• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sweet Potato Biscuits with Ham from Toni Tipton Martin's book, Jubilee 

IMG_2547.thumb.jpeg.5781b1dbac1387e01c2b67f75bbba4fb.jpeg

A biscuit maker, I am not but these were still an excellent foil for Broadbent's country ham biscuit slices. 

20F41B1D-C633-48FE-A821-9A19ADEC9EF5_1_201_a.jpeg

Those biscuits look great.  We just got a petite Edward's country ham at Wegman's the other day and I've found the recipe online and will be trying that.

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Yay!  You did it!  Wasn't it good?  Don't you wonder how you went so many years without thinking of that?  😁

They are quite addictive.  I absolutely have to get more next time I'm out at the big store.

• Like 1

Scrambled eggs & toast

IMG_2557.thumb.jpeg.941ca1254403801f1b5136802c56b226.jpeg

This morning, I happened upon this recipe for Wylie Dufresne’s Scrambled Egg Sandwich, basically a grilled cheese with a big layer of scrambled eggs made with cream cheese.  Can't really imagine how the eggs don't squish out all over when you take a bite but I was curious.  I'm kinda low on bread at the moment but pulled from the freezer a couple of slices of a sweet potato and caramelized onion bread that I made from a recipe in Deep Run Roots.  By the time they thawed and I pulled them apart, it was clear they had too many big holes for a sandwich.  Drat!  I went ahead and made the eggs and had the toasted bread on the side.  The eggs are very rich.  I'll have to procure some more appropriate bread so I can try the grilled sandwich. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_7854.jpg.4b3986a08b1dde613c5d99125ca2c2ab.jpg

A thing to do with those. Let them thaw, crumble about five or six of them up in a baking dish. Top with grated cheese and browned sausage or chopped cooked bacon or ham. Beat together 4-6 eggs with a quarter cup milk and pour over.  Bake at 350. Great brunch casserole, or breakfast -for-several.

Obviously, you could throw in most any inclusions that suited your fancy (personally fond of using sliced black olives). 

It is, in effect, the old standby brunch casserole, subbing the potatoes for croutons.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm sure doing this is against Chinese law, but ...

I had some home made jiaozi so boiled them but then decided to pretend they were Italian, so served them with olive oil and black pepper. I hope no one finds out!

20200606_145635.thumb.jpg.9ccd3ba5b937e1e4eb6fae7da7674215.jpg

20200606_145643.thumb.jpg.8003b7f78742eabe5667157b1cc966b6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Nana's Deviled Egg Sandwiches with Pickled Oregano Onions both from Josef Centeno's Amá

IMG_2570.thumb.jpeg.cb43a7e7162c1e465124a5c8bbd635ef.jpeg

I've posted about this recipe before.  So many things I never put in egg salad:  onions or shallots, celery, cilantro, Calabrian chiles, chile powder.  And that's in addition to my usuals: Dijon mustard, mayo, capers, black pepper and crumbled bacon on top. Somehow, it all works.  I need to remember to try the deviled egg version, which is actually the main recipe .

• Like 4

In the header notes, Toni Tipton-Martin says these Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits from her book, Jubilee, are outstanding served for breakfast. 

IMG_2581.thumb.jpeg.746719a56a35d9757aaf07e4e242ef1d.jpeg

No argument from me!  The shrimp kinda sank into the grits but there were 6 big, lovely shrimps in there and I ate them all!

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – I like the look and sound of that grilled cheese and egg sandwich!  I bookmarked the recipe and will be trying that!  I especially like that the eggs can be done ahead of time.

@Ann_T – can you direct me to your potato pancake recipe, please?  The only one I’m finding is the one with shredded potatoes.  They looks amazing!  Thanks.

A couple of days ago:

IMG_2425.thumb.jpg.5bf0f09d42261678e42af7e3f0f0b91c.jpg

Last of the Aldi bread toasted and my best scrambled eggs in a LONG time.

I am going to be doing a lot of cooking for Mr. Kim’s dad and stepmom for some time now.  His dad has dementia and his stepmom fell down the stairs last week and broke her foot and is in bed for a while.  She seems to be having some memory issues also; before her accident she was apparently buying tons of food, but cooking nothing and his sisters have discovered food in the pantry and freezers that expired years ago.  Not sure how it will all work out in the long run, but for right now we are all going to provide what help we can.  And I can usually cook at a fairly competent level.  Having said that, I had a complete failure.  I made a breakfast casserole that I’ve made for years, Sunday Morning Casserole.  It is a fairly typical overnight egg dish – bread, sausage, eggs, milk, potatoes, and cheese.  Before going in the fridge:

IMG_2434.jpg.549bd51f2eca0b1e0981e18e604cb54d.jpg

Looks fine to me.  Out of the oven, looking a little damp around the edges.  I let it cool completely and then refrigerated it so that I could take it out to them for them to eat all week.  When I started to transfer it to plastic ware to take over to them, I discovered this:

IMG_2436.jpg.df5519576f9c28a73a6c3238c35aa555.jpg

That is just pure liquid.  I put it back in the oven for a bit.  In all, I’m guessing that I cooked this almost twice as long as it is supposed to go.  This was the best I could get it:

IMG_2437.thumb.jpg.f79b8e1a9b92171e8a1716f905b83a21.jpg

So, I tossed it.  I hard cooked a dozen eggs to take out there and bought some already cooked sausage links on the way over there on Saturday. 

I would love some help on this as it is a favorite.  I used whole milk, whole milk pre-shredded cheese, and new potatoes steamed in the CSO.  Any ideas why this failed so spectacularly? 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Did you use a different kind of bread than you normally use? 

I didn't.  I actually meant to use something tougher than a soft loaf and actually had a sourdough loaf I could have used, but forgot to do it.

I meant to post a link to the recipe so folks could look at it.