• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Last week I stopped at the market in Dunnville on my way to work - and one of the things I got was tomato the size of a side plate.

All week I've been dreaming of bacon, cheese and tomato sandwiches. 

Yesterday I went to my neighbors place to do to the last of the dressings on a wound from a fall a couple of weeks back and she gave me a loaf of cheese bread from a franchise called Cobbs. Found some bacon slices vacuum sealed in the freezer that I had made a few years back. So toasted cheese bread, miracle whip, some old orange cheddar, crispy bacon, huge slab of tomato, a bit more miracle whip - and Bob's your mother's brother.  

IMG_1844.thumb.jpeg.7c200745a42ca6594752aac281090a34.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 6

I don't usually do breakfast.  (If you can call it that at 5:00 pm.)  But it is cold and gray today, so I milled groats and had oatmeal to warm me up.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@blue_dolphin – I believe that I may have lost consciousness a bit looking at those gorgeous plums and pancakes.  Just lovely.

@shain – that Kubaneh bread is incredible looking and sounds so interesting.

Friday was Mr. Kim’s birthday and he took the day off.  He requested Bobby Flay’s Cheddar-Black Pepper Waffles with Sausage & Apples and Maple/Apple Cider Vinegar Agrodolce for his birthday breakfast.  Waffles:

IMG_3131.jpg.6763ba221333919a3a95761d67fcb139.jpg

The apples and onions:
IMG_3127.thumb.jpg.97204d2a7a1997c0ad8e731f0a0ade14.jpg

And the sausage:

IMG_3128.jpg.694c048eaf1d76ba9ad5630d97dd624a.jpg

Which looks exactly like dog kibble😄.

All together:

IMG_3130.thumb.jpg.b59704997ba98bd64fe065c47ce98cee.jpg

The dressed waffle - drizzled with the maple/apple cider vinegar agrodolce:

IMG_3132.jpg.cce4c846191cabe3b0ac6bc13d26852c.jpg

He loved this.  I am not much on apples and onions together, but the waffle with the agrodolce was good. 

His staff had doughnuts from a Rise Biscuits in our area sent to the house for his BD:

IMG_3134.jpg.839a3493ee11bbfa76627ef0320d0444.jpg

Raspberry jelly filled, cookies and cream, classic glazed, chocolate iced, maple bacon, crème brûlée.  I taste a bit of each one and they were very good.  Here’s the

crème brûlée:

IMG_3135.jpg.178517ff708fd0a9ddf12312dec77b9c.jpg

It was rather lovely. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Friday was Mr. Kim’s birthday and he took the day off.  He requested Bobby Flay’s Cheddar-Black Pepper Waffles with Sausage & Apples and Maple/Apple Cider Vinegar Agrodolce for his birthday breakfast.

Oh my, that meal would keep me happy all day long!

Zucchini, ricotta & pecorino fritters from Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach:

IMG_2898.thumb.jpeg.ee51b5c33415fd5cc857e752633ad7dc.jpeg

Sour cream and salmon roe on the side.  These were lovely, light fritters.  I failed to stop at the three on my plate and ate several more than I should have!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Oh my, that meal would keep me happy all day long!

Zucchini, ricotta & pecorino fritters from Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach:

IMG_2898.thumb.jpeg.ee51b5c33415fd5cc857e752633ad7dc.jpeg

Sour cream and salmon roe on the side.  These were lovely, light fritters.  I failed to stop at the three on my plate and ate several more than I should have!

I would love to have this recipe.  The zucchini inundation hasn't yet begun, but I know it will and fritters are the only way we can bear it.  

This morning:

IMG_3181.thumb.jpg.872ceb18a3bb35aa5d8c34dd8d05e3bf.jpg

Store-bought ciabatta and scrambled eggs. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I would love to have this recipe.  The zucchini inundation hasn't yet begun, but I know it will and fritters are the only way we can bear it.  

As mentioned, it's in Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach. This recipe, credited to Mario Batali is remarkably similar although Diana adds 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino Romano cheese.

She calls for a little more zucchini, 18 oz instead of 14 and ricotta, 6 oz instead of 1/2 cup.  She specifies that the ricotta be drained in a cheesecloth-lined sieve for a couple of hours and that the coarsely grated zucchini be be wrapped in cheesecloth and squeezed to get rid of as much moisture as possible.

She also says to use 1/2" of oil for cooking instead of 1/4".  I followed her direction but 1/4" would have been fine.  

Otherwise, it's basically the same recipe. 

They were quite good!

• Thanks 1

@Ann_T I am still so envious of your bread, looks amazing.

Over in the dinner thread I smoked another pork butt and made my first attempt at rolls tasted so good.

I don't normally eat breakfast unless there are compelling leftovers: Heated some of the pulled pork and toasted the roll in the grease, then fried an egg and topped with Tapatio. I had to eat in the kitchen it was so messy, and I would pay money for this sandwich any day.

