• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I  wanted shrimp & grits.  Got the shrimp out to thaw but forgot to start the grits so I pivoted to this.  Louisiana BBQ Shrimp, crusty bread, corn 

IMG_2840.thumb.jpeg.e1873df7edd1397877d586145ac32d94.jpeg

Edited again to add that peeling shrimp at the table, particularly the breakfast table,  is not my jam.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
Forgot photo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3
47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I  wanted shrimp & grits.  Got the shrimp out to thaw but forgot to start the grits so I pivoted to this.  Louisiana BBQ Shrimp, crusty bread, corn 

Edited again to add that peeling shrimp at the table, particularly the breakfast table,  is not my jam.  

Oh there is a phrase  "to eat neatly is not to eat well at all" Your shrimp is quite appealing. Not a GRITS girl

• Like 1

@shain – your breakfast on Wednesday was just beautiful.  I am not a oatmeal fan, but I would eat that just to get those amazing fruits and nuts.

@robirdstx – seeing your BOLT sent me off to Costco with “regular bacon” on my list.  As much as I love my special Benton’s bacon, it just doesn’t work for me for BLTs.  The texture is too heavy and the smoke overwhelms everything else. 

@Anna N – those are some amazingly fresh looking bean sprouts in your chop suey!

@blue_dolphin – I would have a seriously hard time choosing between shrimp & grits and BBQ shrimp.  Two of my very favorite shrimp dishes. 

On Thursday, I had to get some blood drawn in the morning and picked up breakfast from our favorite bagel place:

IMG_3005.jpg.9929afc925711ba4f5937dbf042bcac7.jpg

ET with cream cheese and bacon. 

I was not feeling great on Friday afternoon and all night.  Mr. Kim pampered me on Saturday by bringing me breakfast on couch (😊😞

IMG_3007.thumb.jpg.fb411b779af4034a2debf2fedb6bd23a.jpg

Gently fried egg and Edward’s country ham.  It ended up pretty much being my food for the day.

This morning:

IMG_3019.thumb.jpg.48c6546203b3d962d3353ebfeb476dc8.jpg

Some lovely pears we’ve been getting and toasted and buttered leftover dinner rolls. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

1572276844_SoftBoiledEggswithToastFingersAugust5th2020.thumb.jpg.8e9da23fd52fd4b881d3c67cb4dbd0d5.jpg

Moe's breakfast. Steamed for 4 minutes. 

That is the most elegant soft boiled egg I have ever seen.    At least I think that's what it is.    Even if it's not, I'm going to serve our next ones that way.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

14 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That is the most elegant soft boiled egg I have ever seen.    At least I think that's what it is.    Even if it's not, I'm going to serve our next ones that way.   

Thanks @Margaret Pilgrim, and yes you are right. Soft boiled (although I steam them rather than "boil" them.  Moe likes them at  3 to 4 minutes depending on the size of the egg.

• Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – glad to see you got your shrimp and grits.  Those are some serious grits.  They look outstanding!

@CantCookStillTry – are square crumpets a thing in Australia?  I can only get them at one grocery chain that I know of and they are always round.  Even with the vegemite, they look so good that I just went and added them to my grocery list. 😄

This morning:

IMG_3026.jpg.3d9ba5b47be230c8708a42ea343eb73e.jpg

Fried egg on a heavily buttered English muffin. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook Crumpets are available everywhere and I've seen the square ones in most retailers. I have tried to make them myself ... and to be honest, my lazy ass prefers shop bought! 

I never ate a crumpet until I was 14, they were "weird" - then the boss at my first ever job made me some for brunch and I was too scared to say no. They were burnt to a crisp - I eat mine burnt and soaked in butter to this day 😄.  

• Like 1
On 8/5/2020 at 2:58 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I am not sure I am feeling square crumpets. Seems wrong. Shop bought obviously. Smothered in Vegemite for the kid - Also wrong.

Honestly, the Vegemite bothers me more than the squareness of the crumpets. I bear it no ill will but don't have a taste for it as a breakfast spread. 

That said, I'm sure many more might take exception to my choice of breakfast spread today - pesto!

IMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.02acb989e0d3f156848f4d932518433b.jpeg

Pasta with pesto and broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, carrots, red bell pepper and feta

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1
1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Honestly, the Vegemite bothers me more than the squareness of the crumpets. I bear it no ill will but don't have a taste for it as a breakfast spread. 

That said, I'm sure many more might take exception to my choice of breakfast spread today - pesto!

Pasta with pesto and broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, carrots, red bell pepper and feta

Ha! I find vegemite more an umami boost like mushrooms on toast. Your pesto, veggie, pasta breakfast reminds me of my mother who preferred leftovers for breakfast though she had quite a sweet tooth' more for the midmorning or afternoon coffee break. 

• Like 1

the most important point about Vegemite is that it is made from the sediment left from the brewing of beer.

So it is connected to beer.

That alone makes it good!

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

710626991_Frittata08-07IMG_1824.jpeg.4071b50faebcddd8535da34812378957.jpeg

53153245_Frittata08-06.jpeg.4d150e677684369efdafec2f52b481a3.jpeg

Top and bottom of a frittata made with 2 varieties of leftover pasta; one was pesto and potatoes, the other tomatoes and basil.

This is a preferred method (for me) of frittata, as opposed to my sometimes thicker, custardier one.

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@blue_dolphin – I would love that pizza combination for any meal, any time!

@liuzhou - thank you for that gorgeous egg!  What a color!

@Shelby – that reminds me – I need to add hash brown patties to my shopping list.

I’m satisfying my crumpet cravings these last couple of days – yesterday:

IMG_3065.jpg.7ac7f4756aa208d716ee7ea16f73ecec.jpg

Buttery, buttery crumpets and IP eggs.

This morning was my international breakfast:

IMG_3080.thumb.jpg.169642e8b31034cf2147c260a3cf0f28.jpg

NC sausage and British crumpets. 😄

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I made some lemon pepper pasta dough the other day and it was resting in the fridge.  Last night, I happened to watch this on YouTube:

so I had to try Eva's recipe for Pasta all'Alfredo that appears below the video if you follow this link to watch on YouTube.  

Basically just fresh pasta tossed with butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. Eva described it as something one would eat if you were sick, not entirely appealing but their reactions sold me anyway so I cooked up a portion this morning. 

My portion of lemon pepper fettuccine, before:

9D1596B7-0E26-44D4-8B3F-97A9BC35761F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b2b2e2ef6a7cbbc38a30f8446dc9b7df.jpeg

And after:

873438EC-B5D0-4B95-B40C-F6C7B5EC35F2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.067116d6827e4979ac5725e6643352fd.jpeg

So good.  I can't tell you how close I came to cooking up another portion.  I am equally proud and saddened by my restraint. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1
  • Similar Content

• By artiesel
      Does anyone know if using a high-protein flour, rather than AP flour, in a quickbread formula could create a gummy texture as a result of the protein slightly developing as it absorbs water?

I was attempting to reduce water activity in the formula by using flour with 14% protein rather than 8-10% protein. Am I out in left field on this one?
    • By curls
      Couldn't find a topic devoted to sourdough discard cooking, so thought I would start one and see how much interest it would generate. Moderators, if there is a topic, please merge.

Recently I have begun making sourdough bread and am caring for a sourdough starter. Since there is currently some difficulty finding flour (due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues, etc.) I don't want to throw out any of my sourdough starter. I am also following guidance from King Arthur Flour and Cooks Illustrated for working with a small sourdough starter (10 g. flour | 10 g. water | 10 g. sourdough starter) and using recipes that use smaller amounts of sourdough starter or only building my starter up if called for by a recipe.

I have made the following recipes and would make them again:
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard crumpets. https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe
      - King Arthur Flour sourdough discard waffles. I used a mix of yogurt & milk instead of buttermilk but otherwise made the recipe as written.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sourdough-waffles-or-pancakes-recipe

What are you doing with your sourdough discard?
    • By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Bhukhhad
      Breakfast in India vs Breakfast in our homes outside India
      My breakfasts have varied from the time I started to cook for myself instead of just enjoying my Mother’s cooking. At first they were a mix-match of meal fixings, or just dinner leftovers. Or the good old breakfast cereal and milk. But as the years passed and I was more organized, the meals I enjoyed in my Mother’s home began to swim in my memories. And I began to prepare those for my family. However, I am no amazonian chef, so depending on  the hectic nature of the days plans, I switched back and forth from convenience with taste, to elaborate and of course tasty breakfasts. We do have both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods but Indian breakfasts will mostly be vegetarian. 
      So here are some of the things I might make: 

1. Poha as in mostly ‘kande pohe’.
      2. Cheela/ Pudla
      3. Masala toast
      4. Indian Omelette
      5. Handwo piece
      6. Thepla
      7. Vaghareli rotli
      8. Dhokla chutney
      9. Idli sambhar
      10. Leftover sabji
      11. Muthiya
      12. Khakhra
      13. Upma
      14. Paratha

1. Kande Pohe: 
      The dish derives its name from Maharashtra where the Kande Pohe are celebrated as breakfast. They can of course like any breakfast, be eaten at any time. 
      Pohe/ Poha are steamed rice grains that have been beaten flat and then again redried. So they are like Rice flakes. Except they are hand pounded, so have a knobbly texture. 
      You get several varieties in the market. I prefer the thick white variety. 

