• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – can you direct me to your potato pancake recipe, please?  The only one I’m finding is the one with shredded potatoes.  They looks amazing!  Thanks.

@Kim Shook, here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/2011/03/pancake-tuesday.html

• Thanks 2

On 6/6/2020 at 10:34 PM, liuzhou said:

I'm sure doing this is against Chinese law, but ...

I had some home made jiaozi so boiled them but then decided to pretend they were Italian, so served them with olive oil and black pepper. I hope no one finds out!

20200606_145635.thumb.jpg.9ccd3ba5b937e1e4eb6fae7da7674215.jpg

20200606_145643.thumb.jpg.8003b7f78742eabe5667157b1cc966b6.jpg

I need to do survey in this Chinese/Italian house if it is acceptable 🤣 I’ve done my share of fusion in this 20 year of marriage 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 2:10 PM, blue_dolphin said:

This morning, I happened upon this recipe for Wylie Dufresne’s Scrambled Egg Sandwich, basically a grilled cheese with a big layer of scrambled eggs made with cream cheese.  Can't really imagine how the eggs don't squish out all over when you take a bite but I was curious.  I'm kinda low on bread at the moment but pulled from the freezer a couple of slices of a sweet potato and caramelized onion bread that I made from a recipe in Deep Run Roots.  By the time they thawed and I pulled them apart, it was clear they had too many big holes for a sandwich.  Drat!  I went ahead and made the eggs and had the toasted bread on the side.  The eggs are very rich.  I'll have to procure some more appropriate bread so I can try the grilled sandwich. 

Based on your post, I went ahead and made this sandwich for breakfast today.  You are right, the eggs are very rich!  The sandwich was not too messy, I think the cheese helped bind the eggs in place. Only two pieces fell out of the sandwich.  I could only eat half though, because the eggs were so rich.

180499974_eggsandwich.thumb.jpg.16f7f2daaa2c3b2363d9eb3db349c5d6.jpg

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I didn't.  I actually meant to use something tougher than a soft loaf and actually had a sourdough loaf I could have used, but forgot to do it.

I meant to post a link to the recipe so folks could look at it.  

Maybe too much milk for the amount of bread in the casserole?  2 slices of bread to two cups of milk seems like a lot to me.  But, you said you have made it successfully before, so I am not sure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Based on your post, I went ahead and made this sandwich for breakfast today.  You are right, the eggs are very rich!  The sandwich was not too messy, I think the cheese helped bind the eggs in place. Only two pieces fell out of the sandwich.  I could only eat half though, because the eggs were so rich.

180499974_eggsandwich.thumb.jpg.16f7f2daaa2c3b2363d9eb3db349c5d6.jpg

Maybe too much milk for the amount of bread in the casserole?  2 slices of bread to two cups of milk seems like a lot to me.  But, you said you have made it successfully before, so I am not sure.

I'm glad you did the egg sandwich!  I'll be trying that - it looks great.

Even though I have done it before the exact same way and had it do fine, the bread/milk ratio is the thing that makes the most sense.  

23 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I didn't.  I actually meant to use something tougher than a soft loaf and actually had a sourdough loaf I could have used, but forgot to do it.

I have little experience with the overnight soaking method so feel free to ignore my 2 cents.  The ratio of milk to eggs looks similar to what I use in quiche which sets up fine with half & half, marginally with whole and not well at all not with skim or 2%.  Any chance the milk was different?

When using a lower fat milk in a quiche, I've found that tossing the cheese with a teaspoon of cornstarch or Wondra helped the custard to set up.  Not sure if that would be useful with the overnight method here or not. 
Any chance the cooked sausage was hot enough to start cooking and coagulating the eggs when it first got mixed so there wasn’t enough protein to make a custard by baking time? 
Finally (or maybe it should be firstly 🙃) do you think the custard mix didn’t set up properly or do you think it set but then broke?  
My prediction is that this will work perfectly for you, as it always has and we’ll never know what happened!

6 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Intentionally left last night's pork chop pan unwashed -> homemade baguette grilled in porky jus.

Brilliant move! I hoard those tiny tiny jam jars one gets at hotels and save small amounts of jus or a T or 2 of deglaze -. adds an unexpected lick to dishes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have little experience with the overnight soaking method so feel free to ignore my 2 cents.  The ratio of milk to eggs looks similar to what I use in quiche which sets up fine with half & half, marginally with whole and not well at all not with skim or 2%.  Any chance the milk was different?

When using a lower fat milk in a quiche, I've found that tossing the cheese with a teaspoon of cornstarch or Wondra helped the custard to set up.  Not sure if that would be useful with the overnight method here or not. 
Any chance the cooked sausage was hot enough to start cooking and coagulating the eggs when it first got mixed so there wasn’t enough protein to make a custard by baking time? 
Finally (or maybe it should be firstly 🙃) do you think the custard mix didn’t set up properly or do you think it set but then broke?  
My prediction is that this will work perfectly for you, as it always has and we’ll never know what happened!

