• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

recipes that have more vegetables

My favorite combo is cucumber, a little mild anaheim chile and lime.   I guess avocado could be added for a creamier body, but I like the lighter clearer juice style.    Also, I add cilantro, I forgot, but that's not for everybody.

Edited by lemniscate
cilantro (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Breakfast. Figured Moe needed some protein after last night's "Pie for Dinner".

1657192360_ScrambledeggswithfriedbackbaconandwhitecheddarJanuary8th2020.thumb.jpg.b44bbf1b32208fbb7843bae46bf01ba6.jpg

Scrambled eggs with fried back bacon and white cheddar. Toasted sourdough baguette.

Take note @Margaret Pilgrim...(who has an endless supply of leftover ham from the holidays)you could use HAM instead of back bacon....just a thought.  The eggs look delicious...adequately coated in bacon fat I might add. 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's breakfast.

Baked Potato with Broccoli.
This is the biggest baked potato I've ever baked.
Was over 7 1/2" long and weighted just over 1 1/2 lbs.

I bought a box of Russet Potatoes yesterday and they are all huge.

Took over two hours in a 400°F oven.

That’s my idea of a baked potato!

I used to buy the big 20-lb. bags of bakers at Costco...potatoes were huge.

These days I can’t eat that much, I”m lucky if I can eat Half a normal-sized one.  But I still love potatoes in any form.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Actually Canadians use metric.  But old habits die hard.🙂.

True but our ovens still arrive using the Fahrenheit scale and all our recipes still use the Fahrenheit scale so we are only pseudo metric!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

True but our ovens still arrive using the Fahrenheit scale and all our recipes still use the Fahrenheit scale so we are only pseudo metric!

At my last rental the oven was in Celsius, and I needed to print out an equivalency table and tape it up beside the range.

After a year or so I got used to it, but it definitely required thought (unless I was working from an overseas recipe, in which case it was pretty simple).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

39 minutes ago, chromedome said:

At my last rental the oven was in Celsius, and I needed to print out an equivalency table and tape it up beside the range.

After a year or so I got used to it, but it definitely required thought (unless I was working from an overseas recipe, in which case it was pretty simple).

This would be me.  

• Like 1

Husband returned from London very late last night.  I always send him photos of what I am cooking while he is traveling, and his first request was that he wanted breakfast tacos like I made for myself the other day.  So, I did tacos again this morning, but with bacon added

539480538_bfasttacos.thumb.jpg.a17931b8ab5861fce11052dca9fdd5ba.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

I've had an old box of matzo in need of being used, so I decided to pretended it's Passover and make matzobrie.

Served with rosewater and cinnamon flavored date paste; and walnuts.

IMG_20200104_135503.jpg

IMG_20200104_135848.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

I was looking for something to make with sweet potatoes and sausage and came upon a recipe for Sweet Potato Hash with Caramelized Onions, Sausage & Eggs that sounded good.  Reading through the comments, it seemed like people were having issues with getting the individual ingredients cooked to their liking and I was getting hangry so I made a deconstructed version

IMG_1763.thumb.jpeg.d317c4ff4004f7405f3b3ec65d3c0b51.jpeg

Roasted sweet potatoes, halved and heated on the Phillips grill while the Italian sausage cooked and topped with roasted balsamic onions with sage and a bit of watercress for color.  

The sweet potatoes, onions and sausage would have been a fine breakfast but I went ahead and added 2 crispy fried eggs.

Edited by blue_dolphin
because I can't spell (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was looking for something to make with sweet potatoes and sausage and came upon a recipe for Sweet Potato Hash with Caramelized Onions, Sausage & Eggs that sounded good.  Reading through the comments, it seemed like people were having issues with getting the individual ingredients cooked to their liking and I was getting hangry so I made a deconstructed version

Roasted sweet potatoes, halved and heated on the Phillips grill while the Italian sausage cooked and topped with roasted balsamic onions with sage and a bit of watercress for color.  

The sweet potatoes, onions and sausage would have been a fine breakfast but I went ahead and added 2 crispy fried eggs.

One of my favorite breakfasts is cubed sweet potatoes, stir-fried with onions, and at the last minute, some pulled pork barbecue tossed in just long enough to get hot. Top it with an over easy egg sprinkled with some barbecue dry rub and drizzle the whole thing with a little sauce. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Great photo.

• Thanks 1

Another sweet potato breakfast today.  This one inspired by a Diana Henry suggestion for turning a baked potato into something more substantial.  

IMG_1765.thumb.jpeg.587055e717ed99c48c96d7120391a488.jpeg

Roasted sweet potatoes, reheated on the Phillips Avance grill, topped with crème fraîche, watercress, Roquefort and toasted walnuts

• Like 4

First time poaching duck eggs. Egg number one was an epic fail. It stuck like glue to the bottom of the pan I normally use for poaching eggs. After that disaster I reached for a nonstick pan which is really not deep enough to properly poach an egg. I basted this one almost constantly with water. As you can see it wasn’t entirely without injury.

2482E0E5-7CBB-4310-BD7D-3B4D490807AA.thumb.jpeg.92730fa7e1749ae678afc162537e3c5f.jpeg

020FC0F8-8EA1-4F03-ADBB-E447968679FD.thumb.jpeg.7fd18d722628053e0462c6fa38439f30.jpeg

But it made for a nice breakfast. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

First time poaching duck eggs. Egg number one was an epic fail. It stuck like glue to the bottom of the pan I normally use for poaching eggs. After that disaster I reached for a nonstick pan which is really not deep enough to properly poach an egg. I basted this one almost constantly with water. As you can see it wasn’t entirely without injury.

2482E0E5-7CBB-4310-BD7D-3B4D490807AA.thumb.jpeg.92730fa7e1749ae678afc162537e3c5f.jpeg

020FC0F8-8EA1-4F03-ADBB-E447968679FD.thumb.jpeg.7fd18d722628053e0462c6fa38439f30.jpeg

But it made for a nice breakfast. 

Well that's quite an achievement! I've been poaching duck eggs for decades and although I've had failures (freshness issues usually), I've never known a poached egg to stick to a pan - and I don't use non-stick pans. Well done! Proud of you!

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Another Diana Henry baked potato idea translated into a sweet potato breakfast

IMG_1773.thumb.jpeg.382a8bbbe7b32128f4ce7fe8256df340.jpeg

Her suggestion is to scoop out the flesh from a baked potato and mash it.  Sauté minced onion in butter, add cooked ham and a bit of cream.  Mix that with the mashed potato and cheese (she recommends camembert, Cheddar or Gruyère, I used the Beecher's New Woman that's flavored with Jamaican Jerk spices), refill the potato skins and bake or broil. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Truth be told, I usually get the Protien Plus granola from Aldi. But memory tells me my favorite recipe was from Epicurious. 4 cups oats, 1 cup nuts, 1/2 cup assorted other seeds, 1 cup coconut. Dressing of 1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 maple syrup,  spices taste ( cinnamon,  ginger, allspice). Toast in 350F oven for 40 minutes, stirring periodically.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com