• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2020!

liuzhou

6AAD318E-E14B-42F1-B978-F5A404CC2328.thumb.jpeg.24487d3beee545ad04fd10542900acdb.jpeg

Breakfast yesterday morning.  Campari tomatoes on toasted rye with store-bought Caesar dressing. Not sure if it was the breakfast or the anxiety-producing news that came just before. Either way breakfast and I agreed to disagree.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Voyage, voyage while staying entertained at home......

1- Bread: White and brown  Sourdough with grain and plain rolls. German

hJCf3yL.jpg

2- Butter: Unsalted Elle&Vire. French

2DbClaB.jpg

3- Jam: Of course the famous Strawberriy Little Scarlet. British

mkUsHHF.jpg

Life is good in quarantine!

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 10

FC5DAFA7-CECD-4288-85FB-78F1AE575ED6.thumb.jpeg.ba2f2de56fc2cd7070a6cc5e7b7f7038.jpeg

Taking a page out of @Ann_T’s book. Lamb stew for breakfast along with a couple of slices of a purchased baguette from my freezer.

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Baked up a loaf of cranberry walnut bread to eat toasted with butter for breakfast this morning

1782513615_cranberrywalnutbread.thumb.jpg.ce6177c1a3795b8a946100827a00c025.jpg

cranbread.thumb.jpg.f87affa21ced8c9fe60509e1011474a6.jpg

The bread looks delicious! Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Not the best picture, but still tasty.

Hungarian lecho - caramelized onion, cabbage ,peppers, tomatoes, soft scrambled eggs. Paprika, coriander seeds, caraway, garlic, parsley, dill. Butter fried cheat spaetzle. Sour cream.

icture.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.

5FECABE8-A07E-4128-BF31-C86FA2DDDE7A.thumb.jpeg.78a79890d4b9067375bcdf67dd266718.jpeg

Cheater’s poached eggs on toast. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

What's the cheat?  Looks awfully good to me!

This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, shain said:

Hungarian lecho -

I had to look this one up and not one of the ones that I found looked anywhere near as interesting as yours. Thank you for posting this. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I've made these before.  I found they had a tendency to stick to the plastic wrap.  Did that happen to you, or did the butter rub take care of that.  A friend and I both had this issue and decided to spray the plastic with a little Pam next time.  I don't think I've done them this way again since!  🙄Good intentions!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 1:57 PM, Anna N said:

D84B100A-6616-465D-BD7F-449AFC96F346.thumb.jpeg.be25be369047ef6174bab1bfe4f8f60b.jpeg

garlic mushrooms in sour cream over toasted baguette slices.

Those mushrooms of @Anna N's have been taunting me since she posted them on Saturday.  

Sadly, no mushrooms in the house.  

Happily, I remembered that I'd roasted up the last round with some rosemary and garlic in preparation for something that was never made. 

Even more happily, they were in that super cold region of my fridge and aside from being almost frozen, seemed OK. 

I reheated them in a little oil and a splash of sherry, finished with a splash or two of whipping cream and piled them on toast

IMG_2263.thumb.jpeg.0f8fa965ef14952a0659b74bafa4359e.jpeg

I think I could eat another plate of this!

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

52 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've made these before.  I found they had a tendency to stick to the plastic wrap.  Did that happen to you, or did the butter rub take care of that.  A friend and I both had this issue and decided to spray the plastic with a little Pam next time.  I don't think I've done them this way again since!  🙄Good intentions!

No issue with sticking but I spread the butter very carefully all over.

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

on your Cheaters , what was your time and temp , if you took the temp ?

Gently boiling water no temperature taken about four minutes. Might’ve been 4 1/2. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Gently boiling water no temperature taken about four minutes. Might’ve been 4 1/2. 

That sounds similar to what I did.  The website I found the method at suggested 2 1/2 minutes.  At that point, I basically had a bag o' snot.  I think I finally settled on 4:45 to 5.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Splendid Table (ATK) method of making poached eggs sous vide.  I think I'll ask on the sous vide thread.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That sounds similar to what I did.  The website I found the method at suggested 2 1/2 minutes.  At that point, I basically had a bag o' snot.  I think I finally settled on 4:45 to 5.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Splendid Table (ATK) method of making poached eggs sous vide.  I think I'll ask on the sous vide thread.

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look up the ATK Method. 167°F x 12 mins then 1 minute in an ice bath. Fridge cold large eggs. Will definitely order my lab Assistant to attempt this one very soon. 😂

Edited by Anna N
Assistant (log)
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, curls said:

The bread looks delicious! Would you mind sharing your recipe?

The recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bread Illustrated.  Unfortunately I cannot find the recipe online.  ATK keeps their recipes behind a paywall and are pretty diligent about making bloggers take their recipes off their foodblogs.  They want their $69.95 a year for online access!  That said, if you like to bake, I highly recommend Bread Illustrated.  I have made about 75% of the recipes in the book, and have only had one clunker (which was probably due to operator error). Here is a link to the book:  

Bread Illustrated: A Step-By-Step Guide to Achieving Bakery-Quality Results At Home

• Thanks 1

801C5518-C0E8-47B1-B60D-AFFEDE373596.thumb.jpeg.128f78dc9888ae57cce2b7709c2249e9.jpeg

Pizza. The black background signifying the last remaining slice in my freezer is no more. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Pizza. The black background signifying the last remaining slice in my freezer is no more. 

It's just pining for the fjords.

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

The recipe is from the America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bread Illustrated.  Unfortunately I cannot find the recipe online.  ATK keeps their recipes behind a paywall and are pretty diligent about making bloggers take their recipes off their foodblogs.  They want their $69.95 a year for online access!  That said, if you like to bake, I highly recommend Bread Illustrated.  I have made about 75% of the recipes in the book, and have only had one clunker (which was probably due to operator error). Here is a link to the book:  

Bread Illustrated: A Step-By-Step Guide to Achieving Bakery-Quality Results At Home

Here it is.  Sometimes ATK recipes appear on The Splendid Table website or on the PBS affiliate websites.