• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Had to look up lumaconi!

CCAC9530-DB10-4C98-9DB5-DC24E4CC8898.thumb.jpeg.7627fec3d63417b25a1dff1df1f7ec5b.jpeg

Cheese and onion toasties. I suspect the photograph may be somewhat blurry and it may be time for me to give up on photography. 

Nope not blurry a bit and it looks good!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

You remind me of a neighbor’s child who used to stay with my parents.   His mother would send him over with a pimento cheese filled bun wrapped in foil.    At supper time, my mom pulled the hot melty thing out of the oven and put on his plate, while serving my father and her meat and potatoes.    Tears welled up in the kid’s eyes as he told my mother, “Sandwiches isn’t dinner, Mrs. XXX!”

• Sad 3

eGullet member #80.

I used my new toastie maker for breakfast this morning:

IMG_2929.jpg.3b707b2046831a0b9c94cbbd6a571b24.jpg

Ham, egg, and cheese.  Done:

IMG_2930.jpg.a0c158607010147e0b9104200e6b27f0.jpg

You are supposed to brush/spray the appliance with oil, but I tried buttering the bread.  I like that better – flavor/crunch/toastiness were all better than oiling.  Inside:

IMG_2931.jpg.beded66213679405013e29ae9876f6ff.jpg

Not sure that I’ll be using this a lot in the years to come, but it’s fun right now and it was $14. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Just toast from bread made in my new bread machine:

IMG_2933.jpg.088947d20284568e94dbea3ee4fa17a7.jpg

I'm very happy with this loaf.  It tastes good, has a great texture and toasts beautifully.  I seriously wonder how folks who make their own really good bread don't just sit around all day eating toast.  Even with my ordinary efforts, I am eating WAY too much bread.    

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Poorly photographed to show the lovely tomato that was the reason for this choice so I went back and took this photo of what's left:

IMG_2768.thumb.jpeg.4e9127ea1cc1d52c1f25069ef0264c1b.jpeg

Awesome looking tomato. I've not been able to get to farmers market - SO jealous

• Like 2

Comfort childhood favorite: toast, creamy softly scrambled eggs, onion-y buttery fried potatoes or as my Dad used to call them, "home fries." Something's missing though, sausage...bacon?

20200722_103114.jpg

• Like 9

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

BLT

IMG_2764.thumb.jpeg.48ff11b89d35d17acc805d1e86363e93.jpeg

Poorly photographed to show the lovely tomato that was the reason for this choice so I went back and took this photo of what's left:

IMG_2768.thumb.jpeg.4e9127ea1cc1d52c1f25069ef0264c1b.jpeg

BLT is my favorite sandwich! I usually add dill pickles and sometimes avocado, but with really good bacon and such a tomato as that I might just stop at the basics and let those flavors shine on their own. 

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

BLT is my favorite sandwich! I usually add dill pickles and sometimes avocado, but with really good bacon and such a tomato as that I might just stop at the basics and let those flavors shine on their own. 

I kind of wished for an avocado and considered adding a fried egg but at this time of year,  just tomato & mayo on toast would have been a fine breakfast!

Egg salad on toasted rosemary baguette with crispy bacon crumbles

IMG_2773.thumb.jpeg.4a50cb82c7686fc08041d5b559ace508.jpeg

Tomato wedges and cornichons on the side

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'd be tempted to do Bacon, Lettuce, Olive, Avocado and Tomato just for the acronym. But my sense of humor is a bit odd...

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

小笼包 (xiǎo lóng bāo) with my new favourite sesame and chilli dip.

Looks great. Curious about the dip as it looks so "solid". How do you actually apply it? That was from a jar you showed earlier?

Edited by heidih (log)

22 hours ago, chromedome said:

I'd be tempted to do Bacon, Lettuce, Olive, Avocado and Tomato just for the acronym. But my sense of humor is a bit odd...

It's because you are Canadian!

I can say that, as a fellow Canucklehead.

;)

• Haha 2

Had a small get together with my mom's cousin. Decided to try a recipe I had saved in my Epicurious recipe box. 

French toast BLT. Challah, bacon, tomato, avocado, gruyere, arugula and a roasted garlic vinaigrette. Nice change from sweet French toast.

Also, roasted Yukon gold potatoes and Mumm's Rose.

005C9909-D552-4B51-A35B-2EA8D4B8E263.jpeg

Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

58 minutes ago, RWood said:

French toast BLT. Challah, bacon, tomato, avocado, gruyere, arugula and a roasted garlic vinaigrette. Nice change from sweet French toast.

Also, roasted Yukon gold potatoes and Mumm's Rose.

Mmmmm...that whole meal sounds divine!  I was on a savory French toast kick a while back but never tried anything like that!

Grits, collards, spicy tomato and boiled egg

IMG_2794.thumb.jpeg.c9ac472db2f42262d1ed72f25c733f5a.jpeg

I ladled on more collards and potlikker after taking the photo.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mmmmm...that whole meal sounds divine!  I was on a savory French toast kick a while back but never tried anything like that!

Grits, collards, spicy tomato and boiled egg

IMG_2794.thumb.jpeg.c9ac472db2f42262d1ed72f25c733f5a.jpeg

I ladled on more collards and potlikker after taking the photo.  

I would do the grits, tomato and egg, but I guess I'm not a proper Southerner. I can't do collards or turnip greens. The smell would run me from the house 🤷‍♀️😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@RWood -- born and bred in the south, and I feel the same way about greens.

Ha born and raised in Los Angeles and I run towards them. Oh the differences between us make it interesting :)