• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

4F9227F8-73D9-4F8E-AB84-3201D35E4DCA.thumb.jpeg.f8e89c002dfc87514c3b34dd8d102d45.jpeg

Shin (black) Instant noodles. Spicy Pot au Feu flavour. Far more intriguing than most instant noodles. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

0A5022DF-E7D4-458C-8C97-04368E41F761.thumb.jpeg.5b154488936a3e0a85c6cd6ded7328c5.jpeg

Once again caramelized onions and blue cheese on toast. So good. I have just enough onions left to do it again and I might just do that for lunch.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N and anyone else who likes blue cheese toast, try this. GH is so fastidious I'm a little surprised she instructs you to slice the Cambazola. It isn't very sliceable in my house, even when cold. So I pay no attention to that. Also I don't bother with the microplane for the garlic, jus squeeze a bit into mix. Other types of blue cheese could probably be subbed, and we won't tell her. It's very yummy.

GABRIELLE HAMILTON’S CELERY TOAST

2 slices country white Pullman bread, 1/2-inch thick

Sweet butter

4 ounces Cambozola triple-cream blue cheese, sliced, divided evenly between two toasts

1 cup shaved celery, from the inner head, toughouter stalks removed, thinly sliced on the bias

2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias all the way up from the white through the green

1 large clove garlic

Extra-virgin olive oil

Lemon juice

Kosher salt

Several grinds black pepper

Toast the bread to golden. Butter generously, “wall to wall.” Lay cheese slices on top of buttered 

toast, neatly, evenly. In a small bowl, stir together the celery and the scallions. Microplane the 

garlic into the celery mixture.

Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, and stir very well, until completely dressed, almost wet 

with dressing. Mound the shaved celery salad evenly on top of the blue-cheese toasts, and 

grind black pepper over them very generously. Cut each in half or quarters.

**Lest anyone believe that I make this for breakfast, let me set you straight. I don't. To me, this is cooking, and if it can't be thrown in a toaster with six atoms of brain power it isn't going to happen. I love it as part of a late lunch or an app before dinner..

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

@Anna N and anyone else who likes blue cheese toast, try this. GH is so fastidious I'm a little surprised she instructs you to slice the Cambazola. It isn't very sliceable in my house, even when cold. So I pay no attention to that. Also I don't bother with the microplane for the garlic, jus squeeze a bit into mix. Other types of blue cheese could probably be subbed, and we won't tell her. It's very yummy.

There are quite a few mentions of that delicious recipe around here - and for good reason - so delicious!

This has been my breakfast for the last 3 days.  

IMG_2298.thumb.jpeg.80ef197a612ea493da834b71aad3e94b.jpeg

Sweet potato and bacon quiche with parsley from Melissa Clark's Dinner in French. Not bad but not my favorite quiche.  It is lacking aliums.

Because I am hoarding flour and am generally lazy, I used a ready-made pie crust that must have been past it's prime as it developed so many cracks.  The random slices of cheese you can see here and there were my attempts and plugging them 🙃

I put some roquefort on top of today's slice and found it an improvement. 

• Like 7

@liamsaunt - I have never in my life seen a bagel like that!  How big is it?  How do you eat it?  So many questions.  I am enamoured of sesame seeds, so the abundance of them looks so wonderful to me!!

@blue_dolphin – between you here and @chileheadmike on another thread, I am inspired to make quiche.  Just took out my recipe from the “egg” section in my recipe binder and looked at my freezer list and it looks like I have everything except enough eggs.  I should be able to get those one way or another. 

Breakfast this morning:

IMG_1772.jpg.ee9157209782adfa7800a178c06158ad.jpg

IP soft cooked eggs and my ATK sandwich bread with more butter than advised by the WHO.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now, that sandwich looks like it has been made with a slice of toast that has been split in half yielding two thin crispy slices???

I used to do that all the time at home as a youngster....that way one can use more butter because you have to butter both sides!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dim sum with chinese tea: 

Pork and crab dumplings:

49757384131_58a374e25c_z.jpg

Some pork bao:

49756947008_b6455aeebd_z.jpg

I make a good dumpling sauce.. soy sauce, vinegar, sichuan pickled soy bean, srirracha, this other chinese chili pepper sauce, sesame oil, water and this bbq sauce.  

To me, the vinegar, the bbq sauce and the pickled or fermented soy are the most important flavors.. 

49757716502_548bd80575_z.jpg

• Like 8

@BKEats 

I have that same jar of BBQ sauce !

i have not used it yet  ...

what do you think of this :

I have 2 x 2  = 4  vac's and Fz  pork belly  ' strips '

2 "  x Pork Belly length in the Fz.  w skin on them

I dont think I can manage the crispy skin these days

but i did on the Weber some time ago  , ' roasting '  the hunks

and the skin got decently crispy 

have no idea how much propane I have  

but i might think about

SV  the strips , w this BBQ sauce  

24 - 48  @  135 F  

just to get tender , and keep as much of the pork favor in the meat

then sear or something else

what do you think ?

You know, i have only used this sauce for hot pot dips and dumpling sauces.. I know there are a variety of uses.,. I have not explore these other uses. 

Reading some amazon reviews: 

This is a very unique sauce and will help you recreate various Teochew Fujianese recipes. The number one ingredient after the copious soybean oil is something shown on the ingredients as Brill Fish also known as lizardfish. These are fairly small very thin ocean going fish like a large anchovy with big teeth that really have no other use besides this style of sauce or condiment. Another related speciesof Brill fish is known as Bombay Duck in India and is sold and traded as a salted dried whole fish that is not a duck at all. In any case the fish is cooked in oil until dried and granular in consistency so this sauce is not smooth or runny but somewhat grainy for a mouthfeel. Cocounut powder and dried shrimp also add to the grainy consistency. So why use it? Because it gives a deep complex flavor to your dishes. As a Sa Cha sauce that is nothing like a Satay Sauce with peanuts, it is the product of Teochow ingenuity and helps to create a depth of flavor in your regional Chinese recipes from Taiwan and the Fujian diaspora. Give it a try but go slowly at first to see just how much Bullhead BBQ sauce you need toamp things up to your own personal taste. It is somewBut hat like a solid fish sauce of Vietnam or Thailand as a little can really change the overal taste of your dish.

"Also known as "Sa Cha Sauce" , this stuff is AWEsome!!! There are other brands but this is THE best. Don't let the name throw you off, it's NOT sweet like "BBQ sauce" we most know. AND don't run when you open it - looks like a can of coffee grounds in chocolate syrup-motor-oil and MOST important, do NOT throw away the oily part! First thing I do is transfer the stuff into an airtight plastic or better, glass container (keep stored in the fridge). This metal can is ok if you have nothing else but does leak from the top. You will need to mix well every time you use it - the ground stuff sinks to the bottom and get a big sturdy spoon. It's savory, not sweet, not too salty with a flavor hard to describe and is great by itself as a dipping sauce, marinade for shrimp, chicken ... anything. One of my favorite things to do is make a dumpling (potsticker) dipping sauce (can be used also as a marinade):"

The bulls head bbq sauce is actually sa cha sauce 

Shacha sauce (Chinese: 沙茶; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: sa-te; also spelled sa cha sauce), or paste is a Chinese condiment primarily used in Fujian, Teochew, and Taiwanese cuisines. It is made from soybean oil, garlic, shallots, chilis, brill fish, and dried shrimp. It has a savory and slightly spicy taste.

In terms of what you are thinking about,  I kind of like the idea of a char siu better.. BUt, i don't really know how it would come out.. I am thinking it's like an umami anchovy sort of thing.. Like a fish sauce would.. i make a pretty good marinade with I think brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, oil, cilantro and garlic..    So, working on those flavors, where you have the acid (lime or chinese vinegar), the fish, the sweetness (sugar or hoison), maybe some heat (ginger/garlic) and the freshness of cilnatro, it could be really good... 

"Poached" eggs on toast

IMG_2306.thumb.jpeg.9bf23399aa681963a6d5024b274a7d14.jpeg

The quotes are because I used the little silicone poach pods that I received as a gift and have been kicking around in my cupboards for years.  

I know @Anna N has used them in the Instant Pot and others have used them as well.  I just used the basic simmering water method for 4 min.  Looking down at the top of them, I feared they were over cooked but no - just right for me!

Edited by blue_dolphin
forgot photo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Omelette à la Lyonnaise from Richard Olney's book “Simple French Food”. I had a bunch of onions that were about to go bad and voilà this was the perfect solution. Onions are reduced in butter for 30 minutes, then added to 3 beaten eggs and cooked as on omelete. When done, pour some brown butter on top of the omelete. To that brown buttered pan add one tablespoon of wine vinegar, swirl it for the vinegar to meet the leftover butter brown bits and pour that on top of the omelete.

IMG_3996.thumb.jpg.d757ea6bd9c360d29c4a776c9f05d2c2.jpg

IMG_3951.thumb.jpg.6088af42b2191d605a36f1235aad1e5e.jpg

Edited by ddelima (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

@blue_dolphin - those eggs look perfect to me, too!

@ddelima - I am not normally fond of eggs with onions, but that looks so lovely that I really believe I'd like it.

Four minute IP eggs for breakfast, along with ATK sandwich bread toast:

IMG_1783.thumb.jpg.de8f5404e8fcd6ddc3ba84c843444552.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

The last few days it has been a pint of water, a small yoghurt with some tinned fruit (all of my mandarin oranges have been sacrificed for juice for Johnnybird's Amaretto sours - he likes the juice from them instead of lemon juice in the drink). I also scored a cranberry scone that was rich and flaky and two crumb buns that I cut into half or quarters.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 4/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt - I have never in my life seen a bagel like that!  How big is it?  How do you eat it?  So many questions.  I am enamoured of sesame seeds, so the abundance of them looks so wonderful to me!!

It was about six inches long.  I think traditionally they are eaten with hummus, but i just ripped off pieces and dipped them in cream cheese.

My sister baked biscuits this morning, so I had one buttered with a peppery egg

egg.thumb.jpg.a867f61dd0b7b700f3e149c1eb306fc0.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1