• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Caramelized Onion, Coconut and Egg Curry served over Caramelized Onion and Jeera Rice, both from Meera Sodha's Made in India.  Grilled Broccoli with Chile and Garlic from Ottolenghi on the side. 

893680994_IMG_2023(1).thumb.jpeg.eb4e027544b95b0430ba3c8edf1b16a0.jpeg

Per the recipe, the eggs are supposed to be folded into the sauce before serving, but I wanted to see the pretty yolks.   

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Hot multi-grain cereal with gingery pears, topped with toasted walnuts, diced candied ginger and a drizzle of cream

IMG_2026.thumb.jpeg.c721d872f3b4350eefc7990806eda0a4.jpeg

The pears were the Poached Asian Pears with Black Peppercorns from Everyday Korean.  I used half poaching liquid/half water to cook the oatmeal. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@robirdstx– that breakfast is just classic!  Love the looks of the hashbrowns especially.

A few recent breakfasts:

DSCN0671.thumb.JPG.84738adabc2a221b8f69e5b42c5a3b14.JPG

Eggs, sausages, and lemon filled paczki. The sausages were a little disappointing.  I grew up eating Jones Little Pork Sausages.  They came raw, frozen, and cased.  When cooked, they had a very smooth surface and were really flavorful and peppery.  They still make them, but are only stocked by stores on the other side of the river.  In other words, our Wegmans and Publix don’t stock them, but southside Wegmans and Publix do.  Sigh.  I guess I’ve become a real Richmonder, because the idea of crossing the river just to buy sausage seems crazy to me.  So when I found Simple Truth house brand raw sausages at Kroger, I got interested.  Not the same, though.  No casing and the flavor wasn’t the same.  At least, as far as I could taste it wasn’t. 

Another:

DSCN0674.JPG.13d762e9212466c99f61826a320d9cee.JPG

I have seemingly lost my hard cooked egg shelling mojo.  The last half dozen I’ve peeled have ended up all torn up.  The spoon trick has failed me repeatedly.  And they were fairly elderly eggs, too😟

Today:

DSCN0675.JPG.3adc57fc018b0803ee9b722917f6f100.JPG

A regular and mini chocolate croissant from Lidl.  Pretty good for a commercial bakery. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

B0769B2B-7633-49F0-B6DB-B3115CA257BE.thumb.jpeg.b06cb011af725944d2c621a04f795608.jpeg

Compared to the lovely homemade pizzas that keep appearing this should probably be posted in the Gallery of Regrettable Food. But sometimes life dictates that we must settle. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

That lovely serving board would make a blob of canned dog food look tasty.  Isn't their work just stunning?  Ann and Mo are true artists.

Indeed they are. Thanks for noticing. Not that I was trying to make anyone notice. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

B0769B2B-7633-49F0-B6DB-B3115CA257BE.thumb.jpeg.b06cb011af725944d2c621a04f795608.jpeg

Compared to the lovely homemade pizzas that keep appearing this should probably be posted in the Gallery of Regrettable Food. But sometimes life dictates that we must settle. 

I'd happily eat that. Not the board!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Century eggs, rice. After taking the picture, I ruined it looks by slicing the eggs and applying a sauce of ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and light soy sauce.

I have some leftover sauce, so maybe I'll make a congee next.

IMG_20200228_171738.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

Fried Egg with Chorizo from José Andrés book Made in Spain 

IMG_2057.thumb.jpeg.ab773549ddf57b251cd456cfe18bb2ba.jpeg
The technique for cooking is interesting as it's fried in a little bath of smoking hot garlic-infused oil so it doesn't spread out and has more the shape of a poached egg but crispy around the edges.
Sharing the plate are a pile of  roasted mushrooms with garlic and rosemary and a piece of onion & goat cheese topped focaccia.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Fried Egg with Chorizo from José Andrés book Made in Spain 

Sharing the plate are a pile of  roasted mushrooms with garlic and rosemary and a piece of onion & goat cheese topped focaccia.

I did roasted mushrooms yesterday for breakfast but knew something was missing - rosemary! And it is right outside kitchen door!

• Like 1