• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Braunschweiger and Mayo on Toast

So jealous!  I put Braunschweiger in my on-line cart   and was quite bummed when it was out of stock. I put liverwurst as an approved alternate - also out of stock. 

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Love the bug plate - I have to admit that it gave me a start 🐜!

Ha! The first time @robirdstx   showed the plate all I could envision was "oh she is eating out by the pool and had uninvited guests.

BEA1D889-8179-4CA3-BD2C-3E04CC7C010D.thumb.jpeg.a866b781f56aa37faeed8d72c1a843c9.jpeg

Sous-vide pork tenderloin on toast. I would not normally sous vide pork tenderloin since it’s already very tender but my daughter had heard my plea for  some pork and  picked up both a tenderloin and a loin.  Seemed convenient and reasonable to put them both in at the same time. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

w the Advent of SV , i love pink ( or very pink ) pork 

how was the Loin re tenderness ?

consider dropping the temp next time to 130.1 f

[ed.:  N O T B :  54.5 ]  

the meat will be easier to slice very thin when chilled 

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

w the Advent of SV , i love pink ( or very pink ) pork 

how was the Loin re tenderness ?

consider dropping the temp next time to 130.1 f

[ed.:  N O T B :  54.5 ]  

the meat will be easier to slice very thin when chilled 

Have not yet got around to trying the loin. I find for my own tastes 58°C works great. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin – loved reading about Fettuccine Alfredo vs Pasta all'Alfredo.  I realized after seeing the video that while I may not have eaten much Fettuccini Alfredo in the past (see dinner thread), I have been eating Pasta all’Alfredo all my life.  In my family, Pasta all’Alfredo is what you give to babies who aren’t ready for tomato sauce yet and to sick people and to yourself when you need a little comforting.  It’s funny to sometimes find very Italian things still happening in my extremely assimilated Washington DC via Mississippi Delta via Genoa Italy family.  Like the fact that they ALL put cabbage, white beans, and pasta in their "vegetable" soup. 

@Ann_T - gorgeous blueberries.  We love picking them in the summer and stocking the freezer with local ones.  On the Great British Baking Show whenever someone tries to bake with blueberries, one of the judges always says, “Blueberries don’t really have any flavor, do they?”.  Lead me to wonder where in the world they are sourcing tasteless blueberries! 😄

My breakfasts are all looking same-same, I know.  But the truth is that I am just not adventurous by nature and especially not in the morning.  If I eat at all, I want crunchy, buttery bread, eggs, and pork.  Potatoes if they are very easy or if someone else is making them.  Yesterday:

IMG_3097.thumb.jpg.0aa60aeff71a17208ad9c80f61cb4cfe.jpg

English muffins, NC sausage, IP eggs.

Today:

IMG_3111.thumb.jpg.1e225901fc8393f0eb390698d1b40a73.jpg

IP eggs, crumpets, and some of a ham slice that was languishing in the deli drawer.

• Like 5

I love the looks of those crumpets, @Kim Shook. Did you make them? It may be about time for me to do that again.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

82134E08-15C5-4C4C-9683-AA45BEEA2FBE.thumb.jpeg.dbff1d58e71a46c3b08b03ad3e06c5f0.jpeg

Had some eggs that were getting a little long in the tooth (what is this about “scarce as hens teeth”?) but really did not want to waste them. But I also  wanted eggs on toast. So they were boiled for five minutes, scooped into a bowl, seasoned and then spooned onto toast. Quite satisfactory.

Edited by Anna N
Just a little punctuation. (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Moe's breakfast.

1724156164_HamCheddarandChiveOmeletteAugust14th2020.thumb.jpg.c9bd8648985aa71ffcb94edfbff69d03.jpg

Ham, Cheddar and Chive Omelette.

Your bread always looks so incredible and tasty. What is this one? The crust looks amazing!

I'm a bit of a neophyte, but I baked bread last night over in the dinner thread, and as I don't usually eat much for breakfast, just a slice (or three) toasted in butter this morning...

