• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Ooops.  I was doing eggs in the CSO, but these were done in the IP.  I'm sorry!  Too many dern letters - CSO, SV, IP!  

Well that makes sense. I was a little confused. They are lovely looking eggs. Thanks for clearing that up. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Belgian waffle made with sourdough discard, whipped cream and fruit.  This was not my breakfast.  I could not eat all that sugar in the morning.  I made this for my niece.  I had toast 🙂

waffle.thumb.jpg.b8958d0cd623e1485e9aaaa51fbad552.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 5

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Thanks for sharing your take on it. I saw his post and wondered. 

It's quite good.  Now that it's getting warm, this appeals to me more than a big bowl of meaty beans. 

The method of sautéing the beans with well caramelized onions, garlic, thyme and a bit of tomato makes for a super flavorful toast-topper mix whether you have the duck confit or not.  Obviously, the confit and crispy duck skin put it over the top but a meatless version would be delicious.  I think I'll cook up a Toulouse sausage to include in the next round. 

• Like 3

I wish I liked breakfast.   I would have start with @shain's rice pudding.   

And then @blue_dolphin's Cassoulet Toasts and then on to @Kim Shook's pikelets.

And I would have to @liamsaunt's waffles as soon as the local strawberries are available. 

I was going to make Moe a sandwich on rye using the leftover steak from last night.

2008452851_LeftoverNYstripwithryebreadforMoesbreakfastMay6th2020.thumb.jpg.59e18376811dee791f5031daa3197fd7.jpg

But he decided that he wanted it deconstructed.   

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

9 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I wish I liked breakfast.   I would have start with @shain's rice pudding.   

And then @blue_dolphin's Cassoulet Toasts and then on to @Kim Shook's pikelets.

And I would have to @liamsaunt's waffles as soon as the local strawberries are available. 

I was going to make Moe a sandwich on rye using the leftover steak from last night.

2008452851_LeftoverNYstripwithryebreadforMoesbreakfastMay6th2020.thumb.jpg.59e18376811dee791f5031daa3197fd7.jpg

But he decided that he wanted it deconstructed.   

OMG that looks good.  The only thing I would do different would be to butter the "wide" side of the bread so I could slather on a little more butter.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

430955355_Bagelandlox05-07.jpeg.1781272f20525e6e1668be2ee7f4e8ab.jpeg

Something we haven't had for a while. Bagel (toasted, because they come frozen) from Utopia Bagels (some of the better bagels available in NYC), hand-sliced Scottish smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, cherry tomatoes.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Used my wife’s recent challah bread for French toast this morning 

53A46A63-59E4-4396-95FF-6854B6F620BB.jpeg

There is no better French toast than that made with challah. Using eggs and heavy cream, and nothing else.

See "Bell-less, Whistle-less, Damn Good French Toast" on Food 52.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Got out early.  Drove over to Fillmore to Roan Mills bakery for a baguette.  Stopped on the way back to pick elderflowers to make cordial and had this treat for breakfast when I got home. 

IMG_2444.thumb.jpeg.c6d4ca5dc2b446baeaae6049ae0e3e79.jpeg

First cherries of the year from the local farmers market, these from Ken's Top Notch Produce in Reedly, CA, up in Fresno county.

The croissant was perhaps larger than is seemly but I ate it all anyway 🙃

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

@scubadoo97 – lovely French toast.  I have at least 3 different breads in the freezer destined for French toast.  I need to do that soon!

@robirdstx – Everything looks delicious, but I noticed especially that your honey can sure fry an egg! 

This morning:

IMG_2099.jpg.561b4089a5328cca05334744b19a7b55.jpg

Regular bacon, IP eggs, and no-knead baguette. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1