• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Josef Centeno's book, Amá, includes a recipe for Broccolini Torrada that features broiled broccolini tossed with what he likens to a Mexican-inspired version of bagna cauda made with toasted walnuts and pecans, garlic, anchovy, olive oil, lime juice and zest, chiles, cilantro and a few other spices.  I've been wanting to make it and put an egg on top but broccolini has been absent from my house for a while. I decided to go ahead and make it for breakfast today with broccoli instead. 

D6AEBDC5-A03E-4DE3-933E-EA09C77F43F7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9c5faacd8dea0b5dc61a4170cd98279e.jpeg

That sauce is certainly a flavor-bomb.  I used TJ's Unexpected Cheddar for the "aged white cheddar" called for but it's really not necessary with everything else going on in that sauce. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@robirdstx – that is an absolutely scrumptious looking bacon, egg, and biscuit & gravy breakfast.  I, however, would need one additional biscuit for the egg to be dribbled on. Wow!  Also, I just added frozen hash browns to my shopping list.  Every time I see you’ve used them like that, I want it. 

@liamsaunt – I love the look of your pudding.  Did you halve the recipe?  It looks like a square baking dish and I was wondering how you got all of that into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.  Also, am I the only one who sees a line of blueberry birds down the right side?

Yesterday:

IMG_2250.thumb.jpg.7d0fb53fa3dbde68f01b23d45cf6739b.jpg

Benton’s bacon and ATK sandwich bread toasted with butter and strawberry jam.

• Like 5

Potato & Egg Breakfast Taco with Mexican Salmorejo, Tomatillo Salsa and Borracho Beans, all from Josef Centeno's book, Amá

IMG_2505.thumb.jpeg.5b416f6f8115a2e13a1dba72c24b5db4.jpeg

Edited to add that the taco filling is sliced potato, sautéed with a bit of chopped bacon, shallot, serrano chile. Eggs get scrambled into the mix at the end with a sprinkle of cheddar  when it goes into the tortillas.  There's a recipe for homemade tortillas in the book but I was lazy and used store-bought. 

@shain, your beans on toast were on my mind all day yesterday so after I cooked these borracho beans last night, I made myself beans on toast for dinner with pickled onions and a bit of cheddar.  It just hit the spot!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10

On 5/18/2020 at 1:45 PM, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – I love the look of your pudding.  Did you halve the recipe?  It looks like a square baking dish and I was wondering how you got all of that into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan.  Also, am I the only one who sees a line of blueberry birds down the right side?

No, I made the full recipe.  That is an 8x8 pan.  I just pressed down on the bread to make it all fit.

• Thanks 1

This was suppose to be last night's dinner, but didn't happen.

Spatchcocked chicken marinated yesterday morning with lots of garlic, lemon zest, juice of a large lemon, salt, pepper, oregano and some hot pepper flakes and olive oil.

1055301109_GrilledSpatchcockedGreekChickenMay21st20201.thumb.jpg.35d8d502cf158feb0124b1a1735418bd.jpg

Cooked on the grill this morning.   

1758571684_GrilledSpatchcockedGreekChickenMay21st2020.thumb.jpg.bca72ddcd0d473d1ecfe9239f3fe855b.jpg

I made sandwiches on  buns, which I forgot to take a photo of.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

This was suppose to be last night's dinner, but didn't happen.

Spatchcocked chicken marinated yesterday morning with lots of garlic, lemon zest, juice of a large lemon, salt, pepper, oregano and some hot pepper flakes and olive oil.

1055301109_GrilledSpatchcockedGreekChickenMay21st20201.thumb.jpg.35d8d502cf158feb0124b1a1735418bd.jpg

Cooked on the grill this morning.   

1758571684_GrilledSpatchcockedGreekChickenMay21st2020.thumb.jpg.bca72ddcd0d473d1ecfe9239f3fe855b.jpg

I made sandwiches on  buns, which I forgot to take a photo of.

I need some smelling salts.  Wow.  Mr. Kim (working from home and wandered by on the phone) wanted to know if that is a puffin.  LOL

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I need some smelling salts.  Wow.  Mr. Kim (working from home and wandered by on the phone) wanted to know if that is a puffin.  LOL

Might be a turr from Newfoundland.

I'd eat it.

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Chorizo and eggs, quesadilla-style

IMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.8fe6691c96dfea3978a574b5e4fca818.jpeg

@blue_dolphin Ingredients and method for the quesadilla filling please. I think I have everything on hand and would like to make these for our breakfast tomorrow.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

7 hours ago, robirdstx said:

@blue_dolphin Ingredients and method for the quesadilla filling please. I think I have everything on hand and would like to make these for our breakfast tomorrow.

I would say make your chorizo & eggs the way you like,  heat a large flour tortilla in a skillet, sprinkle with grated cheddar,  cover half with the eggs, fold it in half and give it a minute to get all stuck together. 

I made the recipe for Grandma Alice's Chipotle Chorizo in Josef Centeno's Amá (recipe available online at this linkusing a nice piece of pork belly and let that sit in the fridge for a day before cooking. It's quite tasty and I do recommend the recipe if you want to make your own.  I intended to use some in breakfast tacos from the book but I was missing an ingredient to make the fresh tortillas.  I had some in the freezer but they were too big for tacos so I switched to quesadillas.  I like crispy so I wasn't disappointed.  

For one 9.5 inch tortilla, I scrambled 2 eggs, 1 large green onion, thinly sliced and ~ 1/3 cup of chorizo and used a little less than an ounce of grated cheddar.  As you can see in the photo, the amount of filling is generous so you could certainly cut that down if you wanted. 

Pork belly, pre-grind:

IMG_2508.thumb.jpeg.9cfae9337d687ceeefbe11f300082458.jpeg

Spices:

IMG_2517.thumb.jpeg.f2e5a02a8279d7be758df2b2eb6882ba.jpeg

Chorizo - possibly a lifetime supply!

IMG_2520.thumb.jpeg.15fef61e8c33b845d89d37217aa09386.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2