• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

On 12/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, heidih said:

Did the turnip which has less starch I think allow you to get crisp bits? Flavor mix sounds great though I would omit red bell as I am :allergic"

I don't think I got the turnip crispy, but I gave the potatoes a few minutes' head start so they would have a nice crust.

Honestly, the pepper mostly just added color; you wouldn't miss it much. I would have been hard pressed to taste it clearly among all the other flavors.

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

I don't think I got the turnip crispy, but I gave the potatoes a few minutes' head start so they would have a nice crust.

Honestly, the pepper mostly just added color; you wouldn't miss it much. I would have been hard pressed to taste it clearly among all the other flavors.

One more reason to leave it out.

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Y’all need to eat breakfast.  Haven’t you heard about it being the most important meal of the day?  Just sayin’. 😁

I do eat breakfast every day. Sometimes they end up in another thread.  Sometimes I forget to take a photo.  

This morning, there was a bit of cacio e pepe discussion in a pizza topic that got me thinking in that direction but I also wanted some vegetables so I made the Pasta alla Gricia with Slivered Sugar Snap Peas from Six Seasons

IMG_3377.thumb.jpeg.5df3ec6ceba59d3951706851c4c14147.jpeg

No guanciale in the house so I diced up a handy biscuit slice of country ham. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

On 12/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, Kim Shook said:

Y’all need to eat breakfast.  Haven’t you heard about it being the most important meal of the day?  Just sayin’. 😁

Crumpets, IP hard cooked egg, and the last delectable Harry & David pear.

IMG_4239.thumb.jpg.6eb2ec041f8a993d3206c627434ca420.jpg

That reminds me, I need to make crumpets again. Then again, I've had biscuits on the brain for weeks...

I keep thinking of ham and cheese, warm, in warm buttermilk biscuits. I have the ham. I have the cheese. I have the self-rising flour and buttermilk, but still haven't gotten to making the darned biscuits. When breakfast time comes it comes with a vengeance and I'm grabbing for the yogurt and fruit. It's a time-management dilemma.

Kim, would you adopt me?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That reminds me, I need to make crumpets again. Then again, I've had biscuits on the brain for weeks...

I keep thinking of ham and cheese, warm, in warm buttermilk biscuits. I have the ham. I have the cheese. I have the self-rising flour and buttermilk, but still haven't gotten to making the darned biscuits. When breakfast time comes it comes with a vengeance and I'm grabbing for the yogurt and fruit. It's a time-management dilemma.

Kim, would you adopt me?

Glad to!  😁  I, too, need to make crumpets.  Those, my dear, are store bought and I haven't the slightest idea if they are good or not.  They taste good to me.  

• Like 1

Egg sandwich on sourdough 

IMG_3381.thumb.jpeg.16e2a6ce7add94a28e4562ed256fe768.jpeg

I've been making various iterations 🙃 lately.  This one had Vivian Howard's Little Green Dress on both sides of the lightly toasted bread, TJ's Unexpected Cheddar melted over that on one side. I'm not there yet, but no complaints either. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

After @scamhi had chili crisp on ice cream over here in the dinner topic and referenced Kenji's NYT article: Chili Crisp is Even Good with Ice Cream, I went ahead and made the Sichuan Peanut Streusel, subbing in cashews and enjoyed the sundae. 

Now, in possession of enough streusel for 11 more sundaes, I embarked on the first of what I'm sure will be multiple attempts to use it.  Sweet potato came to mind so I put one in to bake, thinking to blend the pulp with some coconut milk and fresh ginger and top with the streusel for a casserole-type thing.  Went through a few other ideas in my head but decided on the version below.

Sweet potato slices with spicy chili crisp, Sichuan cashew streusel and yogurt

IMG_3386.thumb.jpeg.79c31e21a1bb882a9c94d72163130e4e.jpeg

Oh, and here's the sundae.  I really liked it. 

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.c3b1499a2820554d3af36600f0a50a8b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast this morning for Children A and C utilized the last of the Thanksgiving cranberry relish.

20201212_095723.thumb.jpg.b89bdbce4317919878c0acd01090c515.jpg

Please pardon horrible cell phone photos. These are "cranberry brie bites," utilizing canned crescent roll dough in a mini muffin tin, filled with a chunk of Brie (or in this case, Camenbert), and topped with cranberry relish. I suspect it'd be good with most any fruit preserve or marmelade.

Breakfast for me was a gluten free English muffin (similar to an English muffin only in shape, but an adequate vehicle for supporting assorted breakfasts), topped with a soft-boiled egg smushed up with grated smoked gouda and chopped bacon and a small squirt of Dijon mustard.

20201211_150355.thumb.jpg.80c11982c18d32b50badbf49bb179aed.jpg

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Kim Shookmy xmas breakfast has been bagels and lox for years now. I'm not a person who gets up early and turns on the oven in the kitchen. Ever. Once in a blue moon where there's nothing that can be fed to the toaster I can get my husband to make popovers, as he finds it rather brainless and fast.