• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Last trip to supermarket I took a peek at the cheese case and spotted a small cut of baked lemon ricotta...I've been wanting to try it but couldn't justify a purchase of a large chonk since I'm the only one eating it, and it wasn't cheap. Had some on a Lundberg rice cake (wanted a plain/neutral base) with a drizzle of honey. I think it would be tasty on oat cake type crackers, or I had contemplated using a graham cracker as a vehicle. Glad I finally got to try it, I found it pleasant but not likely to repeat at that price.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, kayb said:

@robirdstx -- Thanks for the link to the chorizo recipe. I have some ground pork in the freezer I think may be fatty enough for this.

Oops, sorry, @blue_dolphin.  I think I credited the wrong poster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Today's breakfast was the chorizo & egg tacos that I set out to make yesterday but turned into quesadillas instead.

I was not hungry this morning, but I made the quesadilla-style for my hubby, minus the avocado. He chose the salsa verde and sour cream. He liked it!

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 12:45 PM, Kim Shook said:

Also, I just added frozen hash browns to my shopping list.  Every time I see you’ve used them like that, I want it. 

ME TOO.  Every time she posts a picture of those I want one.  I have looked several times at the smaller grocery store for those hash brown patties, but never could find them.  But yesterday I found them at the big city store!  I was so excited.  I had to make one just now to test it.  Very good.  7 mins at 450F in the CSO.  Flip.  Bake for 7 more mins.  

thumbnail_IMG_7828.jpg.1c867caedc8e3f159527f80646227c2e.jpg

Kinda wish I'd bought 2 packages of them......

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

ME TOO.  Every time she posts a picture of those I want one.  I have looked several times at the smaller grocery store for those hash brown patties, but never could find them.  But yesterday I found them at the big city store!  I was so excited.  I had to make one just now to test it.  Very good.  7 mins at 450F in the CSO.  Flip.  Bake for 7 more mins.  

thumbnail_IMG_7828.jpg.1c867caedc8e3f159527f80646227c2e.jpg

Kinda wish I'd bought 2 packages of them......

Yay! My husband is the one that cooks the hash browns. He said I need to give him credit. True! His method: 

Crispy Hash Brown Potato Patty

From frozen:
CSO on Convection Bake at 375F (or 400F if your fan is not working) on rack (no pan, no foil) for 15 minutes, no flipping necessary. Put in immediately, do not wait for preheating. Then, Toast on 1 to crisp up exterior. Leave in oven until ready to plate/eat.
  • Thanks 3

Bean, cheese & bacon breakfast tacos, with and without the addition of pickled onions and manzana peppers

4FE6FB88-ACF8-4342-8FCD-9A75E6835982_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1be3299d53b4554c0876c208c4f0c04a.jpegF33D5C98-5B34-404B-8BA4-0D47731C4896_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.80bc2bb37e68f5ac11286822d0959504.jpeg

Recipes for borracho beans, flour tortillas, pickled onions and peppers all from Josef Centeno's book, Amá.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

At Trader Joe's, I picked up some nice Brie-style cheese from Dorothy's Creamery in Illinois called "Keep Dreaming" and enjoyed some for breakfast on toasted baguette slices with some walnuts and a few cherries from the farmers market.

F7901AA1-DD06-4291-836A-5912DF893E20_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.65c27204ff6f065a31f7aca7f8773333.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1275394486_Breakfast05-28BHZK0311.jpeg.1924602c61381105f8262285d03904d8.jpeg

There's a fairly famous NYC breakfast called the LEO...lox, eggs and onion. I call this the LES,. not only because we live on the lower east side, but because it's lox, eggs and SPRING ONIONS. With a buttered, toasted bagel. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

There's a fairly famous NYC breakfast called the LEO...lox, eggs and onion. I call this the LES,. not only because we live on the lower east side, but because it's lox, eggs and SPRING ONIONS. With a buttered, toasted bagel. 

When we all descend on NYC on the LES we will expect that tasty looking breakfast. BTW the toast level on the bagel = excellent.

• Like 3

Husband enjoyed bacon and waffle, maple syrup and butter this morning.     I don't do maple syrup, but that bacon fat with pan-crunchies called out to me.    So, I fried up an egg in it to top my waffle.    Voila!    Waffle with runny egg and bacon fat drizzle, as sun streamed in the window.

1991852908_ScreenShot2020-05-29at7_10_12AM.thumb.png.60be2492dc3adf665aaa4ede8a8321f7.png

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Husband enjoyed bacon and waffle, maple syrup and butter this morning.     I don't do maple syrup, but that bacon fat with pan-crunchies called out to me.    So, I fried up an egg in it to top my waffle.    Voila!    Waffle with runny egg and bacon fat drizzle, as sun streamed in the window.

Wow that looks perfect. I grew up with those flabby toaster (Eggo) things. A former beau gave me a wafflemaker as a wedding gift eons ago - we had no waffle tradition, and I never used it. Must be in my storage boxes. I think enough time has passed ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 1

LOL, I am reminded of a young man who was]my assistant years ago.   He came into work one morning fuming about his mother.   "She is SO LAZY.   Every morning for breakfast, waffles, waffles, waffles, every single day!"    I told him I thought that waffles were in fact a breakfast only a very devoted mother would make on a regular basis.    His answer,  "Eggo???"

• Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

Wow that looks perfect. I grew up with those flabby toaster (Eggo) things. A former beau gave me a wafflemaker as a wedding gift eons ago - we had no waffle tradition, and I never used it. Must be in my storage boxes. I think enough time has passed ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

Just to get you started, of course you can make all sorts of "real" waffles, but I find that Bisquik made with milk, a spoon of white vinegar and of oil, even skipping the suggested egg, works sublimely and without fuss.    And of course you can "waflle" all sorts of foods as described here on eG.

eGullet member #80.

The very best waffles I have ever had in my life are these yeast waffles whose recipe, I think, came from the booklet that used to come with the Waring wafflemakers. I let mine go through two cycles of red light/green light so's to get them plenty crisp on the outside. Inside, they're mostly air with a few wisps of dough around it. 

I used to halve the recipe, but since acquiring the CSO, I've found you can freeze and reheat them pretty successfully. Sadly, I can eat them only very rarely since the celiac diagnosis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Margaret Pilgrim – lovely looking waffles.  I like them all – sweet, savory – I’ve even made stuffing waffles and topped them with leftover turkey and gravy. 

@kayb – I, too, love yeast raised waffles and use the CI recipe.  The yeast ones have the most flavor of any I’ve tried.

I’m trying NOT to eat big breakfasts and get rid of the 30-some pounds I’ve gained since Christmas, but the ham and good bread in the house were just whispering to me:

IMG_2347.jpg.7c92197b3649072ce3cc989933ed99b8.jpg

This was the Pane Turano bread from Aldi and some Christmas ham we thawed.  Great breakfast.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

17 hours ago, kayb said:

The very best waffles I have ever had in my life are these yeast waffles whose recipe, I think, came from the booklet that used to come with the Waring wafflemakers.

Those little booklets that came with various kitchen appliances "back in the day" - always a fun read, sometimes an excellent recipe. I'm pretty sure those places (Waring, Hamilton Beach, et al.) all had well-staffed test kitchens.

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

20200530_093818.thumb.jpg.195646bbc9c321d626f6632c655e09e4.jpg

Wontons in a spicy chicken broth.

Isn't that really lunch?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?