It was whole milk, which is what I've used in the past.  The cheese was shredded in the packet, which I know can create melting problems, though I've used it lots in the past - I'll add a note to my recipe to try tossing with a little cornstarch/Wondra.  I'm completely sure that the sausage was cool.  As far as the custard - I'm not sure how to answer that.  When I tried to take it out of the dish there was a LOT of liquid, as you can see in the picture, but there was some coagulated custard, too.  Not sure if that answers your question.  Thanks so much!  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

As far as the custard - I'm not sure how to answer that.  When I tried to take it out of the dish there was a LOT of liquid, as you can see in the picture, but there was some coagulated custard, too.  Not sure if that answers your question. 

Well, if it never set up as well as it did the the past, then I was wondering if the oven temp could have been off and it might have needed more baking.  Any chance the overnight fridge temp was lower than usual?  If it was colder, that could have taken longer to bake and I'd imagine that if parts of it came close to freezing, then thawed, that could have prevented the custard from setting up.  My own fridge is subject to random acts of freezing...when I least expect it!

I stand by my guess that it will be perfect next time! 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:12 PM, Kim Shook said:

Hi Kim. I looked at your recipe and then found this similar one: https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/breakfast-casserole/

Paula’s recipe calls for four slices of bread. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

Hi Kim. I looked at your recipe and then found this similar one: https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/breakfast-casserole/

Paula’s recipe calls for four slices of bread. Hope this helps.

Well, what do you know?  A little more research shows the recipe that I made (and have been making) under the name "Sunday Morning Casserole" at various websites.  It is apparently the one in her "Southern Cooking Bible".  It's the same one on Food.com, too.  Not only does the one that you found have 4 slices of bread, but it uses half and half.  That is also the one on HER website.  Thank you so much!  I'm going to make some notes based on this and @blue_dolphin's comments for next time I try this.  Heftier bread, four slices, look at fridge temp, half and half.  TA!!!

• Like 2

1845443106_Fritatta06-11.jpeg.d780a83af0132d310616733999dfab9e.jpeg

Frittata, leftover potatoes and asparagus. Sometimes I make them thinner, 100% on the stovetop. For this one, I used a different pan, smaller circumference but deeper, and after starting on the stove, moved to the steam girl on low steam heat. Totally different finished product, but I don't know which one we like more.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Poached eggs are my ultimate comfort food.    But sometimes they're a story.    I was breakfasting alone in a small gold country town, perched at the counter of the town cafe, the only person in the house without a baseball cap,  On.   So I order my poached eggs on rye toast.   Waitress looks me in the eye and says something like, "Riiiiight."   Fry cook gets the order and turns around to see who was the kook/jerk who placed the order, guesses me.    And I wait.   And wait.   And wait while he boils water on the back of the grill while flipping pancakes and turning eggs.    I finally got my plate and gave him a thumbs up thanks.   But not sure that that sufficed for the hammer I had thrown in his breakfast machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Poached eggs are my ultimate comfort food.    But sometimes they're a story.    I was breakfasting alone in a small gold country town, perched at the counter of the town cafe, the only person in the house without a baseball cap,  On.   So I order my poached eggs on rye toast.   Waitress looks me in the eye and says something like, "Riiiiight."   Fry cook gets the order and turns around to see who was the kook/jerk who placed the order, guesses me.    And I wait.   And wait.   And wait while he boils water on the back of the grill while flipping pancakes and turning eggs.    I finally got my plate and gave him a thumbs up thanks.   But not sure that that sufficed for the hammer I had thrown in his breakfast machine.

Well I give him props for the effort. Gold Country diner cooks can be "opinionated" Like cowboy country

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That was nice the cook went to special effort to make poached eggs. I'm just surprised there was rye toast available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

As long as it wasn't in Hangtown!

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

That's a good story. I usually order soft scrambled eggs if I'm not sure about things. It's behind a paywall now, but there's an old article from The New Yorker called "The Egg Men" (Burkhard Bilger) in praise of egg cooks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, weinoo said:

As long as it wasn't in Hangtown!

Nevada City!      Hangtown, I'd be tempted to order the fry.   Which reminds me that oysters are one thing I'm kinda missing in sequestration and grocery delivery.

eGullet member #80.

Another poaching story with a better ending, and one of my favorite self-indulgent memories.    I went downtown to pick up something for husband and found that the shop didn't open for another hour.   Damn!     And purple smoke mad since this area held nothing of interest...until I saw Zuni Cafe across the street.   YES!    I walk in,  just like i had breakfast at Zuni every day, claim the table in the sunny window, order my standard...poached eggs on rye toast..., pick up a copy of the daily rag from the window seat and purr like a kitten when my beautiful plate arrives.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.