

49864542921_67f6463a2a_c.jpg

49864026688_496c2aca39_c.jpg

Sour Sausage Salad.. I ordered this thai hot and yes, burned my face off! 

49864027608_29026d48b0_c.jpg

This was catfish with eggplant.. I forget the thai name but, yes, a very spicy dish traditionally.. Did not disappoint.. we drank a gruner and I passed out for an hour.  The white in this dish are whole cloves of garlic... 

49864871957_2693d27f67_c.jpg

Crispy Pork with chinese broccoli 

49864563476_261cb50511_c.jpg

We also got sticky rice and well, that just hit the spot,... 

BKEats

BKEats

So, I am guessing this has been about 2 months... In that two months, i have eaten 3 meals that I have not cooked.. One from my father in law,  a slice of pizza or two and lunch today... As much as I am enjoying cooking 2.5 meals a day, I am pretty tired of eating my own food..And don't get me wrong, I do not think I have repeated a meal.. I have made everything from freaking beer bread and pretzels, to pizza, pancakes, pasta, dumplings, whatever it is..  Trying to keep it fresh and exciting.  But, ultimately, it's hard to surprise yourself..  Well, on that rare occasion it happens and I try to cook with spontaneity but yeh, occasionally, i wouldnt mind eating someone elses food... 

And, today was that day!   I haven't had thai food since all of this started... And well, I placed a called to my favorite thai restaurant in New York, Ayada Thai.. Its about a 20 minute drive away and it's as good as I remember.. 

Now, the thing about Ayada Thai is, when you ask for it spicy, they do not half step... They have a few levels spicy and thai spicy are the two hottest.. They use fresh thai peppers and tons of spice... And during these quarantine time, I haven't really been cooking any spicy food.. So, i guess my palate lost it's ability to easily handle the spice.. I literally use to not be able to tell the heat.. Someone would ask me if something is spicy and I would say, it's not bad.. Only to have it burn their face off.. So, i just went to, you shouldn't ask me.. Well, i normally get it all  thai spicy but, i was a little cautious today.. So, we went spicy and let me tell you, that was about my limit. 

Fried watercress salad.. Shrimp, squid, cashews, lots of lime and onion.. This was soo good.. they packed the fried watercress separately and it traveled remarkably well. 

This was catfish with eggplant.. I forget the thai name but, yes, a very spicy dish traditionally.. Did not disappoint.. we drank a gruner and I passed out for an hour.  The white in this dish are whole cloves of garlic... 

BKEats

BKEats

So, I am guessing this has been about 2 months... In that two months, i have eaten 3 meals that I have not cooked.. One from my father in law,  a slice of pizza or two and lunch today... As much as I am enjoying cooking 2.5 meals a day, I am pretty tired of eating my own food..And don't get me wrong, I do not think I have repeated a meal.. I have made everything from freaking beer bread and pretzels, to pizza, pancakes, pasta, dumplings, whatever it is..  Trying to keep it fresh and exciting.  But, ultimately, it's hard to surprise yourself..  Well, on that rare occasion it happens and I try to cook with spontaneity but yeh, occasionally, i wouldnt mind eating someone elses food... 

This was catfish with eggplant.. I forget the thai name but, yes, a very spicy dish traditionally.. Did not disappoint.. we drank a gruner and I passed out for an hour.