• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

4AB5B14C-B82F-41EA-B4E4-E93B4FC8B54B.thumb.jpeg.46074fb357f0f7ddae7d2867acdeb443.jpeg

Poached egg fail! These once farm-fresh eggs have been hanging about too long. By the time I strained off the whites I found myself with little more than yolks. But I was impressed with the toast done in the Breville smart oven!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

4AB5B14C-B82F-41EA-B4E4-E93B4FC8B54B.thumb.jpeg.46074fb357f0f7ddae7d2867acdeb443.jpeg

Poached egg fail! These once farm-fresh eggs have been hanging about too long. By the time I strained off the whites I found myself with little more than yolks. But I was impressed with the toast done in the Breville smart oven!

I've been having little luck with poached eggs recently. Ever since Covid struck. What's the connection? I'm guessing the distribution chain has slowed down so the eggs are not so fresh, but even my previously ever-reliable duck egg purveyor has let me down recently. Not only were the eggs unpoachable, half of them were just rotten! Words will be had tomorrow!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I've been having little luck with poached eggs recently. Ever since Covid struck. What's the connection?

Much as I would like to blame something other than myself for my poached egg fail, I’m afraid it is just old age - - mine, and the eggs. 

both the eggs in line

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Gingerbread waffles & cream from Toni Tipton-Martin's Jubilee with sausage & fresh peach slices

IMG_2711.thumb.jpeg.3f61b96360fa9d164d26238b9630ea74.jpeg

I get the sausages at the local farmers market.  They're made by a German family and they named this variety "Irish Bratwurst" which makes me laugh.   They also have an "Italian Bratwurst" and, of course, a "German Bratwurst," among their many offerings.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

4BF385D5-56B3-42A2-92B3-20FEFFB00391.thumb.jpeg.3502f1cbf3c5ffea0ac96d16ea11c926.jpeg

Bakery sausage roll and some Maille honey mustard. The mustard was an unexpected food gift. The sausage roll hardly passes muster. Apparently the bakery is fearful of anything approaching seasoning. The sausage roll broke my fast but did very little to assuage my hunger.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Spiced maple broiled peach from Nik Sharma's Season with a gingerbread waffle from yesterday

IMG_2717.thumb.jpeg.5b172916feac02f8cb14fd550ee79ef6.jpeg

Nik makes a vanilla bean crème fraîche to go with the peaches.  I subbed Greek yogurt with grated lemon zest and a drop of vanilla extract.  The spiced maple-vinegar syrup has rainbow peppercorns, fennel and coriander seeds added to maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Spiced maple broiled peach from Nik Sharma's Season with a gingerbread waffle from yesterday

IMG_2717.thumb.jpeg.5b172916feac02f8cb14fd550ee79ef6.jpeg

Nik makes a vanilla bean crème fraîche to go with the peaches.  I subbed Greek yogurt with grated lemon zest and a drop of vanilla extract.  The spiced maple-vinegar syrup has rainbow peppercorns, fennel and coriander seeds added to maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. 

Oh, MY!  That is gorgeous.  I've done gingerbread waffles before, but not the broiled fruit.  Just lovely looking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toasted bread. Whole seed tahini (unhulled), carob molasses.

IMG_20200630_113400.thumb.jpg.54c2d88380065badb0245791e539bb01.jpg

I used to eat those almost daily once. I stopped once I started having BF at work. I guess that now when working from home it's a good time to revisit good old habits :) 

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

28 minutes ago, shain said:

Toasted bread. Whole seed tahini (unhulled), carob molasses.

I grew up eating peanut butter and molasses on toast, or fresh-baked bread, as a cherished snack. It's always interesting how those things translate across cultures. :)

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, Anna N said:

4BF385D5-56B3-42A2-92B3-20FEFFB00391.thumb.jpeg.3502f1cbf3c5ffea0ac96d16ea11c926.jpeg

Bakery sausage roll and some Maille honey mustard. The mustard was an unexpected food gift. The sausage roll hardly passes muster. Apparently the bakery is fearful of anything approaching seasoning. The sausage roll broke my fast but did very little to assuage my hunger.  

No excuse for that.  Such an easy thing - really good sausage (they don't even have to house make it) and decent all butter pastry (again, they could purchase it).  

Breakfast this morning:

IMG_2767.jpg.ed840bcb24fd64c930eb86cf53e1461d.jpg

Fried egg on a buttered and toasted Hawaiian roll and a mandarin orange cup.

• Like 7

mid-morning after exercising...cut up nectarine and red grapes with a dollop of ricotta and some toasted almond slices. When it's hot I only want to eat fruit. Have a lot of leftover (mediocre supermarket) ricotta to use up, I think I'm going to make muffins.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful, but for breakfast?

I would. I have given up/ cast aside categories and food norms ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

@chefmd 

how long did that take ?

how was the flavor of the mushrooms ?

It took about a week.  Flavor was identical to supermarket oyster mushrooms.  It was a fun project for 10 dollars.  I would not pay the original 20 dollars price.  

• Delicious 1