• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Here it is.  Sometimes ATK recipes appear on The Splendid Table website or on the PBS affiliate websites.  

Oops. That’s the recipe for the eggs. I think you were looking for the recipe for the bread?

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Well, damn.  I completely missed that.  Sigh.

No worries. These are trying times and dammit all you tried. 

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/1/2020 at 5:40 PM, Anna N said:

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look up the ATK Method. 167°F x 12 mins then 1 minute in an ice bath. Fridge cold large eggs. Will definitely order my lab Assistant to attempt this one very soon. 😂

Nope. That definitely isn’t it. 2929F120-B2C7-4FE8-9409-A97AEA94EBA4.thumb.jpeg.ed6c9f3fa51af6bc9af465387d760745.jpeg

Lab assistant was busy so I did it myself and I know that I adhered to all specifications. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

A very sturdy breakfast here.  Two of the Cheese & Spicy Pepper Potato Balls I ordered from Porto's bakery "bake at home" service and a 6.5 minute egg

I tried Portos last year for the first time - food is worth the travesty of that parking lot in BP.  I am exploring delivery options now, no thanks to you :)

Edited by jedovaty (log)
  • Haha 2

75AF73BD-4730-4F01-A484-E518356C99B8.thumb.jpeg.adf1defe51a1d9a866f5699ca9915df9.jpeg

Not often I have anything sweet for breakfast. Strawberry jam on commercial white bread. Such bread usually has a high sugar content and thus makes fabulous toast. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

76990D16-8209-4DCE-9453-9AF5159C3EEC.thumb.jpeg.d822c77d39338e4b63d29e2c64d85718.jpeg

Little patience for photography this morning hence the  rather  strange looking breakfast. Nothing more than white toast with leftovers of duck breast and roasted tomatoes. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Why not?

Why not indeed. You go for it and enjoy every bite. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

763F3555-6E17-4B21-B0F7-7BAF01492610.thumb.jpeg.cf3ed49756ad3f8e62a374658e750ed4.jpeg

caramelized onions and blue cheese on toast. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

caramelized onions and blue cheese on toast. 

I've never been one to argue with a good idea

IMG_2289.thumb.jpeg.66d85da1c734acf6d30fee144080b5b5.jpeg

especially since a packet of balsamic roasted onions with sage was handy in the freezer.  

Not everything in my freezer is "handy" but these had fallen out and landed on my toe yesterday when I was looking for something else so I knew right where they were 🙃

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

26CD6B29-46AB-4757-8862-356C7663AE53.thumb.jpeg.498e4c1f4a54ab07131abd347de0ad6b.jpeg

Egg with inclusions: peppers, onions, bacon bits.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I have been drinking Chinese Green and Black tea since on lock down.. I go to china regularly and have accumulated a lot of tea over the last year.. And though I am not a regular coffee drinker, I am appreciating the caffeine.  So anyway, tea and toast, that's a thing. 

Anyway, I made this bread yesterday, a beer bread.... 

49742814778_692f3d16fb_z.jpg

This morning a grilled a couple of slices, covered in butter and apple jam, happily enjoyed it. 

49746826092_62d632de61_z.jpg

I also made a fennel syrup yesterday and had some of that too

49743756897_ff27e84fa6_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 9

After seeing @blue_dolphin's and @liuzhou's soft cooked eggs, I believe those need to be in my future.  But then, everyone’s breakfasts look so good.  Sweet and savoury.  Inspirational!

A couple of recent ones from me:

IMG_1731.jpg.75d2191e26f4edb340d8cac885eff79d.jpg

The penultimate leftover pancake.  I am exercising extreme restraint leaving the last one for Mr. Kim.

Today:

IMG_1741.jpg.151f747b36ff59adc38d1b3d1d98c62a.jpg 

The white bread that I made.  We had a discussion on another thread about my no-knead bread not toasting very well and you see that it is happening with this bread, too.  It was suggested that the fault with the no-knead was a lack of any sweetener.  This bread has honey in it. I remain perplexed.  

• Like 9