• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

I didn't think you could eat pandan leaves... I've always seen them being very fibrous and stringy - most recipes I've seen using them have them as a flavoring agent and then removed - like in rice or custard.

In retrospect, you are probably right. I just went by the Chinese translation from the menu (it was bilingual in Chinese and Vietnamese). It is quite possible that they mistranslated the Vietnamese.

Lá thơm literally means 'fragrant plant' and is applied to a number of things, including bay leaf. Unfortunately, translating 'fragrant plant' into Chinese gives one of the Chinese names for pandan.

So, in the end, I'm not sure  what it was. I have eaten thịt bò lá lốt several times in Vietnam, and while these were similar in appearance, there was a different taste.

I will investigate further on my next visit.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I didn't think you could eat pandan leaves... I've always seen them being very fibrous and stringy - most recipes I've seen using them have them as a flavoring agent and then removed - like in rice or custard.

In retrospect, you are probably right. I just went by the Chinese translation from the menu (it was bilingual in Chinese and Vietnamese). It is quite possible that they mistranslated the Vietnamese.

Lá thơm literally means 'fragrant plant' and is applied to a number of things, including bay leaf. Unfortunately, translating 'fragrant plant' into Chinese gives one of the Chinese names for pandan.

So, in the end, I'm not sure  what it was. I have eaten thịt bò lá lốt several times in Vietnam, and while these were similar in appearance,there was a different taste.

I will investigate further on my next visit.