• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Omelette flavored with toasted sesame and cumin, garlic, chili, sesame oil, dark soy sauce, spring onions, a touch of MSG. Served with rice.

Really good.

IMG_20200720_221927.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Improved NYC classic breakfast (that would be the egg sandwich on a Kaiser roll)...

1080530056_Jamboncomteeggsandwich07-23.jpeg.c619b03508ebb04e3cbe3b7cc066693a.jpeg

Jambon de Bayonne, 30-month aged comté, farm egg, Vermont butter company butter on a toasted baguette.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Over night muesli. Perfect for such a boiling hot day.

IMG_20200723_131622.thumb.jpg.80d91ad7a2dc33b705ad5f1a9a2430b7.jpg

Toasted oats, yogurt, grated apple, a little cinnamon, hint of cocoa and a couple drops of almond extract. Fresh fruits and toasted nuts.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

@shain, the figs are killing me!

On 7/28/2020 at 8:50 AM, weinoo said:

Improved NYC classic breakfast (that would be the egg sandwich on a Kaiser roll)...

Jambon de Bayonne, 30-month aged comté, farm egg, Vermont butter company butter on a toasted baguette.

"Improved" is an understatement! 

I set out to make rolls for a banh mi breakfast sandwich.  Shortly after they went into the oven, I got hangry and needed to eat RIGHT AWAY.

A quick PB&B on toast

IMG_2806.thumb.jpeg.287889636577aa997b842df89e41076d.jpeg

Guess that sandwich will have to wait for lunch....or maybe second breakfast?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Guess that sandwich will have to wait for lunch....or maybe second breakfast?

My favorite throwaway gag in Disney/Pixar's recent Onward was the fast-food place visible in the background of one scene, with a sign that read "Now serving second breakfast."

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

My favorite throwaway gag in Disney/Pixar's recent Onward was the fast-food place visible in the background of one scene, with a sign that read "Now serving second breakfast."

In German we call that Jause or Zwischenmahlzeit (between meals) - the field workers second breakfast round 9"30 or 10 usually back in the day With something like @Chris Hennes Land Brot and a salty cured meat product (reminds one to hydrate) https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155794-baking-with-myhrvolds-modernist-bread-the-art-and-science/?do=findComment&comment=2257419

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

shain, the figs are killing me!

They are a delight. Season is just starting.

We get to kinds: the bigger, juicy and sweet commercial ones; and the old-timey "baladi" that is grown in fields and gardens (spread by birds), which is small, pale, has a great bite to it, and is mildly sweet, with a honey like syrup at its core.

I used the former for the muesli.

IMG_20200729_225639.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh now I miss my white fig tree - as does my former neighbor who moved to Texas. Do NOT miss those pretty but annoying fig beetles.  https://www.gardenbetty.com/fig-beetles-bumbling-pilots-of-the-garden/

Never seen those around. We do get stink bugs of various colors which are happy to fly into one's head and spary you. Though they prefer other fruits. Only beetle I'm worried about are those nightmares. They're bigger than my palm and will happily kill all fig and mango trees if left unchecked. 

~ Shai N.

6 minutes ago, shain said:

Never seen those around. We do get stink bugs of various colors which are happy to fly into one's head and spary you. Though they prefer other fruits. Only beetle I'm worried about are those nightmares. They're bigger than my palm and will happily kill all fig and mango trees if left unchecked. 

Probably not in your area. I am an insect fan in general as us humans would be goners without most of them. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, heidih said:

Probably not in your area. I am an insect fan in general as us humans would be goners without most of them. 

You'd probably like this book. I remember leafing through it for a solid 40 minutes or so when I saw it in a store, many years ago.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Soup for breakfast. Vegetable (mainly carrot and cabbage) soup with cannellini beans. Added a boiled egg to make it more breakfasty and less vegan. Baguette for dunking.

Funny as I was trying to explain myself to step-mother as I ate soup for breakfast. I told her my pho eating traditional with a friend and her eyes glazed over. Oh well we are happy right?

• Like 1

breakfast was this ;

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160488-food-in-the-time-of-a-pandemic/page/81/?tab=comments#comment-2257724

but cold from the refrigerator.  seasoning adjusted.

not sure Fz peas that ' snap '  is best eaten this way , but quite good on a hot morning

w no work involved , except scooping some out of the 1 qt containers.

hot it looked like this :

DM8.thumb.jpg.59939149b0c7bec76d36000a5ca56d72.jpg

cold it looked similar , but was not glistening .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Duck confit bánh mì

IMG_2816.jpeg

Edited to add that I toasted the roll a bit too much and apparently assembled my layers upside down.  Still an acceptable breakfast.

That looks and sounds crazy good!

I spent a few days in Ho Chi Minh in February, and one morning was devoted entirely to Banh mi. I went vendor to vendor, cash in hand, and only ate a few bites of each until I couldn't eat any more. @heidih that was also the trip where I discovered Pho for breakfast. Truly delightful. Even on a hot day.

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

A2809188-93E7-42EE-8E83-9120C2303B73.thumb.jpeg.7afda502fe5b1058fe8152679d5925f9.jpeg

A minute too long!  

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

C323F43A-7C6F-4B6B-9CCC-596FFDFA6FA0.thumb.jpeg.d7da8521a7142cf087c71515f7ec3d0d.jpeg

Leftover Chinese takeout. Plain chop suey with crispy beef with orange peel. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog