• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

I rarely post to this topic because our breakfasts are same ol' same ol'...yogurt and/or fruit for me; cereal and fruit for him. This morning, I simply couldn't face any more yogurt. Scrambled eggs with cheese, tomatoes, avocado, and some leftover sausage from last night's dinner. We made inroads into a very old package of corn tortillas. That stuff that looks like ketchup is a very-cooked-down salsa that turned thick and sweet from the cooking-down. Hot sauce needed; I have some from Tucson thanks to @FauxPas.

20200628_131348.jpg

(Well all right, the other reason I rarely post to this topic is that other posters' photos look so much better than mine! :P )

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On Friday I made some breakfast for the In Laws to have in their refrigerator - Hash Brown Bake before going in the oven:

IMG_2645.jpg.b821e9f0212bf43171844f6f2df12280.jpg

Pie plate lined with raw shredded potatoes that are drizzled with butter and browned in the oven and then topped with chopped ham, cheese, and a seasoned egg/milk mixture.  Baked:

IMG_2647.jpg.915221945d1f5841d9e8ed740e303623.jpg

The closest I could get to showing the insides:

IMG_2648.jpg.bd88e1e0b7e3155842e4fb8cd22feb55.jpg

This is a favorite of ours and is actually very tasty.

Mr. Kim surprised me with breakfast on couch this morning (I fell asleep watching TV last night):

IMG_2658.jpg.4ec4b042c34f765484dd5279e72e2fa6.jpg

ET bagel (from the freezer), Benton’s bacon.  And a perfectly cooked egg:

IMG_2659.jpg.03475f9ad05f4d163aa9f81d87c0243a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

On 6/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, heidih said:

@BKEats  Completely different "animal" I know but have you played with jackfruit on your veg journey? There has been a run on it at Trader Joes in my area  https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/tag/Jackfruit/

Many years ago, when we were renting a house on the coast of México, the gardener presented us with an enormous jackfruit (they're all huge). I spent the better part of a morning cutting it apart. I told my husband it was like rendering a small pig! Neither of us cared for the taste, and I was particularly uninterested after all that effort. One thing that surprised me--they're sticky. I mean, really sticky. Fingers- stuck-together sticky. You have to use some type of cooking oil to clean your hands, the knife, the cutting board, the counters, the floor. It is sold all along the roads in the area, cut up already, which if you like the stuff is a real blessing. The giant fruit hanging from the rather delicate-looking trees presents an especially unusual image. Now people are using it as a meat substitute, which I don't get at all. Is it the texture? It's certainly not the taste.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

23 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Many years ago, when we were renting a house on the coast of México, the gardener presented us with an enormous jackfruit (they're all huge). I spent the better part of a morning cutting it apart. I told my husband it was like rendering a small pig! Neither of us cared for the taste, and I was particularly uninterested after all that effort. One thing that surprised me--they're sticky. I mean, really sticky. Fingers- stuck-together sticky. You have to use some type of cooking oil to clean your hands, the knife, the cutting board, the counters, the floor. It is sold all along the roads in the area, cut up already, which if you like the stuff is a real blessing. The giant fruit hanging from the rather delicate-looking trees presents an especially unusual image. Now people are using it as a meat substitute, which I don't get at all. Is it the texture? It's certainly not the taste.

Yes the texture. Like shredded meat.  Example  https://jackfruitcafe.com/

49 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

As @heidih said, it's apparently the texture.  The LA Times recently did a spread on vegan Mexican restaurants and included this recipe for vegan jackfruit "carnitas" .  The header notes say, "Here, jackfruit takes on the same shredded texture as pork. This dish calls for a good amount of oil to give the jackfruit carnitas the same fatty texture and richness of pork"

I've got a can of jackfruit in the cupboard so I may give this one a try.....it could turn up right here in the breakfast thread 🙃

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This morning was a ham omelet on a Hawaiian roll.  Buttered and toasted roll turned out well:

King's Hawaiian is just down the road. I used to do a sort of garlic bread with them. Scarfed up by the males.  https://www.khbakery.com/

• Like 1

E7FE6B9C-DC9D-422E-897A-F8DBC14B98FB.thumb.jpeg.9d5c45aee797102b9ec2ccf53b028649.jpeg

Not a lot of cooking happening at chez Nielsen at the moment. Daughter has been doing my grocery shopping and visited a local bakery where she found some savoury pastries. This one is filled with pepperonata. They reheat very nicely from frozen in the Cuisinart steam oven.  The pen is for scale. One of these makes a fine breakfast. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The pen is for scale. One of these makes a fine breakfast. 

I think I'd need more than one - or at least double ink.

Unless you mean a female swan. Tried that that back in the late 1950s. Horrible.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto