• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin
couldn’t do tuna at anytime of the day!

24F170D2-3373-4E57-9C97-28454389BB58.thumb.jpeg.dafccf1654b84331a09e90ea843f73dd.jpeg

Scrambled duck eggs with toast. The toast was done in the Breville  smart oven.  I didn’t think I would ever say this but I think the newer model makes better toast than the Cuisinart steam oven. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix typo! Tuna NOT turner (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin
couldn’t do tuner at anytime of the day!

Scrambled duck eggs with toast. The toast was done in the Breville  smart oven.  I didn’t think I would ever say this but I think the newer model makes better toast than the Cuisinart steam oven. 

The funny bit is that some could never do duck eggs ever - all in the mind, I'd happily do both ;)

• Like 1

Tots again

IMG_2726.thumb.jpeg.0878c71a0c1c6ca77b5baf9781c77ad1.jpeg

In addition to broccoli and red bell pepper, I added pickled jalapeños and replaced most of the grated cheddar with a drizzle of a queso-like sauce. 

The sauce is from Chris Shepherd's book Cook like a Local where he uses it a Chile Tater Tot Casserole and something called Lamburger Helper.  

The sauce has onion, garlic, Crystal hot sauce and sambal oelek in addition to cheddar cheese and heavy cream.  It is very rich and very delicious.

From others who have made it, the tot casserole turns the tots rather mushy.  Some people like it that way.  Fans of the crispy tot have turned it into something more like totchos than a casserole and I plan to try that. 

The recipe is available online here:  Chile Tater Tot Casserole

Interior view:

IMG_2728.thumb.jpeg.a6eff15b52a2ac4b3c003a15044ad41c.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add interior view (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Lentils cooked lovingly by me in home made beef stock, canned chickpeas rinsed thoroughly by me, garlic chives that I am addicted to, leftover Chick-fil-A chicken.  Egg on top makes it breakfast.

60554591-26C4-4C7F-A41A-B3264D6FE105.thumb.jpeg.ad9f062e8c5b066b22ccdf8f687f2ed5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

AE95B774-0344-498A-A2FB-B829EF7AEF27.thumb.jpeg.53f5591e726d54d1f17286bf0a826954.jpeg

A plate of tater tots although they’re called something else by this company. They were plenty hot enough but next time I might try for a little more color.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin

I must say that your tater tots look much more like the ones I recall and certainly your preparation beats mine by much more than a country mile. It was your mention of the tots that persuaded me to throw them onto my shopping list so thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

OMG you ladies and your tots, I feel better knowing there are other adults out there like this. You can set a plate of the finest food in front of me, but if there are tater tots within say a 1/4 mile radius I'm going to start wondering where they and the ketchup are. @blue_dolphin you are obviously a tot artist of the highest caliber

• Haha 3

Mine are also called something else but give me a handful of hot, crunchy, salty tots and some salsa or ketchup or pickled jalapenos and queso .....

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Nice to see the tot love over here in the breakfast thread!  I'm pretty much a tot novice.  For sure, my first time to buy them and cook them at home.  It was slim pickings at my local Walmart Neighborhood Market.  Walmart brand "Taters" only, though I did have a choice of a 2 lb or 5 lb bag.   Someone told me the more disc-shaped type that @Anna N pictured have a better crispy surface area:interior ratio but these seem quite satisfactory. I bought the 2 lb bag thinking it would last a lifetime but I'm making good progress and can see a re-purchase in my future!

There is a whole tot topic over here although, aside from a few devotees, it hasn't seen a ton of tot love lately.  

It was in that thread that I found the idea for today's tot Sunday brunch special

IMG_2731.thumb.jpeg.324dea91ee8d13f6281f0f7de9288d88.jpeg

Scrambled eggs with sour cream filled tots topped with salmon roe.   Cut a slit in the top of the tot, squeeze from the ends to open it up, pipe in the sour cream and, lacking actual caviar,  top with roe. 

