• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

On 7/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

I must say that your tater tots look much more like the ones I recall and certainly your preparation beats mine by much more than a country mile. It was your mention of the tots that persuaded me to throw them onto my shopping list so thank you. 

In Canada, what brands are good.  I had a look today but did not buy.  Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

In Canada, what brands are good.  I had a look today but did not buy.  Thanks in advance.

Having only tried a single brand I’m afraid I can’t even begin to answer your question. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 7/14/2020 at 12:48 PM, Kim Shook said:

Confession time: sometimes when we have really good tomatoes I’ve been known to make 2 halves of a tomato sandwich – one with toast and one with soft bread.  It’s so hard to decide between the two. 

I am sure we must be twins.

• Haha 2

I may have mentioned this elsewhere  if so , sorry for the dup.

In my area , Ive tried the Ore-Ida's , the original brand

and generics , from stop & shop  and TJ's

most are the tubular version , but there are the flat kind , seen w @Anna N post

to me there is very little difference in the potato aspects

but larger differences in the innate seasonings

I use the CSO  now , and get mine fairly crisp.    they do not end up greasy .

I add additional seasoning , when I do , after baking.

I usually dip in Mayo , on the plate.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Can't answer for your side of the country. Here on the other coast it's (NB-based) McCain and (PEI-based) Cavendish, and I don't see a whole lot of difference between 'em. Both seem fine to me, though I seldom eat them (my GF loves them, and when I make "totchos" for her I'll usually nibble a few).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

two slices of cold plain pie(pizza). 

I ordered a personal pie and a piece of lasagna from a local place yesterday so I will have some food in the fridge for the next few days to eat on as well as the salad greens and baked chicken breasts to work with.  When it gets hot I have a problem eating but cold pizza and lasagna and chicken salad  or Cobb salad .... no problem.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Went out on some AM errands, intending to pick up bread and tomatoes to make a BLT.  I got those but the BLT will wait for tomorrow as I also picked up a pre-made sandwich

IMG_2293.thumb.jpeg.d3185cacb77f52484f69b72369cee45d.jpeg

Proscuitto, brie and arugula with their homemade fig jam.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
forgot to mention the fig jam! (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Bought a bag of my favorite pita breads from a local bakery (lucky to have them nearby, those are among the top 3 best pita breads I had).

I snaked on one, still warm, with tomatoes, chilies, olive oil, and herbs.

IMG_20200709_145258.jpg

Fluffy, tender, elastic, and flavorful.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6

~ Shai N.

33 minutes ago, shain said:

Bought a bag of my favorite pita breads from a local bakery (lucky to have them nearby, those are among the top 3 best pita breads I had).

I snaked on one, still warm, with tomatoes, chilies, olive oil, and herbs.

Fluffy, tender, elastic, and flavorful.

So simple and fresh. When my friend with 2 vegan daughters came back from an Israel trip her "beef" was "girls stop with the imitation food and eat the beautiful real vegetables!"

• Like 1

I would kill for those right now. And the ability to eat them without the accompanying gastric distress from celiac.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made a curry for breakfast... A vegan curry in order of operation. Oil, onions, salt, ginger, garlic, scotch. Bonnet, tomatoes, all spice, black pepper, lemon, bell peppers, coconut milk, curry powder, tomato paste, lemon, sugar, salt, baby broccoli, green beans, tofu, pea shoots, a whole can of ackee, cut up squash blossoms, served and topped with scallions and a little Thai basil.

The squash blossom flower was dragged through the sauce at the end and was delicious:  I also did the trick with the tofu where I froze and defrosted, froze and defrosted... It gave the tofu a wonderful texture. 

50128031918_f24dcecb28_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, BKEats said:

I also did the trick with the tofu where I froze and defrosted, froze and defrosted... It gave the tofu a wonderful texture.

I used to do this back in the Hippie cooking era.   Only freezing and defrosting once, it make tofu "crumbly" so you could saute it and use like hamburger.

eGullet member #80.

41 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I used to do this back in the Hippie cooking era.   Only freezing and defrosting once, it make tofu "crumbly" so you could saute it and use like hamburger.

If just me I use half the block "fresh" and do the freeze with the other half for variety. Only one freeze. A nice contrast

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain said:

Home made Crumpets. With butter and a drizzle of local honey.

Bees have a mile or so foraging distance. Do you know what your honey is coming from. My hives  had an odd mix of citrus and eucalyptus! Good taste though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Caponata, grilled artichokes, kalamata olives, pepperoni and feta tossed with lumaconi

Had to look up lumaconi!

CCAC9530-DB10-4C98-9DB5-DC24E4CC8898.thumb.jpeg.7627fec3d63417b25a1dff1df1f7ec5b.jpeg

Cheese and onion toasties. I suspect the photograph may be somewhat blurry and it may be time for me to give up on photography. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog