• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Piggies Breakfast....... for Lazy Sunday.....

- Fresh cut fruits

Zj7EveA.jpg

- Foul  Mudamas (Fava Beabs) EVOO - Onions - Parsley - Tomatoes - Cucumbers and Dried Labenh Balls plain and Zaatar - Arabic flat bread

cc1iFFe.jpg

- Eggs Benedict with extra Piggies Bacon

TJVDo7U.jpg

- To sweeten things up, Croissant et Pain au Chocolat

HIySvdR.jpg

- And to finish, a very strong and sweet Yemen Arabica Mocha coffee

zwRy9xA.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Very odd.  I was sure that I posted this earlier today.  I even remember remarking to @blue_dolphin that Pt. Reyes is one of our favorite bleu cheeses and how lovely her figs were.  Oh, well.  Senior moments coming fast lately.  

This morning:

IMG_3227.jpg.c8d4657791475459882de23d86578ced.jpg

Grocery store croissants and gorgeous VA white peaches from our newly found produce stand. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
My idea of breakfast. Scones and a cappuccino.

196847537_RedCurrantSconesAugust25th2020.thumb.jpg.5e5556eea2cae8778b146ecee43f7540.jpg
I love red currant scones.
I can't always find fresh red or black currants. Found some red at the Farmer's Market last week and bought some to freeze.

My parents grew both, as my dad was fond of them. I just used the last of theirs from my freezer (three years old, but well wrapped and still good) over the past winter.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I don't usually post on this thread because we don't normally eat breakfast, but I have been wanting to make these for a while so we made some today.  Pikelets, with sausages.   The maple syrup is  courtesy of our neighbour.  Her nephew tapped the maple trees at her cottage and boiled down the sap over a wood fire, the old fashioned way.  It is superb.

20200826_125432.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 7

21 hours ago, Ann_T said:
My idea of breakfast. Scones and a cappuccino.

196847537_RedCurrantSconesAugust25th2020.thumb.jpg.5e5556eea2cae8778b146ecee43f7540.jpg
I love red currant scones.
I can't always find fresh red or black currants. Found some red at the Farmer's Market last week and bought some to freeze.

An absolutely beautiful scone! What recipe do you use?

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

35 minutes ago, shain said:

Silken tofu with brown sugar and ginger syrup.

Thanks for the reminder. My local big Asian market (99 Ranch) sells beautiful fresh silken with the ginger syrup in a side container. Light & lovely.

• Like 1

@spaghetttti - So nice to see you!  That French bread looks perfect.  Will you share how it's done?

@ElsieD – I love pikelets.  I saw them for the first time in February (I think) when @Captain made them.  They are now one of our favorites.  Yours are much nicer than mine – mine come out a bit too dark. 

Breakfast yesterday.  I was feeling a little off (fine today) and this is one of my lifelong I-don’t-feel-good breakfasts:

IMG_3259.jpg.6d801ab75062635342bd1f011c83bda9.jpg

Really good tomatoes on toasted white bread (the only kind of sandwich bread that will be in the house during tomato season) and Duke’s. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

@ElsieD – I love pikelets.  I saw them for the first time in February (I think) when @Captain made them.  They are now one of our favorites.  Yours are much nicer than mine – mine come out a bit too dark. 

Mine are likely different from his.  In looking at various recipes, a lot of which were Australian, I saw that most use baking powder.  Mine were made using yeast.  You mix flour, active dry yeast, a teeny bit of sugar, salt and warmed milk together.  Let sit for a couple of hours until nice and bubbly then fry on medium heat.  They cook at a lower heat than say, pancakes, so they take a bit longer.  But, they are a snap to make.  Apparently you can heat leftovers in a toaster but we didn't have any left.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 5:19 AM, pastameshugana said:

An absolutely beautiful scone! What recipe do you use?

@pastameshugana,  you can find the recipe on my blog here:

https://thibeaultstable.wordpress.com/2015/07/14/raspberry-scones/

1153864554_SourdoughYeastbakeAugust26th20203.thumb.jpg.d780ea475c7e15053b38803921a7b011.jpg

Moe had a bowl of local blueberries and yogurt early and later requested

a piece of toast. I offered to make eggs, but he just wanted toast.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

@chefmd – nice looking breakfast.  I love the crust you got on your potatoes!  As far as the corned beef goes – did you buy already corned beef in the packet and sous vide it as is, or did you “corn” it yourself?

@Ann_T – I, too, would want only toast if I had access to bread like that!

This morning:

IMG_3271.thumb.jpg.5fc6d302113149d8f1466b1887e16efc.jpg

The last of the figs.  I’ll have to see if anyone has any tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@ElsieD and @shain - between the two of you, I believe I’ve been convinced to make pancakes sometime this week!

Honestly, I feel like giving up on soft boiled eggs.  I’ve tried pretty much every method and thought I’d found the answer with the IP.  I’ve had multiple successes making them at Low Pressure for 4 minutes, ice water soak for 30 seconds, cold water rinse for 5 seconds, then a 3-minute ice water soak.  As I said when I wrote up the recipe, I don’t know if this whole dance is necessary, but since it was working so well, I did it.  This time was a disaster:

IMG_3277.thumb.jpg.0e075e8375f24a0dafb8570b7b8e0866.jpg

So MUCH snot. Ick🤢. They were also impossible to peel. I ended up cracking them open into a pan, scraping them out with a spoon and cooking them in some butter:

IMG_3278.jpg.ad166773a5150bc70ff8ceba4ff5891b.jpg

Very, very disappointing.  I'll try this again at 5 minutes, I guess.  Served with sausage links, hash brown patties, and milky bread toasted. 

• Like 2

@Shelby  

has ( had ? ) a reproducible IP low pressure Rx for soft boiled eggs

from the refrigerator ,

Ive used it in the past .   but Ive lost my Red engineered lined notebook

so cant recall the times.    I used to do 1 - 1.5 doz a time , then chill in cold tap water 

until @ tab water temp  then re-refrigerate.   Id return w hot tap water  while making coffee  

etc and etc , and always came out fine.    the re-therm  was my idea of course.

I even re-thermed in hot tap water in the micro for 30 seconds , the eggs being completely submerged.

on the next really slow day , ill have to re-read  the entire IP and CSO threads

and take some notes from my own work.

there are a lot of really slow days , these days.

I expect more to come until Vaccination day shows up on the calendar

too bad Bezos and Musk  are so keen on their " equipment '

and want to go to the Moon.

a subscribe-and-save  vaccination program would do a lot more good for

the world that that nonsense 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby  

has ( had ? ) a reproducible IP low pressure Rx for soft boiled eggs

from the refrigerator ,

Ive used it in the past .   but Ive lost my Red engineered lined notebook

so cant recall the times.    I used to do 1 - 1.5 doz a time , then chill in cold tap water 

until @ tab water temp  then re-refrigerate.   Id return w hot tap water  while making coffee  

etc and etc , and always came out fine.    the re-therm  was my idea of course.

I even re-thermed in hot tap water in the micro for 30 seconds , the eggs being completely submerged.

on the next really slow day , ill have to re-read  the entire IP and CSO threads

and take some notes from my own work.

there are a lot of really slow days , these days.

I expect more to come until Vaccination day shows up on the calendar

too bad Bezos and Musk  are so keen on their " equipment '

and want to go to the Moon.

a subscribe-and-save  vaccination program would do a lot more good for

the world that that nonsense 

Thank you.  Weird thing - I checked with @Shelby and it turns out that her recipe (the one that you referenced) and mine are the same recipe.  Sigh.  

• Sad 1