1 cup dry poha per person
      1 medium onion sliced
      1/2 jalapeno deseeded
      1 sprig curry leaves
      2 small garlic cloves
      1/4 t cumin seeds
      1/2 lemon 
      1/8 t asafoetida
      1/4 t turmeric
      small handful of cilantro leaves
      1T fresh grated coconut
      2 T Peanut oil 
      salt to taste
      sugar to taste

In a pan heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds sputter, add sliced onions and stir. Saute on medium heat till they turn slightly browned here and there. Do not burn the onions. 
      Meanwhile wash the Poha in a colander and drain. Do this two or three times to get rid of any dirt and also to allow them to rehydrate. They do not need soaking. Fluff the poha with a fork. Add salt sugar turmeric asafoetida and chopped cilantro. Mix and set aside. 
      Once the onions are ready add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno along with the curry leaf sprig. 
      Turn the heat to low and add the poha mixture. Stir to coat and to allow the turmeric and asafoetida to cook. The poha will turn mildly yellow and start giving a wonderful fragrance. 
      Turn off the heat. Fluff gently and plate. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and a squeeze of lemon juice. 
      Finger licking good!! 
      Now when I make this next I will post a picture. 
      Update: Ok I felt the urge to have Kande Pohe for tonight’s dinner. So here is a picture. I am certain to enjoy it for breakfast as well. The measurement of 1 cup poha per person is too much for one meal. But carried over to another meal thats super good! I will also have some stir fried bok choy greens made in the same kadhai after the poha was done, and some cooked and sliced beetroot for salad. My family will add some haldiram sev on the poha for extra crunch! And we will all have some chaas to round off this meal. 

2. Cheela/ Pudla

These are essentially crepes but in the Indian style. 
      1/2 cup sieved garbanzo bean (Besan) flour. 
      Water to form a thin batter
      1T plain yogurt 
      1/2 t ginger garlic paste 
      1/4 or less green chili crushed
      2 t heated oil *
      pinch asafoetida
      pinch turmeric 
      salt to taste
      chopped cilantro (two sprigs)
      some ‘masala’ from a readymade pickle

Method:

mix the ingredients together except oil. Heat oil in a separate pan and add about 1 to 2 t of the hot oil onto the batter. It will sizzle. Use a whisk to stir thoroughly. The batter should be pouring consistency. 
      Let the batter soak for about half an hour if possible. 
      On a hot griddle, pour a ladle full of the batter. Turn the griddle with your wrist to spread the batter around. Cook on moderate to high flame. Flip the crepe when all the sides look like they are ready. You can add a little oil to the sides of the frying pan to make the edges crispy. 

In my home we usually have a Besan cheela with some yogurt its a quick and filling breakfast. You can have a small salad or fruit with it to make it more complete. Or fill the center of the cheela with some cottage cheese and fold for added creaminess! 
      3. Masala Toast : 

1 slice of bread (your choice) toasted
      1/2 small red onion minced
      1 medium roma tomato diced (or whatever you have)
      cilantro (few leaves)
      1/8 t cumin (optional)
      1/4 t chaat masala ( available in stores)
      1 inch cube paneer
      1 T peanut oil
      pinch turmeric (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the tomato and cook down to mush. Crumble the paneer and add the dry spices. Stir for a few seconds to warm the paneer. Add the cilantro and though I have not written it as an ingredient, I like a few drops of lemon juice. Do not overcook paneer.
      I started this topic because someone asked for Indian recipes on the new forum. I don’t think they have seen any yet. I hope they find this useful. I am enjoying it. 

I will add recipes to the list slowly. I have to however add that after a certain ‘age’ I have now resorted to having to make sure I have three things for breakfast besides coffee: a glass of water, a small portion of fruit and a small portion of some protein not necessarily meat. 
      Bhukkhad

• By liuzhou
      First breakfast of the year, on a freezing morning. 三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tún) Home made three taste wontons (pork, shrimp and shiitake) in a spicy broth.

Photos taken through a filter of steam.