416977375_1(1).thumb.jpeg.f6e69fde37c91702b49e2d30b77154df.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.cfe5724ffb921436bd7b36ab72ff83b1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

3 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

@Ann_T I am still so envious of your bread, looks amazing.

Over in the dinner thread I smoked another pork butt and made my first attempt at rolls tasted so good.

I don't normally eat breakfast unless there are compelling leftovers: Heated some of the pulled pork and toasted the roll in the grease, then fried an egg and topped with Tapatio. I had to eat in the kitchen it was so messy, and I would pay money for this sandwich any day.

My kind of breakfast. I think nostalgia is a symptom of the times. I sent @Fat Guy Steven a bottle of Tapatio once as it "represents" my area.  Sent him See's candy too ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

My kind of breakfast. I think nostalgia is a symptom of the times. I sent @Fat Guy Steven a bottle of Tapatio once as it "represents" my area.  Sent him See's candy too ;)

It's amazing how profoundly nostalgic food can be. And ah @Fat Guy... I discovered eGullet because of "Turning the Tables". I read it while living in India with our three oldest kids.

I still remember his posts, and for some reason the one that often comes to mind is when he was exploring 'composed salads' and PJ's response to them.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

58 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

It's amazing how profoundly nostalgic food can be. And ah @Fat Guy... I discovered eGullet because of "Turning the Tables". I read it while living in India with our three oldest kids.

I still remember his posts, and for some reason the one that often comes to mind is when he was exploring 'composed salads' and PJ's response to them.

My entry point was a Los Angeles Times article about eG. I remember PJs bento box lunches - I think his pre-school kept Kosher so a challenge. 

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Crusty baguette slices smeared with pesto, tomatoes, feta. 

IMG_2903.thumb.jpeg.0eaf00e23987988d40a5281de1c7a7aa.jpeg

Edited to add that a hard boiled egg would have been a nice addition to the plate.  Next time!

Pesto looks really concentrated (green) and fresh-looking. Looks delicious.

Edited by MokaPot
Change Pest to Pesto (log)
  • Delicious 1

21 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Pesto looks really concentrated (green) and fresh-looking. Looks delicious.

Thanks!  Kenter Canyon Farms was giving away beautiful big bunches of basil earlier this year.  Much of it usually goes to their restaurant clients.  Eventually, they decided it was costing them too much to give it away and plowed under a whole acre of basil 😢

Island banana bread from Jubilee 

IMG_2904.thumb.jpeg.e280e189001c01993ff4431e23e41312.jpeg

Fresh peach and a little Silver Goat chèvre 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

@pastameshugana – that sandwich looks like an eat-over-the-sink version.  And then you get to wipe up any yolky goodness with the end of the bun!  Lovely!

@blue_dolphin – I am in need of a reminder that goat cheese goes equally well with sweet and savory things.  What a gorgeous breakfast that peach/chèvre/banana bread is.  And I like the look of your tuna salad bahn mi.  I wish I could find such beautiful bread.  What are the vegetables in your sandwich – cucumber, carrot, and…?

“How I found eGullet” is such an interesting topic that I’m sure there is a thread somewhere with that topic.  If anyone knows, I’d love a link to it.  As for me, my memory is that I followed Steven and Jason over from Chowhound.  It was obvious to me that this was where the cool kids were going to be.  Characteristically I think I lurked for at least a year before joining.

I built myself a nice breakfast sandwich this morning.  Foundation:

IMG_3203.jpg.002aad51b177a9c45ca01efa872c37e5.jpg

Warmed up Off the Bone ham:

IMG_3204.jpg.38ec03bb1655d81b50cf2177221314df.jpg

A nice, tidy round egg:

IMG_3205.jpg.f908f79ec24e498e1ce29398b9e9ee11.jpg

Served with a hash brown patty.  And, as you can see from what happened when the top of the English muffin was smushed down, that egg was PERFECTLY cooked:

IMG_3206.jpg.c6fe101e8e0c09e5ac5137511ec75659.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

And I like the look of your tuna salad bahn mi.  I wish I could find such beautiful bread.  What are the vegetables in your sandwich – cucumber, carrot, and…?

Veggies were quick pickled daikon & carrot, fresh sliced cucumber & jalapeño and a nice big pile-o-cilantro. The bread was a baguette from Whole Foods. Chewier than appropriate for banh mi.  I want to work on the banh mi rolls from Andrea Nguyen's recipe but we keep getting warnings to minimize electric usage so I haven't wanted to turn on the oven and heat up the house and require more AC...🙃

Love your ham & egg muffin, too! 

Figs, walnuts, Pt. Reyes blue, crusty bread. 

IMG_2913.thumb.jpeg.f2231f41ecefd6c3f3080522cf4f637e.jpeg

I bought the lovely green figs at the farmers market with the intent of following @teonzo's recommendations for fig & saffron popsicles.  I couldn't bring myself to cook and strain them per that recipe.  I'll have to get more next week!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2