• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

Last matzo casserole til next year.

Potatoes, chard, onion, turmeric , pepper, curry powder.

Haminados eggs, tomato "salsa" with mint and chili, schug, tahini sauces. 

IMG_20200413_133514_1.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

Over here, in another thread, @jedovaty mentioned Brazilian pão de queijo and reminded me that I picked up a packet of frozen, bake-at-home mini pães at the farmers market a while back. 

IMG_2335.thumb.jpeg.76262c10eee55c3a65d0815de2fcb70d.jpeg

These are the cassava root flour type and are cheesy, chewy and salty.  I added a drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey and enjoyed with a tangerine & black coffee.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Over here, in another thread, @jedovaty mentioned Brazilian pão de queijo and reminded me that I picked up a packet of frozen, bake-at-home mini pães at the farmers market a while back.

I hadn't considered those might be in the local-to-me farmer's markets, I'll keep an eye out once the shut in is lifted!  Do you know if they used cassava flour, soured starch (polvilho azedo), or tapioca flour/starch?  BTW, if you've never had soured starch.. it is a feast for the nostrils worthy of any dog.  yuuuucccckkkkkk 🤢.  Surprisingly, it cooks up delicious!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

I hadn't considered those might be in the local-to-me farmer's markets, I'll keep an eye out once the shut in is lifted!  Do you know if they used cassava flour, soured starch (polvilho azedo), or tapioca flour/starch?  BTW, if you've never had soured starch.. it is a feast for the nostrils worthy of any dog.  yuuuucccckkkkkk 🤢.  Surprisingly, it cooks up delicious!

The ingredient list on the package says cassava root starch.  Maybe try contacting them via their website for more info?

IMG_2337.thumb.jpeg.36068a7d09f1e8b5a42ccb242d101684.jpeg

Didn't cook dinner last night so made it this morning. Moe had it for breakfast and I'm working today so taking it for lunch.

1637298226_SpicyGreenBeanswithPorkinBlackBeanSauceApril19th2020.thumb.jpg.3380d7d63e00931128d81a79724c7abb.jpg

Spicy Green beans with pork in a black bean sauce. Over rice.

I had one of these apple squares with my morning coffee.

2120858530_AppleCobblerShortbreadSquaresApril18th2020.thumb.jpg.655bd0cb3099ee4ff76c42eea074def7.jpg

Apple Cobbler Shortbread Squares. Baked yesterday morning. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – so freaking weird!  I have had a bag of pão de queijo in my freezer for a few months.  I saw them in the grocery store and was intrigued.  I finally made them a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed – they were very bland.  I happened to mention them to a friend who is an incredible cook and has even taught cooking classes.  I asked if she’d ever had them and what she thought.  She had (of course) eaten them.  Actually IN Brazil.  She loves them and offered to send me a recipe, which I received Saturday – the day you posted your message about them.  I can't wait to try them.  A question, though: is tapioca flour the same as tapioca starch?

Breakfast this morning was an improvisation.  Toasted thin-sliced ATK sandwich bread, spread with Salmon cream cheese and sprinkled with Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel seasoning and an IP hard cooked egg:

IMG_1907.jpg.100383953c80647e9c657adec1e5098e.jpg

That toast was great.  Not exactly an ET bagel and lox, but close enough in taste that this qualifies as a wonderful breakfast or snack! 

• Like 4

Yesterday's breakfast of salmon cream cheese and ET bagel seasoning was so good, I had two of them today:

IMG_1919.thumb.jpg.807711721939c0b02fe57506efdc7b01.jpg

I will probably be having this for awhile now.  I'm the only one who eats smoked salmon and I just started another loaf of the ATK bread a few minutes ago.  I won't post it anymore, I promise.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1/2 a BLT on toasted white bread with some Miracle Whip.

The other half is going  with us for John's lunch as we check a bluebird trail for nesting birds.

Made John gluten-free pancakes for his blueberries and maple syrup.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shakshuka. Served with tahini, schug, pickles, olives.

Opted to add some sirene and zaatar to our regular salad.

IMG_20200417_142711.thumb.jpg.76122416fb801a14e008339fd1d99c4c.jpgIMG_20200417_214146.thumb.jpg.08f617e169dcf919256ca096e47be502.jpg

I have to shakshuka recpies, for different seasons.

This one is for pepper season (winter & spring). It mostly consists of bell and mild chili peppers, some OKish tomatoes, lots of chilly. It is long cooked, so it has a deeper flavor. Spiced with ample paprika, cumin, some coriander seeds a hint of caraway.

I always serve it with tahini. Leftover sauce makes for awesome sandwiches with scrambled or fried eggs.

Recipe below (might be a bit outdated).

The summer version is made with tomatoes and hot chilies only, some garlic and paprika. Cooked briefly, so the tomatoes don't break down, and finished with cumin and sumac. I serve it with sirene or tahini.

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

For today's Instagram Apéro Hour, David Lebovitz made hot chocolate so I did, too: Chocolat Chaud from Drinking French.

754B58B9-7B54-4D1D-8EEA-8E1650C8A949_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.aa51e4ebc253a122174eec96e21e540f.jpeg

Served in one of my grandmothers Limoges chocolate cups.   I'm now on a sugar high and better go wash the floors before I crash! 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

40 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

For today's Instagram Apéro Hour, David Lebovitz made hot chocolate so I did, too: Chocolat Chaud from Drinking French.

754B58B9-7B54-4D1D-8EEA-8E1650C8A949_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.aa51e4ebc253a122174eec96e21e540f.jpeg

Served in one of my grandmothers Limoges chocolate cups.   I'm now on a sugar high and better go wash the floors before I crash! 

That is so beautiful!  It reminds me of my Limoges, but is obviously much older and lovelier.  My cups and saucers are all packed away but here is the creamer from my pattern:

IMG_1938.thumb.jpg.88c7d89b51920bcd6b7771992126e7a1.jpg

Breakfast was a sage sausage and fried egg sandwich on a brioche bun that I made yesterday:

IMG_1937.jpg.5cefb420364fd48bd1ca3a1c27fa5790.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3