You may also note that's not a coffee mug in the background.  This was washed down with a nice glass of bubbly - the Trader Joe's Reserve Brut Rosé North Coast Sparkling Wine that I buy when it's available over the holidays and hoard for celebrations.  I realized that we're more than half way to next year's supply and with no parties, I haven't made much of a dent in my stash.  These days, fancy tots are as good excuse as I'm likely to get!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

My standby cottage cheese and fruit. Beautiful fruit this time of year...cherries are just about done, but nectarines are outstanding.

IMG_20200713_084906.jpg

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@weinoo – that was an awfully nice looking egg sitting on top of the rice.  Was it basted?

@liamsaunt – the egg croissant sandwich made me commit the sin of envy!  Just gorgeous.  And the BLT on the soft white is also delightful looking. 

@Shelby– oh, MY.  That lovely, lovely tomato sandwich.  Confession time: sometimes when we have really good tomatoes I’ve been known to make 2 halves of a tomato sandwich – one with toast and one with soft bread.  It’s so hard to decide between the two. 

Re: the dyed hair.  I’ve never done an unconventional color.  Unless you count the time in college that I was playing a Mexican lady.  I am a glow-in-the dark white girl with reddish/light brown/blondish hair.  I accidentally dyed my hair with permanent dye instead of washout and chose “midnight black”. 😳 Anyway, Jessica DID dye her hair blue in HS.  She was an acolyte at church and when some of the more staid members of our congregation expressed disapproval to the priest he said, “I’ve got a teenager who shows up every week, excited to serve her church and her faith.  I’m not saying a word to her and neither should you.” 🥰

Some recent breakfasts:

IMG_2785.jpg.eb6ff7c52f318e243d9d7a5f2cd82299.jpg

Toast, some lovely peaches from Charlottesville VA area orchards and scrambled eggs. 

My birthday was the 9th and Mr. Kim went out early for bagels:

IMG_2786.jpg.97acaac80164b414ba1ae2d9346919f7.jpg

Egg and bacon ET bagel. 

Yesterday:

IMG_2824.thumb.jpg.32084573bf38ab34079bbe81597892e4.jpg

Good tomatoes on toast for breakfast brings back my childhood.  Except back then it was Miracle Whip instead of Dukes.  Momma never liked mayonnaise.  And that GREEN RINGED egg looks awful, but it tasted good.  Too much natural release in the IP. 

Today:

IMG_2842.thumb.jpg.c87103e1fe371e0b43a679d5ef331b2d.jpg

A hot crusty roll filled with too much butter is another childhood favorite.  This was from Wegman’s bakery, but Momma used to get the Pepperidge Farm ones in the bread aisle.  They still make them, but now they are called Artisan French rolls and are frozen.  Not the same to me. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@weinoo – that was an awfully nice looking egg sitting on top of the rice.  Was it basted?

Thank you - I actually just cover almost the whole pan for like 30 seconds, almost steams it a little, I guess.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yesterday, another BLT

blt.thumb.jpg.baedb5021277af88180f05b0e7dbac1e.jpg

This morning, all the recent talk of tater tots made me add hash brown patties to my last delivery.  I crisped one up in a waffle iron and topped it with a poached egg with a little aleppo pepper.

1153974987_hashbrownegg.thumb.jpg.4ca2bb0b2214afea713d95fa1ae8c549.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

29 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I treated leftover buckwheat as rice and fried it with ham, zucchini, and egg.

6180E15F-E7AA-4B9D-BEDC-0D3730306BBE.thumb.jpeg.d84b21c261664fca504f61759548be0e.jpeg

I really need to change up my grain profile but Pandemic and access impacting Look so good

On 7/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, BeeZee said:

My standby cottage cheese and fruit. Beautiful fruit this time of year...cherries are just about done, but nectarines are outstanding.

Cottage cheese and fruit are so good together.  This time of year I mostly am chucking in handfuls of blueberries, but I love it with peaches, nectarines, pears, pineapple...

• Like 1