• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

I  wanted shrimp & grits.  Got the shrimp out to thaw but forgot to start the grits so I pivoted to this.  Louisiana BBQ Shrimp, crusty bread, corn 

IMG_2840.thumb.jpeg.e1873df7edd1397877d586145ac32d94.jpeg

Edited again to add that peeling shrimp at the table, particularly the breakfast table,  is not my jam.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
Forgot photo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I  wanted shrimp & grits.  Got the shrimp out to thaw but forgot to start the grits so I pivoted to this.  Louisiana BBQ Shrimp, crusty bread, corn 

Edited again to add that peeling shrimp at the table, particularly the breakfast table,  is not my jam.  

Oh there is a phrase  "to eat neatly is not to eat well at all" Your shrimp is quite appealing. Not a GRITS girl

• Like 1

@shain – your breakfast on Wednesday was just beautiful.  I am not a oatmeal fan, but I would eat that just to get those amazing fruits and nuts.

@robirdstx – seeing your BOLT sent me off to Costco with “regular bacon” on my list.  As much as I love my special Benton’s bacon, it just doesn’t work for me for BLTs.  The texture is too heavy and the smoke overwhelms everything else. 

@Anna N – those are some amazingly fresh looking bean sprouts in your chop suey!

@blue_dolphin – I would have a seriously hard time choosing between shrimp & grits and BBQ shrimp.  Two of my very favorite shrimp dishes. 

On Thursday, I had to get some blood drawn in the morning and picked up breakfast from our favorite bagel place:

IMG_3005.jpg.9929afc925711ba4f5937dbf042bcac7.jpg

ET with cream cheese and bacon. 

I was not feeling great on Friday afternoon and all night.  Mr. Kim pampered me on Saturday by bringing me breakfast on couch (😊😞

IMG_3007.thumb.jpg.fb411b779af4034a2debf2fedb6bd23a.jpg

Gently fried egg and Edward’s country ham.  It ended up pretty much being my food for the day.

This morning:

IMG_3019.thumb.jpg.48c6546203b3d962d3353ebfeb476dc8.jpg

Some lovely pears we’ve been getting and toasted and buttered leftover dinner rolls. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

1572276844_SoftBoiledEggswithToastFingersAugust5th2020.thumb.jpg.8e9da23fd52fd4b881d3c67cb4dbd0d5.jpg

Moe's breakfast. Steamed for 4 minutes. 

That is the most elegant soft boiled egg I have ever seen.    At least I think that's what it is.    Even if it's not, I'm going to serve our next ones that way.   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

14 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That is the most elegant soft boiled egg I have ever seen.    At least I think that's what it is.    Even if it's not, I'm going to serve our next ones that way.   

Thanks @Margaret Pilgrim, and yes you are right. Soft boiled (although I steam them rather than "boil" them.  Moe likes them at  3 to 4 minutes depending on the size of the egg.

• Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – glad to see you got your shrimp and grits.  Those are some serious grits.  They look outstanding!

@CantCookStillTry – are square crumpets a thing in Australia?  I can only get them at one grocery chain that I know of and they are always round.  Even with the vegemite, they look so good that I just went and added them to my grocery list. 😄

This morning:

IMG_3026.jpg.3d9ba5b47be230c8708a42ea343eb73e.jpg

Fried egg on a heavily buttered English muffin. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook Crumpets are available everywhere and I've seen the square ones in most retailers. I have tried to make them myself ... and to be honest, my lazy ass prefers shop bought! 

I never ate a crumpet until I was 14, they were "weird" - then the boss at my first ever job made me some for brunch and I was too scared to say no. They were burnt to a crisp - I eat mine burnt and soaked in butter to this day 😄.  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 2:58 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

I am not sure I am feeling square crumpets. Seems wrong. Shop bought obviously. Smothered in Vegemite for the kid - Also wrong.

Honestly, the Vegemite bothers me more than the squareness of the crumpets. I bear it no ill will but don't have a taste for it as a breakfast spread. 

That said, I'm sure many more might take exception to my choice of breakfast spread today - pesto!

IMG_2843.thumb.jpeg.02acb989e0d3f156848f4d932518433b.jpeg

Pasta with pesto and broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, carrots, red bell pepper and feta

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Honestly, the Vegemite bothers me more than the squareness of the crumpets. I bear it no ill will but don't have a taste for it as a breakfast spread. 

That said, I'm sure many more might take exception to my choice of breakfast spread today - pesto!

Pasta with pesto and broccoli, zucchini, sugar snap peas, carrots, red bell pepper and feta

Ha! I find vegemite more an umami boost like mushrooms on toast. Your pesto, veggie, pasta breakfast reminds me of my mother who preferred leftovers for breakfast though she had quite a sweet tooth' more for the midmorning or afternoon coffee break. 

• Like 1

the most important point about Vegemite is that it is made from the sediment left from the brewing of beer.

So it is connected to beer.

That alone makes it good!

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

710626991_Frittata08-07IMG_1824.jpeg.4071b50faebcddd8535da34812378957.jpeg

53153245_Frittata08-06.jpeg.4d150e677684369efdafec2f52b481a3.jpeg

Top and bottom of a frittata made with 2 varieties of leftover pasta; one was pesto and potatoes, the other tomatoes and basil.

This is a preferred method (for me) of frittata, as opposed to my sometimes thicker, custardier one.

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@blue_dolphin – I would love that pizza combination for any meal, any time!

@liuzhou - thank you for that gorgeous egg!  What a color!

@Shelby – that reminds me – I need to add hash brown patties to my shopping list.

I’m satisfying my crumpet cravings these last couple of days – yesterday:

IMG_3065.jpg.7ac7f4756aa208d716ee7ea16f73ecec.jpg

Buttery, buttery crumpets and IP eggs.

This morning was my international breakfast:

IMG_3080.thumb.jpg.169642e8b31034cf2147c260a3cf0f28.jpg

NC sausage and British crumpets. 😄

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I made some lemon pepper pasta dough the other day and it was resting in the fridge.  Last night, I happened to watch this on YouTube:

so I had to try Eva's recipe for Pasta all'Alfredo that appears below the video if you follow this link to watch on YouTube.  

Basically just fresh pasta tossed with butter and Parmigiano Reggiano. Eva described it as something one would eat if you were sick, not entirely appealing but their reactions sold me anyway so I cooked up a portion this morning. 

My portion of lemon pepper fettuccine, before:

9D1596B7-0E26-44D4-8B3F-97A9BC35761F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b2b2e2ef6a7cbbc38a30f8446dc9b7df.jpeg

And after:

873438EC-B5D0-4B95-B40C-F6C7B5EC35F2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.067116d6827e4979ac5725e6643352fd.jpeg

So good.  I can't tell you how close I came to cooking up another portion.  I am equally proud and saddened by my restraint. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1