• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

A couple of recent breakfasts:

IMG_3848.jpg.583f88757c75bd6e625aca2a8d2277b7.jpg

Toasted cinnamon raisin bread, sage sausage, and hard cooked eggs.  The cinnamon raisin bread is gone now, of course.  We cannot keep it in the house.  Especially if we have peanut butter.  And if we have blueberry preserves, forget it – it’s gone in two days. 

Today - because sometimes you just feel like being trashy:

IMG_3865.jpg.d11f71df1ca059f51908c4843060611e.jpg

Whomp sweet rolls.  I somehow ended up with a coupon for a free roll of these.  I think I “Karen-ed” them about another product and they sent me a bunch of freebies.  The rolls were about to expire and it just seemed like breakfast.  So, with some sage sausage, it was:

IMG_3866.jpg.2ba4118da9a15606ffcc6b5c494d070a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I salt apples, along with tomatoes, watermelon and canteloupe.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:43 AM, robirdstx said:

Haven’t tried salting apples, but I do salt watermelon, celery, radishes and (sometimes) carrots.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

48E111F3-A97A-44D2-8779-DF55FD5F141F.thumb.jpeg.80aee2a5ec1867081dee17ef534de9b2.jpeg

Onigirazu with a butter- and soy sauce basted fried egg. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday's breakfast was a Roti Pizza from Indian-ish which I made on a TJ's frozen paratha instead of roti.  Sliced red onion and sharp cheddar, topped with cilantro chutney.  I'll make some roti today to compare.

IMG_3215.jpeg.cd49bb6ede418c37e2a356ef102ce912.jpeg

Today, a gingerbread waffle (recipe from Jubilee, waffle most recently from my freezer) served as a vector for lemon curd. Too hungry to take a "before" photo 🙃

IMG_3216.jpeg.d45624078fd06d9ec50f8a813ebddb8a.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

More of a brunch I guess. Makhlouta (which means "a mixture" in Arabic). Made of ful (fava beans) and chickpeas, cooked very tender and served with plenty of good olive oil, lemon, spices (garlic, cumin and minced parsley in my case) and an optional dollop of tahini. I added some chopped onion, freshly made green zchug and long-cooked haminados eggs.

In Israel, this version is served in hummus restaurants. I'm not sure if it is directly related to the Lebanese stew of the same name (it's also made of mixed legumes and grains) or was it just names the same for being a mixture of fava and chickpeas which are common in many Hummus restaurants (I feel funny using this term - no one here will refer to a "Humusseria", i.e. hummus-place as a restaurant). The "restaurant" version is often served with lots of oil [for example]. I prefer it less rich (it's heavy enough), using a smaller amount of really good oil instead

PXL_20201017_103403065.thumb.jpg.94b6110b8f9e7a91fc1bdc21bd7f0858.jpgPXL_20201017_103608176.thumb.jpg.e3368b11ed4f695dfe37b33c2d2b32d3.jpg

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

Made of ful (fava beans) and chickpeas

I LOVE ful, it's one of the first things I eat when I get off the plane any place that has it! Sometimes I try to make it using Italian fava beans, but it's not the same! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ambra said:

I LOVE ful, it's one of the first things I eat when I get off the plane any place that has it! Sometimes I try to make it using Italian fava beans, but it's not the same! 

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

41 minutes ago, shain said:

Nothing special about the local beans, I don't think. The only "secret" I know of is a good long soak and and a long slow cooking time. Some flavorings perhaps? Bay leaves and garlic are commonly added, some add an onion or carrot. I like it with a really peppery olive oil, but in some African countries ghee is also common. I knew of places that add lentils, to mellow the fava taste and make it more paste like as they break down.

If you like ful, do try it on top of a sharp tangy labneh, with plenty of olive oil and cumin. That's my favorite way to eat ful. Tomatoes, chilies and a boiled egg are a must. In the picture below it's a salad based on egg, pickles, onion and tahini; as well as a salad of tomatoes and chili.

IMG_20180825_154327_1.thumb.jpg.4b313725655b86765068d2eacf897fbf.jpg

These are the only fava beans I can get here. When I get fresh in spring, I do all kinds of fun recipes. These I reserve for fave e cicorie. But yes, that's definitely the way I enjoy Ful!  So delicious! 😊

image.png.1a4133f881dcce3505fe1d9e89f0c795.png

Edited by ambra (log)
  • Like 1

Once again forgot to take a picture — but green tomato shakshuka was brunch yesterday. Really came out well.

We got a bunch of green tomatoes from our CSA a week ago — I was going to pickle them, but while I was getting around to it, half of them ripened. So not worth the effort.

I remembered that Rawia Bishara's tomatillo shakshuka was originally developed as a green tomato recipe, so figured it couldn't hurt to try.

Of course I didn't actually follow her recipe or any other, just used what I had. Sauteed onions, mild jalapeños, a random Hungarian Wax pepper, and garlic, then added in the diced green tomatoes. Simmered that with a bit of water (with a touch of bouillon powder since I didn't have stock open), some ground coriander, and a little can of roasted green chiles (these were Target brand, but I usually get the ones from TJ's). Forgot to add cumin at the beginning, so sizzled up some cumin seeds in oil and threw that in midway through. Also roasted two slightly sickly poblanos in the CSO; peeled, chopped, and thrown in when they were ready. Let it all simmer down until the tomatoes were tender. Stirred in some ribbons of spinach for extra green towards the end of that.

In with the eggs, which I actually nailed the texture on for once. Finished with lemon juice, parsley, and some crumbles of cotija.

Really tasty and we felt good eating it. I'd repeat it frequently if I had access to green tomatoes! Tomatillos would be fine, I'm sure, but good ones are hard to find reliably here (and that was when I was shopping in person).

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

29B623CA-9B28-4593-8F9E-ED25CD544DF0.thumb.jpeg.a8e4ae160cfb2f5d32f723837670045d.jpeg

Toasted sourdough bread spread with slow-roasted sweet potato purée mashed with some miso butter then topped with soft scrambled eggs and Campari tomato dice.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@liamsaunt – lovely sandwich – almost a Spanglish!

@blue_dolphin – well it’s hard to tell (😉), but the combination of lemon curd and gingerbread waffle sounds perfect! 

Some recent breakfasts - sausage, egg, and cheese biscuits (the biscuits were frozen ones):

IMG_3894.jpg.778c05c02d945a9034603fe862597701.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg.9fe5adc3889e68b7fb3d8f0dc849a286.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg.0091b0d1b3e136746b81ba12475977e5.jpg

Yesterday I had a PT appointment and stopped on the way home at our bagel place for a BEC on an ET bagel:

IMG_3903.jpg.ad1ac1f731015a5f6dda3f38d669e16b.jpg

Later in the day, I took some panettone out of the freezer and made French toast to have on hand this week:

IMG_3899.jpg.68bef1b75058949d4a6cc729a142f7c3.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg.95be4851e297fbbb3612423ee008035b.jpg

This morning Mr. Kim came back from an early doctor’s appointment with these:

IMG_3904.jpg.2330a333ebe45e421d9508fa73287f3e.jpg

From our favorite doughnut place. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

D5F32C9D-10B0-443F-9698-D1A82F5AA759.thumb.jpeg.32f49b1c795bb6783c1bc6d1c4d8bab2.jpeg

Toasted sourdough, sweet potato purée, roasted shallots and mushrooms, and a fried egg. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kim Shook, love your idea of breakfast.  Moe would be thrilled with all of them.   And I'm not a big breakfast eater, except when it comes to sweets.

Like donuts and cinnamon rolls. 

1459533848_HamSandwichBreakfastOctober28th2020.thumb.jpg.32eeb4104498b7100a1f2f0a5021bd3d.jpg

Baked late Tuesday night and made Moe a ham sandwich for breakfast on one of the mini boules. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T 

mighty fine looking CPP  Ill say !

hoping the CeleryCount was low to zero.

TJ's has decent TurkPP , w no celery 

and a single puff-like pastry top

nice enough 

but the CPP has celery in it 

someone needs to get On the Ball.

55 minutes ago, scamhi said:

leftover white truffle from last night's dinner. on soft scrambled egg.

(sigh) Leftovers agaiiiiinnnn:P

"Leftover white truffle" just doesn't have that same ring of dreary inevitability as "two people, one ham," does it?

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning