• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

the only person in the house without a baseball cap,  On.

Off topic I know, but that really boils my juices.  I bet there where men old enough to know better and have some respect.

sorry. End of rant.🙃

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Captain said:

Off topic I know, but that really boils my juices.  I bet there where men old enough to know better and have some respect.

sorry. End of rant.🙃

No the head cock and approval wink is most I'd  hope for. Or if you were really the missy of the moment they'd of bought your coffee Diner etiquette

Edited by heidih (log)

24 minutes ago, Captain said:

sorry. End of rant.🙃

re caps or hats indoors, I hear your angst, Captain.   But I am so old that I realize that my standards and expectations are quaint.   What is, is.   And I may as well enjoy it.  

eGullet member #80.

4 hours ago, MokaPot said:

That's a good story. I usually order soft scrambled eggs if I'm not sure about things. It's behind a paywall now, but there's an old article from The New Yorker called "The Egg Men" (Burkhard Bilger) in praise of egg cooks.

Its off topic but its sort of relevant

Click on the link. When it comes up with the paywall message, go to the address bar in your browser and insert a "." (full stop ) after the .com ( report.nyt.com./sssss.ssss.xxx/.xxxx.....) leave everything in place.

Do a reload page (usually the circle thing with the arrow) and usually no paywall.

• Like 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

20 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm just surprised there was rye toast available.

I would think so, too.  Except just about everywhere I've ever ordered breakfast (and this is mostly in the American south) has had rye bread available.  Including the little cafe in my grandparents little town in NC.  I wouldn't think enough people ordered it to make it worth their while.  I know they don't keep it in the freezer, because when I've ordered a sandwich, the bread is soft and fresh tasting.  

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I would think so, too.  Except just about everywhere I've ever ordered breakfast (and this is mostly in the American south) has had rye bread available.  Including the little cafe in my grandparents little town in NC.  I wouldn't think enough people ordered it to make it worth their while.  I know they don't keep it in the freezer, because when I've ordered a sandwich, the bread is soft and fresh tasting.  

My rye experience as well. The most old school diner like my local offers it  up as routine. https://www.restaurantji.com/ca/lomita/hot-n-tot-/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

That was nice the cook went to special effort to make poached eggs. I'm just surprised there was rye toast available.

19 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

My rye experience as well. The most old school diner like my local offers it  up as routine. https://www.restaurantji.com/ca/lomita/hot-n-tot-/

Both poached eggs and rye as a bread option were on the menu.   Probably, or obviously, not frequent orders but not just an off-menu whim on my part.   Realize also that in normal times tourists and their tastes bring  major chunk of change to these small towns and businesses.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I made these for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom.  They are something called “Breakfast Platter Muffins”.  It’s a recipe given to me by @Sunny Simmons Steincamp who used to post here years ago.  Eggs, cheese, sausage, onions, S&P.  That’s it.  You can dress them up with vegetables, different meats, etc.  They are very good and reheat well.  To be honest, they are excellent on top of a large biscuit and smothered in sausage gravy😊:

IMG_2479.jpg.dc3ff09bd6a8c4d5de98c7325d456cdf.jpg

My breakfast today:

IMG_2497.thumb.jpg.c304220c9c07c14f1d308f3ddf0648ac.jpg

Sausage, and fried egg on toast (one of my favorite ways to have any kind of egg).  I must have been truly hungry because I ate every bite!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I made these for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom.  They are something called “Breakfast Platter Muffins”.  It’s a recipe given to me by @Sunny Simmons Steincamp who used to post here years ago.  Eggs, cheese, sausage, onions, S&P.  That’s it.  You can dress them up with vegetables, different meats, etc.  They are very good and reheat well.  To be honest, they are excellent on top of a large biscuit and smothered in sausage gravy😊:

IMG_2479.jpg.dc3ff09bd6a8c4d5de98c7325d456cdf.jpg

I am always on the lookout for things that can be fed to our unruly and wildly irregular once-a-year firewood party. These look like they might be a good item. Is this a recipe you can share? (If not, I'll understand. Been there, done that, kept the secrets.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not @Kim Shook’s recipe but she reminded me that I had not made these in far too long! 

image.thumb.jpeg.a77616c44d8523edc548148ad1fa7565.jpeg

Jalapeño, Sausage and Cheese Scrambled Egg ‘Muffins’

Servings: 6

Ingredients:

- 8 ounces Pork Sausage, ground

- 6 Large Eggs, lightly beatened 

- 4 ounces Cheddar or Monterey Jack or a Blend of Cheeses, shredded

- 2 tablespoons Pickled Jalapeño Slices, chopped

Directions:

1. Cook sausage until lightly browned and crumbly in a medium-hot fry pan. Drain and let cool on a paper towel covered plate.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the cooled sausage, cheese and jalapeños.

3. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray such as Pam. Preheat oven to 350℉. If using Convection Bake, preheat oven to 325℉.

4. Spoon mixture evenly into muffin pan cups and bake on middle rack in oven for about 30  minutes or until golden brown and the eggs have set. Begin checking after 25 minutes.

5. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack. Use a large spoon to loosen any stuck edges and pop the muffins out of the pan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Finally got around to trying Wylie Dufresne’s Scrambled Egg Sandwich that I mentioned upthread and @liamsaunt shared here

IMG_2609.thumb.jpeg.47f79b12a285aedc24500ed505ccdee0.jpeg

IMG_2610.thumb.jpeg.090743168d241fb0967be0e201fd0162.jpeg

As @liamsaunt noted, it is indeed very rich and I also only ate half though I'm considering going back for another bite 🙃

It held together much better than expected - I was sure the eggs would squish out all over the place but they did not. 

I nibbled some pickled onions on the side but I think it could benefit from a smear of something spicy on the bread. Maybe I'll saved the other half for lunch and dip it in tomato chutney. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

I am always on the lookout for things that can be fed to our unruly and wildly irregular once-a-year firewood party. These look like they might be a good item. Is this a recipe you can share? (If not, I'll understand. Been there, done that, kept the secrets.)

Here you go!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@weinoo 

I like that sort of breakfast

I cook my rice now  ( Basmati Daawat ) in the iPot

Pot-in-a-Pot pressure-steam

then add various mix-ins  for Not-Fired-Rice

I always add  scrambled eggs and always make enough for at least 1 qt in the refrigerator

add-ins vary 

but the key is the extra qt for the next day :

makes an excellent breakfast !

room temp in the cooler months

cold in the summer.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 2:20 AM, robirdstx said:

Not @Kim Shook’s recipe but she reminded me that I had not made these in far too long! 

image.thumb.jpeg.a77616c44d8523edc548148ad1fa7565.jpeg

Jalapeño, Sausage and Cheese Scrambled Egg ‘Muffins’

Servings: 6

Ingredients:

- 8 ounces Pork Sausage, ground

- 6 Large Eggs, lightly beatened 

- 4 ounces Cheddar or Monterey Jack or a Blend of Cheeses, shredded

- 2 tablespoons Pickled Jalapeño Slices, chopped

Directions:

1. Cook sausage until lightly browned and crumbly in a medium-hot fry pan. Drain and let cool on a paper towel covered plate.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the cooled sausage, cheese and jalapeños.

3. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray such as Pam. Preheat oven to 350℉. If using Convection Bake, preheat oven to 325℉.

4. Spoon mixture evenly into muffin pan cups and bake on middle rack in oven for about 30  minutes or until golden brown and the eggs have set. Begin checking after 25 minutes.

5. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack. Use a large spoon to loosen any stuck edges and pop the muffins out of the pan.

This recipe is almost identical to the one I use, but yours look so much nicer.  Could it be the difference in pans (I just use a standard metal pan)?

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

This recipe is almost identical to the one I use, but yours look so much nicer.  Could it be the difference in pans (I just use a standard metal pan)?

Thank you. I don’t know. I have only ever made mine in the silicon pan.

• Thanks 1

Mexican Chorizo, Jalapeño and Cheese Scrambled Egg Muffins

AD7917ED-6B48-4026-B967-68AED8F6AE84.thumb.jpeg.cabcf93133e85f7ce49f8b970f6301ee.jpeg

Pan fried Mexican chorizo (8 oz.)

1B4346F0-8BC9-424C-B4EF-A97302AEFE4D.thumb.jpeg.cae2ee090309445ef94b71880791e207.jpeg

Fresh diced jalapeño.

6FB2907C-59E9-49E1-AEB1-31D878C3E015.thumb.jpeg.6a94fb6a0dbd805b5157c5f4990ef0ad.jpeg

I lightly sautéed the jalapeños in the chorizo grease and then added them to the cooling meat.

240FE850-8086-40FE-BE6E-7594A057A041.thumb.jpeg.1b85342efd69a5917a08111d5e89f158.jpeg

The batter! Six large eggs, 4 oz. shredded cheese, chorizo and jalapeños.

34AD8618-A205-4A31-AC4C-518E5BDD0DE5.thumb.jpeg.54c351c587cc016985ad6be33c44fb16.jpeg

Ready for 25 minute bake in 350F oven.

87F0CBF2-D2B2-4156-9E09-7BAEFA439BCF.thumb.jpeg.3524c27e2029352e440b51aaca83f7f2.jpeg

Cooling!

942EB3EC-D56B-4B6B-BCA8-5B4C9785886B.thumb.jpeg.73b85a7307d497669ee71f740ae74699.jpeg

My breakfast on the patio.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

Breakfast at a place called Eat at Dan & Stephs. I think they were on a cooking competition tv show. Its a brunchy kind of place, husbands choice not mine. We prebooked and had a 45 minute sitting window. 

Pancake for Kid 

20200620_143411.thumb.jpg.cfd03d1d331227dbcdfae71f6ea3ec5a.jpg

Cuban Sandwich for Hub 

20200620_143443.thumb.jpg.e76e967769349c5664e328523ecd6419.jpg

Normal Breakfast for the only Normal person 😂20200620_143528.thumb.jpg.765d3a225170d1782b154e7e2af9b23e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Normal Breakfast for the only Normal person 😂

The oft quoted saying is "normal is just a setting on the dryer"  

Mom, what is...Normal?" "It's just a setting on the dryer, honey ...

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I had some ackee and was feeling in a mood today... Was listening to Buju Banton early this morning.. Next thing you know, i made a ginger and all spice kale, add some peppers, garlic and tomatoes.. Cook for a bit, add the ackee and some bread... 

50024573906_5437043436_z.jpg

50024031938_43c1dae45c_z.jpg

missing the salt cod and no fried up festival... we had readily available sesame bread. 

50024834797_9e919dfa06_z.jpg

• Like 5