• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

2 hours ago, ambra said:

A "Bombolone" from a coffee bar/bakery in Siena. It's basically just a donut, filled with pastry cream. 

3604B290-8701-4890-AE50-E782F15BBFF9.JPG.55df3a4cde3629d523424663db7d07e5.JPG

This is something worth breaking a diet for.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Yesterday:

IMG_3299.thumb.jpg.d11bbf6939bbe7ce60bc7f68489cbb1b.jpg

Egg on toast and banana with honey and Grape-Nuts. 

Today was too many doughnuts.  We are taking care of this little girl for the next couple of days:

IMG_3325.jpg.ba4b5c0ef1d4936bc6f2f55bdf315eaa.jpg

and her mommies brought us a box of doughnuts from our favorite place.  No pictures.  We seem to have misplaced the doughnuts.  

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Yesterday:

IMG_3299.thumb.jpg.d11bbf6939bbe7ce60bc7f68489cbb1b.jpg

Today was too many doughnuts.  We are taking care of this little girl for the next couple of days:

IMG_3325.jpg.ba4b5c0ef1d4936bc6f2f55bdf315eaa.jpg

and her mommies brought us a box of doughnuts from our favorite place.  No pictures.  We seem to have misplaced the doughnuts.  

I dogsit....

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you for the Grape Nuts flashback. Have you used them as the crunch in other applications?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thank you for the Grape Nuts flashback. Have you used them as the crunch in other applications?

I have.  They are great on green salads and one time (many, many years ago) I even used them as a coating on oven "fried" chicken.  That was not a good idea.  Those things are crunchy enough with being baked for an additional 30 minutes😂.  But they are nice in quick breads, muffins, etc. I found that if you are going to apply heat, they need to be encased in something moist.  

• Like 2

I just restocked my Grape Nuts, I use them to add crunch to yogurt and when I make overnight oats/muesli I sometimes add some just before eating so I get a little crunch with the mush.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Menemen. With feta, chives (eggs loves chives, tomatoes with cheese loves chives, and chives loves them back).

Store bought mild-sourdough, rye with wheat. Not my first choice of bread for this dish, but that's what we had on hand.

PXL_20200828_185957897.jpg

PXL_20200828_190118262.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Local cantaloupe with some blackberries drizzled with some key lime yoghurt.

This was one of a local farms last of the season sweet petite fruits.  I let it sit out for a few days and the scent was intoxicating.  Finally cut it up for breakfast the last two days.

Getting chillier now - guess it's time for the oatmeal to come out.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Getting chillier now - guess it's time for the oatmeal to come out.

Oats02202020.png

I flocked groats for breakfast yesterday.  But then I do so about once a week.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Oats02202020.png

I flocked groats for breakfast yesterday.  But then I do so about once a week.

As the shepherd said to the sheep....."Let's get the flock out of here".

Sorry.....my grandfather's favorite line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@Ann_T – your Tourtiere has haunted me here and on FB.  Seriously one of the most delicious looking things I’ve ever seen.

This morning:

IMG_3333.jpg.d387715586cdf879e932536e58517d05.jpg

“Biscuit Muffins” and a ham, cheese, and egg scramble.  I found a bag of the muffins in the freezer and had no memory of making them.  I looked at my website and nothing.  Finally, I searched “muffins” on my Kitchen Journal and found that they were from a mix someone had given us for Xmas.  We didn’t really care for them, but they dramatically improved by being frozen🤔.  Turns out that they are sold at Publix.  I’ll look for them next time we go there. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, Ann_T said:
I baked the Tourtiere on Sunday and we had leftover Tourtiere
1036890163_TourtierewithfriesSeptember1st2020.thumb.jpg.ab73aa7ece306ed76a4bdd5adbc7e2fe.jpg
with homemade fries for a late breakfast on Tuesday.

Not a gravy or meat pie girl - but one year a nerdy Canadian across the street - engineer/patent developer took me through his steps knowing I was a food person. It. was. really good. Not something I would make but I appreciated the intro 

D13B5F23-15A1-4001-B996-5D947389C67A.thumb.jpeg.8b10f2e5ad9477e15caa9f5874de40a5.jpeg

Grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Burnt my mouth on that first bite. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So last night I was working on another sourdough (baking it often to try to improve it) and it was looking good, and in final proof, when I heard hair-raising screams outside and my youngest came through the front door yelling "dad come quick!"... So, daughter #2 fell off a little ledge, about 4 feet, into a big nasty patch of cactus, hitting it with sufficient force to drop her onto her bottom and then forward onto her arms... And of course in summer kids are never dressed appropriately to handle stuff like this.

I had to cut her clothes off and carry her back to the house, and it took 3 of us 2 hours to get the 'big' needles out. A long soak and ministrations from mom-meshugana and she's doing much better today, thankfully. Parts of her looked like she had fur they were so thick.

Needless to say, the sourdough proof was forgotten about, and it collapsed. But after the drama I rediscovered it and tossed it in the oven anyway, and it turned into a ridiculously good french toast in my wife's hands. She paired it with a spinach omelette, and blueberry syrup that the (formerly poky) daughter made a couple days ago.

7CAB37B6-F16A-439A-95C2-EC243F421FCE.thumb.jpeg.590ef5c9ee3158835dcc89a48ca8f8ca.jpeg

• Delicious 1
  • Sad 7

PastaMeshugana

16 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

So last night I was working on another sourdough (baking it often to try to improve it) and it was looking good, and in final proof, when I heard hair-raising screams outside and my youngest came through the front door yelling "dad come quick!"... So, daughter #2 fell off a little ledge, about 4 feet, into a big nasty patch of cactus, hitting it with sufficient force to drop her onto her bottom and then forward onto her arms... And of course in summer kids are never dressed appropriately to handle stuff like this.

I had to cut her clothes off and carry her back to the house, and it took 3 of us 2 hours to get the 'big' needles out. A long soak and ministrations from mom-meshugana and she's doing much better today, thankfully. Parts of her looked like she had fur they were so thick.

Needless to say, the sourdough proof was forgotten about, and it collapsed. But after the drama I rediscovered it and tossed it in the oven anyway, and it turned into a ridiculously good french toast in my wife's hands. She paired it with a spinach omelette, and blueberry syrup that the (formerly poky) daughter made a couple days ago.

7CAB37B6-F16A-439A-95C2-EC243F421FCE.thumb.jpeg.590ef5c9ee3158835dcc89a48ca8f8ca.jpeg

Oh, NO!!!!  I am so sorry that happened to your daughter.  What a trooper to have to endure all of that.  If it helps at all please tell her how sorry I am (or not if it would embarrass her to know others know about it) and that I think she's had to be very brave and I admire her!

• Like 1

@pastameshugana Good save on your wife's watch with the French Toast. What we do as cooks (and parents) - adapt! My sister at age 4 did that in Yugoslavia (Tito time) - She has completely blocked it from her memory now at age 56. All relatives present, doctorates and engineering degrees up the wazoo but no medical peeps. Never a dull moment.

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Never a dull moment

If that doesn't describe parenting then I don't know what does.

I always tell people "Who needs TV when you've got kids?"

• Haha 2

PastaMeshugana

Lord. I remember those days. After having had two of the three in ER getting stitches within a week's time, I told the remaining one, "Can you please go to bed and just stay there?"

Glad you salvaged both the kid and the bread.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Another Piggies breakfast.....

- Fresh cut Fruits

1PVMa1l.jpg

- Cheese Plate

j291dWy.jpg

- TWG English Breakfast Tea

ChXdRNA.jpg

- Labneh and Feta Cheese

9C91Mcr.jpg

- Foul and condiment

LE44JVF.jpg

- Eggs Benedict

fmq2iIv.jpg

Off picture: OJ - Croissants et Pain au Chocolat- Jam - Butter - Flat Arabic bread and EVOO.

and then a bit of pool and beach....... it's hard work over weekends......

B6vSoE5.jpg

• Like 8