9C0FFEB8-74AF-4A53-A56A-3568431BB2FD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b41f64383f474879b83375cc271a45e8.jpeg

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Ricotta Pancakes with Gooseberry Relish from Ottolenghi's Plenty More

1C010550-9629-47B0-8E4C-2BEC91D97FD4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a9cb748e9c8f937f358b26a916cd1e89.jpeg

I'm sure that this relish is to be made with proper gooseberries, not the cape gooseberry/ground cherry/goldenberry that I used but I had these in hand so I ran with it.
The header notes caution that these are not light, fluffy pancakes but more eggy and cheesy and describes them like as a cross between cheesecake and clafoutis.  Their flavor is quite mild, I think I'd like some lemon or orange zest added to the batter but the mildness made for a nice contrast to the relish, almost a jam, which has a tart, bright flavor.  I subbed yogurt for the crème fraîche the recipe calls for.

Also,  those are slices of satsuma plum on the plate - not beets! 

B41C0A6E-C8CE-4CBD-BA5B-CA1FC7D2B61E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b8807d903d9212ab472e6d933f6c7fbb.jpeg

Both the satsumas and the leftover gooseberry relish will be making an appearance in popsicles sometime soon!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Ricotta Pancakes with Gooseberry Relish from Ottolenghi's Plenty More

I'm sure that this relish is to be made with proper gooseberries, not the cape gooseberry/ground cherry/goldenberry that I used but I had these in hand so I ran with it.
The header notes caution that these are not light, fluffy pancakes but more eggy and cheesy and describes them like as a cross between cheesecake and clafoutis.  Their flavor is quite mild, I think I'd like some lemon or orange zest added to the batter but the mildness made for a nice contrast to the relish, almost a jam, which has a tart, bright flavor.  I subbed yogurt for the crème fraîche the recipe calls for.

Also,  those are slices of satsuma plum on the plate - not beets! 

Both the satsumas and the leftover gooseberry relish will be making an appearance in popsicles sometime soon!

I did see them as plums, and very nice looking ones.  Though not a pancake person unless they envelop a savory mix, I did see that in the book. My mind went to goat milk something as the dairy. Or coconut.  Ya got me thinking.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

I did see them as plums, and very nice looking ones.  Though not a pancake person unless they envelop a savory mix, I did see that in the book. My mind went to goat milk something as the dairy. Or coconut.  Ya got me thinking.

Yeah, if I were to try this again, I’d go the savory route - add Gorgonzola, goat cheese or Parm to the ricotta, maybe a hint of garlic or some green onions.  Diana Henry has a version with zucchini that I’d consider trying. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yeah, if I were to try this again, I’d go the savory route - add Gorgonzola, goat cheese or Parm to the ricotta, maybe a hint of garlic or some green onions.  Diana Henry has a version with zucchini that I’d consider trying. 

I'm making a savory clafoutis with chevre, zucchini and roasted tomatoes for dinner. I'll probably add mixed herbs, garlic and parmesan.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My friends made a bakery run this AM.

In addition to the baguette I requested, they brought me this:

IMG_2885.thumb.jpeg.1f6a979bf27ebb96fddd4aef0314ed3b.jpeg

I cut it, imagining for a moment that I'd only eat half...🤣🤣🤣

Certainly a foolish bit of self-deception...

• Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Brunch.

A friend made us a Kubaneh bread. It's a rich "pull apart" bread of Yemenite Jewish origin which is baked overnight. It's very pretty and delicious, she is very talented.

Flavored with butter, slowly caramelized sugar and fenugreek, it has a delightful savory-sweet aroma of butterscotch and brioche.

Served with haminados eggs, raw tomato sauce, home made zchug, cheese, veggies and pickles, ouzo.

I also made Yemmani style split pea soup, flavored with celery, onion, chili, garlic, hawaij, dried mint and a few more spices. Served with strained buttermilk.

Also had some Kubaneh with honey and salt.

IMG_20200808_144219_1.thumb.jpg.ef60b1ab4f4b8d2d5637ff6b7f13f60e.jpgIMG_20200808_144615.thumb.jpg.dcf757c8fb014b083ba1198782abb6d3.jpgIMG_20200808_144753.thumb.jpg.7cfb1d5e601a9ed1178d7302438bfb85.jpg

Recipe for my version of Kubaneh here:

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.