• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai 

what is the cheese w the purple-ish inclusions ?

this one [edited]:

thisone.jpg.1c7b40ebc6814e59934d6073855b5d2f.jpg

Well spotted, after a hard night I was a bit perplexed why they have Roquefort for breakfast and was straightened by the Governor that it is the Wensleydale & Cranberries.

https://somerdale.com/product/somerdale-wensleydale-cranberries/

It is a delightful cheese that we both like and enjoy when home in London. We also like the Apricots version. Both are great for breakfast and afternoon tea.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Nicolai I like the look of rambutan. Do you prefer them to lychee or ? I prefer both ice cold on a hot day.  Nice "breakfast" spread. 

Lychee has a deeper taste which I like. The Governor prefers the Rambutan and I oblige.

One of my preferred fruits is Mangosteen.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Lychee has a deeper taste which I like. The Governor prefers the Rambutan and I oblige.

One of my preferred fruits is Mangosteen.

One pick one's battles ;) Never had the pleasure of mangosteen. I like the description that it has a tart element. Sometimes the "exotics can be too one note sweet for me, Then again I live in Los Angeles where the street fruit cart vendors hand you a packet of chile/salt/citric acid or a lime wedge when you buy a cup. They also include cucumber.

An Ode to the Fruit Carts of Los Angeles | Fruit stands, Fruit, New fruit

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

DA473158-E71F-4866-A107-7C4E179D19C7.thumb.jpeg.25e72c0261fb22c0da39b2f42b8947de.jpeg

cabbage rolls. Why not?

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Jerusalem salad" as it came to be called in our house. Tomatoes, cucumbers, onion. Warm chickpeas and egg. Olive oil, lemon, parsley. Tahini sauce, sumac, zaatar. Crisp simit (or more often croutons).

PXL_20200903_183151194.jpg

PXL_20200903_183220903.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Tuesday:

IMG_3361.jpg.897c87dd06562fd83aea84cec345b4f5.jpg

Bacon on homemade white bread with a light smear of HP.

Wednesday was the 40th anniversary of our first date and Mr. Kim surprised me with a bagel buffet breakfast:

IMG_3373.thumb.jpg.edb2af365e60ecf461bfab3f99e10c65.jpg

Today:

IMG_3377.jpg.168d4520893aac9a65cc360fe3a7bfa9.jpg

Toast from the gigantic loaf of bread the bread machine makes and some pretty ordinary bacon. 

• Like 7

@blue_dolphin – those poached eggs are my poached egg goal!  They look perfectly cooked – nice, gooey yolks and completely cooked whites.  And it doesn’t look like you’ve lost much white to the poaching water!

Breakfast this morning was a freezer gift:

IMG_3390.jpg.81643775e066f2cbcf241d4bba922b5f.jpg

My MIL’s Hot Cross Buns.  The “cross” had become brittle and fallen off and the buns were too warm to pipe on a cross, so I just blobbed on some icing.  Hot Blob Buns?  These freeze so well.  It was like she brought them to us yesterday. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

In our little part of the world we don't have a Mcdonalds, and sometimes thats all that you want to fix the leftovers of the night before. 

So every now and then my husband arrives home in the early hours of the AM and hands his ever patient (ha!) Wife a pack of muffins and sausages... 🙄😂

20200912_090734.thumb.jpg.de76e4a10c7d24dfffcc30a7cd219f66.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

Scrapple that was seared in cast iron and finished cooking in CSO steam bake 350 degrees alongside the tomatoes.  Scrambled eggs.

7CA8E60D-2D27-404B-8600-D0C9EFF0069A.thumb.jpeg.8ce7488f7007bbf4d3c49674179f2201.jpeg

Haven't had the chance to try scrapple yet, but yours looks like something I'd try. Eggs & tomato look good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/12/2020 at 4:16 PM, shain said:

Vegetable salad - tomato, cucumber, onion, spring onion, chilies. Tahini, lime, fish sauce, peanuts, crisp peas, puffed rice, fried shallots. Eggs.

PXL_20200907_100927198.thumb.jpg.10433589dca4659bb31de2604a23eaf2.jpg

Shain, your breakfasts are amazing!! 

• Thanks 1

@weinoo – that lox breakfast looks perfect to me.  Exactly the right amount of lox on the bagel and the bread.  Whenever we went for breakfast with my mom, she would order lox and bagels and get them to put an extra bagel in a bag for her.  She’d take half of the lox and the extras off the bagel she was eating and put them on the bagel she was taking.  It gave her lunch, dinner, or a snack later.  She wasn’t cheap – they just put on too much for her taste! 

@chefmd – seeing as I grew up in NOVA and spent vacation times on the eastern shore – mostly MD and DE, it seems so odd that I’ve never tasted scrapple.  I’d like to, though.  Is it mushy inside when it is heated?  That’s what stopped me from enjoying Spam when I finally tasted it.  I actually liked the flavor and the crisp crust, but the insides were mushy and hot and that texture just put me off. 

@Ann_T – your cheese biscuits are absolutely, positively perfect and, as a fellow cook, I’m awash with admiration.  As a Southerner, I’m a tad jealous. 😁

On Friday, I tried out a new recipe - Coconut Sour-Cherry Granola:

IMG_3391.jpg.4fd663490912a5f96ccb29c09784acf3.jpg

This is supposedly the same granola that NYC restaurant Eleven Madison Park gives to customers at the end of their meal for breakfast the next morning:

IMG_3395.thumb.jpg.6fdda377048a6043150f7dce6c6b6634.jpg

Really good.  Not super sweet.  It contains sour cherries, pepitas, pistachios, coconut, maple syrup, and – interestingly – EVOO.  It made enough to share:

IMG_3393.jpg.a51eca3f367cbc971429b3fa1909880e.jpg

Mr. Kim’s brother is in town to visit their dad and stepmom and came by for a quick, masked, socially distant breakfast visit and to pick up the food that I’d make for them.  I served fruit salad:

IMG_3402.jpg.2dca9ba08689658c5831d4c3fe8d7c12.jpg

Strawberries, pineapple, grapes, mandarin oranges.  Scrambled eggs:

IMG_3405.jpg.b0ede5694164d33345802cfb079d67b7.jpg

Served right from the pan – family style!

Tomato Jam and Benton’s Bacon Bruschetta:

IMG_3404.jpg.78814a6d9d8bbb6f63a2f368ce4739a8.jpg

This is one of those easy, delicious things that I forget to make.    

Sunday before church (parking lot, masked, socially distant service):

IMG_3413.jpg.a10e1bc45b92b65d3a4a4fa0170b7792.jpg

Bread machine white bread, toasted, and leftover fruit salad. 

After church, Mr. Kim, Jessica, and I took a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Stopped on our way out of town at one of our favorite bagel joints for Hobbit’s breakfast.  Jessica had a salt bagel with scallion cream cheese (no picture).  I had an ET with bacon, egg, and cheese:

IMG_3417.jpg.a32554852d1617b137329b7c21e8e99f.jpg

Mr. Kim had something that I would have never thought to order and was absolutely fantastic – a chicken, egg, and cheese on a salt bagel:

IMG_3418.jpg.73ca2aa407fede36a4f24d84331b2eee.jpg

Only issue was that I wanted to go over to the deli up the street and get a biscuit to put that chicken on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo – that lox breakfast looks perfect to me.  Exactly the right amount of lox on the bagel and the bread.  Whenever we went for breakfast with my mom, she would order lox and bagels and get them to put an extra bagel in a bag for her.  She’d take half of the lox and the extras off the bagel she was eating and put them on the bagel she was taking.  It gave her lunch, dinner, or a snack later.  She wasn’t cheap – they just put on too much for her taste! 

It's the American sandwich dilemma. Putting too much stuff inside the bread, instead of focusing on good bread. Or a good bagel.

Don't forget, bagels were not (in the old days) meant to be eaten as sandwiches.  They were always eaten one horizontal half at a time, topped with a schmear and whatever else.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@chefmd – seeing as I grew up in NOVA and spent vacation times on the eastern shore – mostly MD and DE, it seems so odd that I’ve never tasted scrapple.  I’d like to, though.  Is it mushy inside when it is heated?  That’s what stopped me from enjoying Spam when I finally tasted it.  I actually liked the flavor and the crisp crust, but the insides were mushy and hot and that texture just put me off. 

I would describe inside of scrapple as custardy.  I suppose some may say that it is mushy.  I like it very much.  I think Aldi has the best price if you have one near by.  I freeze left over slices two per package for future use.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, MokaPot said:

Haven't had the chance to try scrapple yet, but yours looks like something I'd try. Eggs & tomato look good.

Have a Scrapple story if I can be excused for inserting it into an otherwise legitimate thread. 

Friends came from Delaware to the Annual Dog Weekend with 2 huge blocks of Scrapple for us all to try for the Saturday morning breakfast.  We are a very long-time and varied group from North America held together by our one-time ownership of Epileptic dogs going back into the 1990s and we meet every year with our current dogs in August and stay at the farm.  

Sheila cooked the Scrapple on her electric frying pan which she had brought along for that purpose and we all...dug...in...sort of....  OMG.  What awful stuff.  The dogs ate under the table very well that morning.  They loved it. 

I will never ever eat anything which is grey and square.

• Haha 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.