• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

I love breakfast but very often I don't have time to prepare them. Sometimes I prepare salads evening before so they are ready for my breakfast. Salads can be really different, you can add anything you want. My favorite is with salmon, lettuce, cocktail tomatoes, sunflower seeds and feta cheese. I also recommend you different sandwiches. I really like one with salmon and spinach. It should be covered with Hollandaise sauce but I think that it can be modified.

I'm an oatmeal guy. The most satiating of the cereal-type breakfasts, according to the limited clinical research that has addressed the subject.

In my case, I use steel-cut oats and add a handful of raisins (they plump nicely as the oats cook) and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon. Not the way my Scots ancestors would have done it, by any means, but it works for me. Sometimes I'll add a spoonful of yogurt or some additional fruit to the bowl.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Poached egg with aleppo pepper on Dave's Killer Bread 28 grain thin sliced loaf and a glass of green vegetable juice I made in my Vitamix.  It has spinach, carrot, cucumber, avocado, tomato, garlic, cayenne pepper and a blood orange.  I liked it better today than yesterday. Yesterday the raw garlic was pretty harsh but it was nice and mellow today.

egg.thumb.jpg.b2dabfe3057a92f8b9f229a4a6b51524.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

On 1/15/2020 at 7:52 AM, ab.jennifer said:

Does anyone recommend a yummy breakfast that doesn't involve eggs? I'm non egg eater.

Thank you

Massabacha is a vegan dish, similar to hummus, but it is not blended. It is a hearty, healthy breakfast that can keep you going until evening :)

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

43743C0B-6717-4078-B5D3-999D6ECAFB40.thumb.jpeg.d5caed705e7d9b94ae148f1690118c1a.jpeg

Duck egg omelette with sharp cheddar and caramelised onions. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Half of leftover roasted garnet sweet potato reheated in office microwave, scored and put a little butter, cinnamon, and squeeze of lime. Plus a couple of almonds on the side.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Peanut butter on toast, with 2 mandarin oranges.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Another Diana Henry baked potato suggestion used atop a roasted sweet potato:

IMG_1784.thumb.jpeg.c1d00d3eed1f7771eef47063436cfbc2.jpeg

Sour cream, smoked trout, scallions, and dill.  She recommends starting with a knob of butter which would be just the ticket with a fluffy baker but not necessary here.  I'd add a squeeze of lemon but used lime today because my tree is loaded. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Nuked sliced leftover boiled marble potatoes with leftover porkchop gravy.    Husband had freshly baked orange "whomp" Danish.    I can't eat them on an empty stomach.   

Whomping is so satisfying. As if one has accomplished something of import first thing in the morn. Orang ones smell lovely as I recall.

• Like 2

A3AB02F4-4466-4550-BC31-E14FC6AFADA7.thumb.jpeg.18c94a47bcf0ba8755014cffe53a21d8.jpeg

Store-bought naan, marinated artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A3AB02F4-4466-4550-BC31-E14FC6AFADA7.thumb.jpeg.18c94a47bcf0ba8755014cffe53a21d8.jpeg

Store-bought naan, marinated artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese. 

That looks delicious. It's similar to some of my dinner plans in the eventual future. How did you caramelize the onions? Did you use the Paragon?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

47 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks delicious. It's similar to some of my dinner plans in the eventual future. How did you caramelize the onions? Did you use the Paragon?

No I must confess I did not. I am not quite as over the moon with the gizmo as others are. I think it has passed its best before date for me! I still think it’s best use in my house would be deep frying but I haven’t done that in a couple of years. We shall have to see if I can think of other uses for the precision cooking method. Having been in close proximity to the Control Freak for some six weeks in the summer I think I am Inclined to considerate the Paragon “clunky”. Of  course $69 versus $1800 ought to be considered as a factor. 😂

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

We need a YUM emoji!  Like this one.

yum emoji.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett